Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A date which will live in infamy ....

A date which will live in infamy ....

Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:31 am
Not dead yet

Thydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond reputeThydney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A date which will live in infamy ....

Originally Posted by Leslie66
Pearl Harbor was something that happened in just a few hours in a very specific and isolated area.
to Britain 3000 deaths in a couple of hours isn't considered a lot, the country has a long history of losing more than that in war. 60,000 on the First day of the Somme
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:31 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rushman
Yes, you really should brush up on your English.
I meant on your part ... pest. English is my forte.

When it comes to math or directions, I don't claim to know a thing.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see why we can't discuss both. The deaths at Pearl Harbor were horrible.... but they are now a part of history. History should always be questioned and debated. There is no disrespect.... in fact total respect. Those that gave their lives that day did so for the sake of the entire world and the freedoms we enjoy today. The discussion and debate is over what the government did or did not do. Nothing would ever be said against the innocents that died.
Well said. I think what rubbed me the wrong way was the reference to x number of people died here vs. x number of people died here. Not really the point.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:32 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, you brought the p-51 Mustangs powered by our Rolls Royce Merlins engines.......but you might aswell have kept them...we had the far better Spitfires and Hurricanes.

Still the p-51 was kinda "quaint' in an antiquated sort of way.
The P-51 was a fantastic aircraft. Who gives a s*** over the engine. The thing just worked. You have to give the plane credit, especially since it had better range, service level, and was a perfect match for the Luftwaffe.

BTW, the Rolls Royce engine is music to my ears. What a beautiful sounding engine, especially when you have several of them in the sky at once. Awesome!

Last edited by ugacrew; Dec 8th 2007 at 12:35 am.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:39 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ugacrew
There's a lot to add about what our government did or didn't do. I was watching the History Channel today and learned about the 'unnecessary' delays of telegrams and transmissions. There's sooo much to cover about that topic, especially now since once classified documents about the incident are still coming to light. BTW, how much time do you have?
One thing that I've always found to be unfortunately overlooked is that prior to Peal Harbor, Roosevelt was antagonizing the shit out of the Japanese. By imposing impossible sanctions and terms on Japan (with regard to their withdrawal from occupation of China at the time) he was literally taunting them into some sort of US attack. This was another sophisticated ploy that may or may not have been influenced by Churchill.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:41 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

The P-51 was a fantastic aircraft. Who gives a s*** over the engine. The thing just worked. You have to give the plane credit, especially since it had better range, service level, and was a perfect match for the Luftwaffe.
You'd give a toss if you had one with the Allison engines and all the rest of your sqadron had the Merlin.

Bloody thing wouldnt have even been built with the RAF anyway and come to think of it, it was the RAF that named it aswell, you lot were going to call it by some native American name I cant remember.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:41 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Well said. I think what rubbed me the wrong way was the reference to x number of people died here vs. x number of people died here. Not really the point.
Too right. It doesn't matter. And besides .... it's apples and oranges.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:43 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

BTW, the Rolls Royce engine is music to my ears. What a beautiful sounding engine, especially when you have several of them in the sky at once. Awesome!
Whatever anyone else tells you....it is primarily thanks to the Rolls Royce Merlin engine that us Brits dont speak German.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:47 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

One thing that I've always found to be unfortunately overlooked is that prior to Peal Harbor, Roosevelt was antagonizing the shit out of the Japanese. By imposing impossible sanctions and terms on Japan (with regard to their withdrawal from occupation of China at the time) he was literally taunting them into some sort of US attack. This was another sophisticated ploy that may or may not have been influenced by Churchill.
There is good argument that he WAS purposefully taunting the Japanese because his back was up to the wall. He couldn't strike and let that fly with the American public. You could say it was his strategy all along. It was pretty much a two'fer because of the alliance between Japan and Germany (who ironically are two among our best allies).
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:49 am
Riding on silver wings

You'd give a toss if you had one with the Allison engines and all the rest of your sqadron had the Merlin.

Bloody thing wouldnt have even been built with the RAF anyway and come to think of it, it was the RAF that named it aswell, you lot were going to call it by some native American name I cant remember.
You know the name doesn't matter at the end of the day. It could have been called the P-51 Pink Bunny and it still would have been effective.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:52 am
Account Closed

You know the name doesn't matter at the end of the day. It could have been called the P-51 Pink Bunny and it still would have been effective.
No...this is a P-51 Pink Bunny....cant see many Germans getting killed by this.
Attached Thumbnails A date which will live in infamy ....-p-51-pink-bunny.jpg  
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:56 am
Riding on silver wings

No...this is a P-51 Pink Bunny....cant see many Germans getting killed by this.
It's all about sex to you. What a disappointment. Anyway, where were we.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:57 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I heard it was the Brits who intercepted the transmission?
every event in history has a conspiracy theory of some sort
So did I and Churchill kept schtum until the last minute tio bring them into the war.
Found it. I had to go to the NPR archives from 3 years ago;

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4205617

Last edited by Lord Lionheart; Dec 8th 2007 at 1:02 am.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:58 am
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
Found it. I had to go to the NPR archives fro 3 years ago;

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...toryId=4205617
Thank you for your research effort!
Old Dec 8th 2007, 1:39 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Alright Snowbunny - what he said. Not a contest.
What I said was that at the time the Brits were said to be relieved at the US entering the war. They'd lost tens of thousands of civilians and soldiers and the point I was trying to make (badly) was that while I'm sure that everyone was sorry about the loss of life, the Brits were glad the US had joined the effort.

I'm paraphrasing what I've read on the subject, including Churchill's autobiography. I see the numeric comparisons made all the time in war; to some people it matters, to others one death is no less than one hundred.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.