Reload this Page >

Desperately Seeking Support

Desperately Seeking Support

Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:12 pm
JGJ
Just Joined

JGJ will become famous soon enoughJGJ will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Desperately Seeking Support

Thank you Duncan. I was scratching my head, thinking how was it possible to have a card thru 2018 if there was all these things I hadn't done.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:11 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JGJ
What are the real advantages of citizenship?
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Pros_a...US_Citizenship
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:20 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JGJ
I have been married for more than 2 years. So what are these conditions you speak of. I do apologise, maybe I have been living in a bubble. But hey it's burst now and I have to make things right. Encouragement and positive advice is what I need now.
Just to get the entire picture, I will ask if you recall the first green card you received. Did it expire in 2 years? If so, then did you file form I-751 for removal of conditions 90 days before it expired?

You see a 2 year green card means you were a conditional permanent resident. The conditions were that you were still married to your spouse who sponsored you for the green card. If you were and could prove it, then the conditions were removed and you were sent a 10 year green card. On the surface that is what it sounds like what happened.

Your date to start counting toward naturalization is the date you first became a resident/green card holder.

You have all the support you need. We are all only a fingertip away.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:26 pm
JGJ
Just Joined

Yes the file form I-751 went through. I then got issued another card which takes them to 2018. Thank you for taking your time to help.

Sorry I seem a bit foggy about everything, that's how my brain is at the moment. I didn't think that my card was an issue as it was good to 2018. A lot of the communications early seemed to cause a panic in the ranks. Which then also caused concern to myself. Anyway alls well that ends well. I'll get where I'm going.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:41 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Well my 2c worth

Same kinda situation won't go into all the details but I was alone out here and stuck it out, and I am so pleased that I did, this is my home and I am proud to live in the US infact I have just filed for my Citizenship

I think you have to ask yourself "what do I have to go back to in the UK"?
and "I have been given an opportunity to live in a country that some folk would give their right arm for, should I at least give it a go"?

I know when I was alone out here I did not know where or who to turn too, but I think I must of had a guardian angel.

Personally given your situation I would say give it a go at least until you get your citizenship.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 10:57 pm
JGJ
Just Joined

Thank you Poppy Girl The value of your reply is well worth more than 2c.

Don't the "details" get boring. I try to keep on the bright side.

I asked myself the exact questions you mentioned. There really is nothing more for me in the UK than there is here. And as I said earlier my $'s won't get me very far there. I also took into account that I had my green card and I am certainly not ungrateful for that. That is why I thought I would stay and give it a go. I have travelled a lot and gave up my life in the UK to go by myself to live in Honduras, so I am happy in my own company and quite adventurous. My confidence has just taken a knock recently.

Today, people like you are making a huge difference to me.

My initial question really was. Can anyone suggest a really great place to live in the US. Cleveland, Ohio is great, but I don't like dealing with the snow and driving in the ice. I can live with it but if I have a choice I would prefer not too. The US is my oyster, I would like to experience more of it.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 11:02 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JGJ
Thank you Poppy Girl The value of your reply is well worth more than 2c.

Don't the "details" get boring. I try to keep on the bright side.

I asked myself the exact questions you mentioned. There really is nothing more for me in the UK than there is here. And as I said earlier my $'s won't get me very far there. I also took into account that I had my green card and I am certainly not ungrateful for that. That is why I thought I would stay and give it a go. I have travelled a lot and gave up my life in the UK to go by myself to live in Honduras, so I am happy in my own company and quite adventurous. My confidence has just taken a knock recently.

Today, people like you are making a huge difference to me.

My initial question really was. Can anyone suggest a really great place to live in the US. Cleveland, Ohio is great, but I don't like dealing with the snow and driving in the ice. I can live with it but if I have a choice I would prefer not too. The US is my oyster, I would like to experience more of it.
I started in Illinois and moved to Louisiana and setttled in CA you might find a place that suits you based on your professional skills and interests

Funny I like my own company, and have travelled all over the world mainly alone so we have more in common then you might think.

Good luck to you
Old Apr 1st 2010, 11:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Decide if it makes a difference if the state has income tax. If that is important then choose from one of the following states.

Alaska (you'll get a year end check from the government from oil revenues).
Florida (corporate only)
Nevada
New Hampshire (interest and dividends only plus business tax)
South Dakota (corporate only)
Texas
Washington (Business & Occupation only)
Wyoming

If you like weather similar to the UK (but normally not as bad), you could choose Washington or Oregon. This is moderate/expensive area.

If you like dry heat, then you should like California, Nevada, Arizona, or New Mexico. All except California are fairly inexpensive. Anything along the coast of California (except 100 miles north of San Francisco) is very mild but also very expensive. Inland cities such as Sacramento, Fresno, or Modesto are very hot, fairly inexpensive, and the cities are also fairly small.

Just about anywhere in the south will be relatively inexpensive but is humid.

Last edited by Michael; Apr 1st 2010 at 11:46 pm.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 11:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

traceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond reputetraceym has a reputation beyond repute

JGJ and Poppy Girl,

You are an inspiration to anyone going through bad times.

JGJ, you are not alone, good luck to you, x
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 12:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michael
New Hampshire (interest and dividends only plus business tax)
No sales tax either...but property tax is through the roof.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 1:47 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JGJ

Hey there, glad you're finding some good thoughts and nice people here.

Besides Not Cleveland and no snow/ice, what sort of place do you like? We just had a very nice thread about Seattle/Portland/Pacific NW. Of course I'm biased, but this is the nicest part of the US.
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:06 am
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

I quite fancy Phoenix myself, but I've not even been there yet!

JGJ, about your finances, are you co-signed on any loans and credit cards with your husband?
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond reputeJan Alaska has a reputation beyond repute

[Alaska (you'll get a year end check from the government from oil revenues).]

No we dont pay income tax here, yes we get oil dividends after a full year qualifying period, last years $1,031 is way short of even my natural gas bill for the winter months. The cost of living is very high here. The only benefit in living in AK is that its beautiful and if you love long winters and indeed winter sports then its the place for you. The OP mentioned she didnt like driving on ice ... AK is not the place for her I still have over a foot of snow in my yard!
Old Apr 2nd 2010, 2:40 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Well my 2c worth

Same kinda situation won't go into all the details but I was alone out here and stuck it out, and I am so pleased that I did, this is my home and I am proud to live in the US infact I have just filed for my Citizenship

I think you have to ask yourself "what do I have to go back to in the UK"?
and "I have been given an opportunity to live in a country that some folk would give their right arm for, should I at least give it a go"?

I know when I was alone out here I did not know where or who to turn too, but I think I must of had a guardian angel.

Personally given your situation I would say give it a go at least until you get your citizenship.
Same here. When my marriage broke up after three years in the US it never crossed my mind to return to the UK -- I had a good job here, earning more than I could hope to in the UK, had made good friends, and was enjoying NYC. In that pre-Internet age, I had lost contact with all my friends in London pretty rapidly and I think that had created a sink-or-swim situation long before the marriage broke up, so I had no hesitation in picking up the pieces and moving on in my new country.

Wishing you the best.
Old Apr 3rd 2010, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

muni is a name known to allmuni is a name known to allmuni is a name known to allmuni is a name known to allmuni is a name known to allmuni is a name known to allmuni is a name known to allmuni is a name known to allmuni is a name known to allmuni is a name known to allmuni is a name known to all

JGJ
I take my hat off to you, good on ya girl, i really feel for you and can understand totally what you are going through.
I came back to the UK and ohhhhh boy big mistake, so iam doing everything i can to get back again pronto.
I wish you well in your future.
Muni

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.