Reload this Page >

Desperately Seeking Support

Desperately Seeking Support

Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:14 pm
JGJ
Just Joined

JGJ will become famous soon enoughJGJ will become famous soon enough
Default Desperately Seeking Support

Well, I'm living in the US. I moved here in 2006 and got married to an American guy. I was personally very solvent and independent. My husband had debt. I know, I know. What a fool I am. My husband has now decided that he is not the marrying kind and wants me to disappear. And if you haven't guessed already. All my money has gone, what a surprise. Anyway, I am able to stay where I am for several months, so I'm trying to stash as much cash as I can. My dilemma is do I go back to the UK, which will be an expensive transition or I'm thinking I will stay in the US. So the USA is my oyster. I've found it very hard to try to work this all out on my own without someone to talk to that will understand how it feels to be alone here. Can anyone suggest a really safe, friendly, great place that I might like to move to in the US to get a fresh start (I don't really like driving in the ice and snow, so would like to try to avoid that). I work from home so basically it's picking my life up and putting it down somewhere else. I still have my British spirit and determination, I will survive.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:25 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Desperately Seeking Support

Originally Posted by JGJ
Well, I'm living in the US. I moved here in 2006 and got married to an American guy. I was personally very solvent and independent. My husband had debt. I know, I know. What a fool I am. My husband has now decided that he is not the marrying kind and wants me to disappear. And if you haven't guessed already. All my money has gone, what a surprise. Anyway, I am able to stay where I am for several months, so I'm trying to stash as much cash as I can. My dilemma is do I go back to the UK, which will be an expensive transition or I'm thinking I will stay in the US. So the USA is my oyster. I've found it very hard to try to work this all out on my own without someone to talk to that will understand how it feels to be alone here. Can anyone suggest a really safe, friendly, great place that I might like to move to in the US to get a fresh start (I don't really like driving in the ice and snow, so would like to try to avoid that). I work from home so basically it's picking my life up and putting it down somewhere else. I still have my British spirit and determination, I will survive.
Sorry to hear of your difficult situation. Where are you now? You might want to stick with a familiar area rather than moving somewhere completely new - at least in the short term.

In the long term - why do you want to stay in the US.......... all by yourself? At some point - not necessarily now......... let the dust settle - you'll want to think about your long-term goals and aspirations, and where those are most likely to be met.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:34 pm
JGJ
Just Joined

I'm in Cleveland, Ohio. I will be here for at least the next 8 months, so no decision is immediate. I'm just weighing up my options.
I thought I might stay here because I went through the trouble and expense of getting my green card. I also have possessions here. I wanted to try to build my finances up if I go back to the UK I will be starting from scratch.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:36 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JGJ
I'm in Cleveland, Ohio. I will be here for at least the next 8 months, so no decision is immediate. I'm just weighing up my options.
I thought I might stay here because I went through the trouble and expense of getting my green card. I also have possessions here. I wanted to try to build my finances up if I go back to the UK I will be starting from scratch.
Good plan. Get your citizenship and keep your options open
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JGJ
I'm in Cleveland, Ohio.
Well, at least you're in a cheap city to get back on your feet.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:45 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

How long you had your greencard? Got the conditions removed yet?

Good luck!
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:48 pm
JGJ
Just Joined

I've had my card since 2006. I expires in 2018. What conditions?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

If you got it via marriage and you were married less than 2 years then you get a conditional card that's valid for 2 years. You have to remove those conditions up to 90 days before the 2 year period is up in order to get your full green card. It sounds like you did that since you would have got your 10 year card in 2008 which would have been right on the time frame. Are you eligible to file for citizenship now? It took mine about 3 months gong through the Cleveland office.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:58 pm
JGJ
Just Joined

I'd like to thank everyone that has responded to my post. I feel revived already.

What are the real advantages of citizenship?
Old Apr 1st 2010, 7:58 pm
Homebody

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
If you got it via marriage and you were married less than 2 years then you get a conditional card that's valid for 2 years. You have to remove those conditions up to 90 days before the 2 year period is up in order to get your full green card. It sounds like you did that since you would have got your 10 year card in 2008 which would have been right on the time frame. Are you eligible to file for citizenship now? It took mine about 3 months gong through the Cleveland office.
She can't be eligible now if she only got her GC in 2006 and the marriage is down the pan. She'd have to wait till 2011.

A bit worrying though that she doesn't know about the conditions - hope she got that taken care of.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:01 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

You are not alone in having been used and discarded. Let me introduce you to muni originally from the UK who married an American in Alaska and was left high and dry by a husband who also wanted her to disappear. She returned to the UK and is now regretting it.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...79&postcount=1

First off, protect yourself financially, emotionally and physically. Get your hands on all the immigration document you can and also on any evidence of a marriage of good faith. Don't let on what you are doing, just do it.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira
She can't be eligible now if she only got her GC in 2006 and the marriage is down the pan. She'd have to wait till 2011.
It might be bending the rules a little but if there is no divorce and they are still have the same address then maybe a good lawyer could get her in on the 3 year criteria.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:04 pm
JGJ
Just Joined

Than you Rete. I'm going to see a lawyer next week. To make sure I'm am covered with my green card etc.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:06 pm
JGJ
Just Joined

I have been married for more than 2 years. So what are these conditions you speak of. I do apologise, maybe I have been living in a bubble. But hey it's burst now and I have to make things right. Encouragement and positive advice is what I need now.
Old Apr 1st 2010, 8:09 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

If your card expires in 2018 then you must have gone through the process because they don't issue 12 year greencards.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.