Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

DeLay wants a court review

Wikiposts

DeLay wants a court review

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 4:24 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: DeLay wants a court review

Originally Posted by Franklin
The system of checks and balances worked, and with regard to this specific aspect of the Terri matter, we should all rejoice.
Which is why, in my opinion, Delay's continued bitching on the matter and his utterance "of holding the men whom let this happen to account" scares the pants off me.
it's not his position.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 5:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
Which is why, in my opinion, Delay's continued bitching on the matter and his utterance "of holding the men whom let this happen to account" scares the pants off me.
it's not his position.
but then he's a *****wit...and scarily, seems to be doing quite nicely out of it..
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 5:36 pm
Franklin

Originally Posted by Manc
it's not his position.
Well, if that the peak of your worries, then you are a lucky man indeed!

Tom DeLay can spout off as much as he likes, the U.S. Supreme Court (U.S. S. Ct.) refused to hear the Terri Schiavo case de-novo. End of story. Tom DeLay doesn't appoint Chief Justices to the U.S. C. Ct. That's the bottom line.

From what I can remember of my Con Law classes at law school, so I am on memory mode here (please feel free to correct my memory), the last time a salvo was fired across the bow of the U.S. S. Ct. was when President Johnson threatened to pack the U.S. S. Ct. with new Chief Justices more to his liking. Johnson was upset that the U.S. S. Ct. torpedoed his Civil Rights legislation, struck it down (yes, not really his, after all Congress passes legislation, but it was legislation that Johnson proposed to Congress), Johnson was upset about it and on information and belief pointed out that the U.S. Constitution said nothing about the number of Chief Justices in the U.S. S. Ct. So he threatened to add some more ("pack the court"), to dilute out the over bearing influence, as Johnson saw it, of overly conservative Chief Justices who struck down "his" legislation. This aggressive talk seemed to frighten the then Chief Justices who became more liberal about passing Johnson's Civil Rights legislation.

Don't forget, at one time the U.S. S. Ct. regarded African Americans as chattel, an appalling and unspeakable time when the U.S. S. Ct. failed to protect the fundamental rights of liberty and freedom for ALL AMERICANS. The modern day version of the U.S. S. Ct. is a totally different version of its former self, and African Americans finally got the vote, etc.

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 7:01 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Well, if that the peak of your worries, then you are a lucky man indeed!
Actually, it's right up there with the peak of my worries, cos the SCOTUS wasn't whom DeLay was threatening. Because he's made so many threats like this in the past, it's basically *ANYONE WHO DISAGREED WITH HIM*.

And he makes good on it too. He *****ed up our federal Congress representation through forcing the Republicans in the Texas Legislature to gerrymander the districts. My city, the only liberal city in Texas, has SEVEN US congressional districts. It looks like you cut a pie into seven pieces and the slices radiate out to include a good "healthy" portion of Republicana Texas.

The guy is an extremely powerful demagogue who is used to getting what he wants. I think in this case he'll start with making sure Judge Greer is ousted. But he'll also make damn sure Florida votes in a "healthy" number of Republicans. The Republicans in the Florida legislature who did not vote for the revision to Florida law that would have given Terri's parents rights to contest her living will -- they're history.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 7:58 pm
Franklin

*nods* ... I see where you are coming from, but you’re talking intra-party politics. If a Republican wants some Republicans pushed out of power that is not a Judiciary matter. It's party-politic.

As to boundaries, the Courts can look at it, but will only change the boundaries if there is a lack of rational basis for the selecting particular boundaries. Essentially, it is a party political matter. From memory, the party in power has the greatest say where the boundaries are drawn, but the boundaries can be challenged in court, but to get the Court to interfere in such decisions can be a hard slog; from what I remember from my Con Law classes, the burdeon of proof is set pretty high.

I don't dispute DeLay is used to getting what he wants, but so long as he stays within constitutional set boundaries I don't see an issue, just straw man arguments that hold no water.

There might be a lot of political fall out over the Terri Schiavo case. The religious "right" will probably fire up and seek new laws. It will be interesting to see which groups align and partner up. The seniors in Florida who are a strong voting block might be tapped for getting FL state law changed. Perhaps it might have been better for the husband to have allowed the tube back in so that the saga could have gone on the back burner. People seem to have short memories, perhaps people will forget. Either way, neither the governor of FL or the President of the USA is going to suffer at the next election cycle, their short term future in politics is pretty much decided already!

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Actually, it's right up there with the peak of my worries, cos the SCOTUS wasn't whom DeLay was threatening. Because he's made so many threats like this in the past, it's basically *ANYONE WHO DISAGREED WITH HIM*.

And he makes good on it too. He *****ed up our federal Congress representation through forcing the Republicans in the Texas Legislature to gerrymander the districts. My city, the only liberal city in Texas, has SEVEN US congressional districts. It looks like you cut a pie into seven pieces and the slices radiate out to include a good "healthy" portion of Republicana Texas.

The guy is an extremely powerful demagogue who is used to getting what he wants. I think in this case he'll start with making sure Judge Greer is ousted. But he'll also make damn sure Florida votes in a "healthy" number of Republicans. The Republicans in the Florida legislature who did not vote for the revision to Florida law that would have given Terri's parents rights to contest her living will -- they're history.

Last edited by Franklin; Apr 3rd 2005 at 8:00 pm.

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 8:38 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

*nods* ... I see where you are coming from, but you’re talking intra-party politics. If a Republican wants some Republicans pushed out of power that is not a Judiciary matter. It's party-politic.

I don't dispute DeLay is used to getting what he wants, but so long as he stays within constitutional set boundaries I don't see an issue, just straw man arguments that hold no water.
Assuming for a moment that DeLay has stayed within bounds (which isn't true, but okay), the very real implication is that he will replace moderate Republicans AND Democrats with rabid zealots. This has huge implications for everyone. The man looks for reasons to ***** with people he doesn't think are Right enough.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 8:46 pm
Franklin

Assuming for a moment that DeLay has stayed within bounds (which isn't true, but okay), the very real implication is that he will replace moderate Republicans AND Democrats with rabid zealots. This has huge implications for everyone. The man looks for reasons to ***** with people he doesn't think are Right enough.
*nods* I hear ya!

But intra/inter-party-politic is not a matter for the courts, its outside their Constituational box/remit.

... and anyway, it will all come out OK in the wash!

Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:37 pm
Lapine Member

... and anyway, it will all come out OK in the wash!
Yeah, but who wants to be laundered?!

Tell you what, you give me your UK passport, and hop into the clothes washer -- your choice of top or front loading. I'd rather not stick around.
Old Apr 3rd 2005, 9:52 pm
Franklin

Yeah, but who wants to be laundered?!

Tell you what, you give me your UK passport, and hop into the clothes washer -- your choice of top or front loading. I'd rather not stick around.

*LOL* ... I can't make my mind up ... front or top ... top or front. I think my UK passport is about to expire ... *LOL* I need to replace it with a new one.