Dentist

Old Jul 29th 2009, 10:41 am
Forum Regular

mamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond reputemamasue has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dentist

We actually ha d a good time in Hungary.... we were picked up from the airport, given a free apartment to stay in.... did all the 'touristy' things, and had a great time!
We stayed in a city called Balaton Heviz... a spa town, so there were many tourists there
I also had the bonus of being able to speak fluent Hungarian, as my mother was Hungarian....
But... everybody we dealt with spoke fluent English!!
I would definitely go there again!
Old Jul 30th 2009, 4:19 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Bob
same reason consultants still like to be called Dr over here
I thought it was because they actually had to go through med school like other docs, kinda.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:29 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The_English_Bride
I thought it was because they actually had to go through med school like other docs, kinda.
that too
Old Jul 30th 2009, 10:42 am
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulieinAustin
Yep, my brother in law was told he would need $8,000 worth of work in Miami... he decided to get a second opinion back home in Israel where funny enough they told him there was nothing wrong with his teeth!!!!
Perhaps that says more about the quality of Israeli dentistry rather than the state of his teeth.
Old Jul 30th 2009, 12:39 pm
Forum Regular

JulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud ofJulieinAustin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
Perhaps that says more about the quality of Israeli dentistry rather than the state of his teeth.
Couldn't possibly be that the dentist here was on the fiddle then..
Old Jul 30th 2009, 1:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulieinAustin
Couldn't possibly be that the dentist here was on the fiddle then..
Heaven forbid
Old Jul 31st 2009, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

The_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to allThe_English_Bride is a name known to all

I totally have a phobia about going to the dentist and it took me a little while to get back into the swing again out here. I've always gone every six months back home (despite almost having a panic attack each time). I finally booked an appointment because I had some pain and it wasn't half as bad as seeing a dentist back home - the guy was actually nice to me!

Nah, I think dentists are fine back home. I've barely had anything done to my teeth except braces, and the dentist out here said my teeth were in excellent condition. I will say he wanted me to have surgery for the pain I went to see him about, but I think that was needed.

I can't believe that so many people have gone to see a dentist here and been told they need to have all this work done (or re-done). I think sometimes you have to get a second opinion just to be sure. The cost involved would bother me, but i think i'd be more annoyed that they wanted to do work on my teeth that wasn't needed.
Old Jul 31st 2009, 1:22 am
Not here much

neil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond reputeneil has a reputation beyond repute

What people think of your teeth in the US is totally superficial. American friends have commented that I have great teeth but the reality is not that great in that I have more fillings than I really should - yes, they might look OK, but that's not the point and they seem to miss that.

My dentist is great, he does keep trying to get me to have my wisdom teeth out, but every time I point out they're not causing me any trouble he doesn't really push it. He does point out that they could cause problems, but for me that's not a good enough reason.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 11:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neil
What people think of your teeth in the US is totally superficial. American friends have commented that I have great teeth but the reality is not that great in that I have more fillings than I really should - yes, they might look OK, but that's not the point and they seem to miss that.
The issues of self-confidence are hard understand. It's easy to say that it is a superficial issue, but if your teeth look good, you can't really comment on what it's like to have teeth that don't look good. Mine are a mess and I'd feel better if they were more attractive; just like I feel better after a haircut or a shower ...

Originally Posted by neil
My dentist is great, he does keep trying to get me to have my wisdom teeth out, but every time I point out they're not causing me any trouble he doesn't really push it. He does point out that they could cause problems, but for me that's not a good enough reason.
Just two things to keep in mind - do it before you get too old because the healing time gets longer, and do it while you still have good insurance!
Old Aug 1st 2009, 11:33 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Wait till the work has been completed and all the bills are in before you sing too many praises! I'm generally very happy with the quality of the dental work here, although the out-of-pocket costs are significantly higher. But a crown (Molar) that was put on 6 months ago is not working ... I'm facing a probable root-canal and then a battle with them over what to do next; they would rather die than do an extraction, but I'm convinced this is going to be better than the various options they will want me to pursue. I have that fun to look forward to in the next month or so ...
After seeing all the pain my mom and other friends who have had root canal's done and the issues and pain over the years, I always refused them. I just say I need to pay cash, dont have the money and no insurance and they will drop trying to do more exspensive work.

Downside is you loose the tooth but mine were all in the back not visible so not a big deal.

But dental care is too exspensive in Canada/US to go for preventive so I only go when I am in pain....

Originally Posted by Ash UK/US
On the subjects of dentist, why do they call themselves doctors? So they sound more important?
Because they have advanced degrees which result in either a doctor of dental surgery or doctor of dental medicine.

Before one can enter dental school, they already posses a undergraduate degree.

Same reason vets (doctor in vet. medicine degree) are called doctors.

I'd say the least doctor of all degrees are the various forms of academic Phd's.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 12:47 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
After seeing all the pain my mom and other friends who have had root canal's done and the issues and pain over the years, I always refused them. I just say I need to pay cash, dont have the money and no insurance and they will drop trying to do more exspensive work.

Downside is you loose the tooth but mine were all in the back not visible so not a big deal.

But dental care is too exspensive in Canada/US to go for preventive so I only go when I am in pain....
I'm more than happy to have my tooth extracted; it's also in the back and has no 'visual' relevance. However, the dentist keeps telling me you don't want to lose one tooth because then the adjacent teeth will move, get looser, etc. I'm not sure whether to give this much credence . but it has a ring of truth to it. I have an appt. this week so I'll be determining my options.

Regarding preventive - I'd highly recommend a cleaning once every 6 months, and of course a good 'home regimen' of flossing. I didn't used to floss, and didn't get cleanings; I had a LOT of problems. Nowadays, in general, with flossing and cleaning, I've been almost trouble-free (the tooth in question above is a cracked tooth, originally filled decades ago). Also - I had terrible bad breath due to poor oral hygiene (trapped food, basically) - my g/f was good enough to politely tell me this one day, and once I started the flossing and cleaning, I could tell the difference.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

Good timing on this thread. I've had one filling my whole life and NO dental problems.

Broke a tooth while travelling with work last month. Called a dentist near work when I got home and he had me come in and had a look (Visit #1). Said to make an appt to come back for a filling - did and got the composite filling (visit #2). Came back for a cleaning (visit #3). Came back to get my upper amalgam filling looked at as it was hurting me. He pulled it off and said there was decay underneath laying on the nerve and proceeded to do a root canal (visit #4). Went back later that week for rest of root preparation and sealing (visit #5). He says I need 2-3 more visits when I get back from my vacation to Australia to get a crown fitted.

From no dental problems to root canal and crown, and 7-8 visits to the dentist within 6 weeks! Are you kidding me?

Have temp filling over it now and it's killing me - will probably go to my dentist back home in Aus and get a second opinion.

This US dentist also told me my bite is crooked and wearing my teeth down and I need some fancy corrective work. What a crock of crap. Definitely going to find a new dentist - feel like I'm at a used car dealership when I'm there, and I hate when they don't tell me upfront how many visits it will take and what is involved. Like being a girl going to a mechanic - you have to take their word for it!
Old Aug 1st 2009, 1:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm more than happy to have my tooth extracted; it's also in the back and has no 'visual' relevance. However, the dentist keeps telling me you don't want to lose one tooth because then the adjacent teeth will move, get looser, etc. I'm not sure whether to give this much credence . but it has a ring of truth to it. I have an appt. this week so I'll be determining my options.

Regarding preventive - I'd highly recommend a cleaning once every 6 months, and of course a good 'home regimen' of flossing. I didn't used to floss, and didn't get cleanings; I had a LOT of problems. Nowadays, in general, with flossing and cleaning, I've been almost trouble-free (the tooth in question above is a cracked tooth, originally filled decades ago). Also - I had terrible bad breath due to poor oral hygiene (trapped food, basically) - my g/f was good enough to politely tell me this one day, and once I started the flossing and cleaning, I could tell the difference.
Probably depends on how ones mouth is set up. When I had all my teeth they were crammed in there tight, so when I lost one molar on each side one from an accident and the other just shattered, the other teeth moved back but because of the lack of room, they just became nicer looking and more straight, and it allowed room for the wisdom teeth.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 2:16 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

There's no doubt that an empty space will result, in time, with the adjoining teeth moving and loosening. Having a crown, bridge or implant would negate that but I think the decision to have it done vs an extraction and ending up with the space is much dependent on your age. If you're relatively young then I think following dentist's advice is correct but if older, it's probably not necessary. When I had the first extraction of my adult life a year ago my dentist said a bridge/implant wasn't an urgent necessity at my age.
ps. I'm auld.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

Paulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nice

From my experience i have lost a few back teeth and none of my other teeth have moved at all and it causes no inconvenience whatsoever