Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A date which will live in infamy ....

A date which will live in infamy ....

Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:13 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A date which will live in infamy ....

Originally Posted by Rushman
I havent actually read through this thread but who was the Brit that disrespected US deaths at Pearl by playing mentioning the US never entered the conflict prior or mentioned the Blitz death toll?
Didn't say a Brit disrespected US deaths. I actually was just thinking it was an ironic conversation among Americans.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:14 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

No, I think the reason Brits dont feel as strongly about Pearl harbour is because ...we're Brits. It didnt happen to us so although abhorrant to us, we were not directly or emotionally affected as much as USC's so therefore it is not held in as much reverence to us.
No, I don't expect reverence - I'm more interested in the significance.

From an American perspective it was a time in history that America was still reeling and recovering from WWI and the subsequent depression. The majority of American citizens were uneducated at the time and the voting public was still largely rural or blue collar. Isolationism was a natural response as the people were just tired and broke and scared. WW2 seem to be something that was far enough away that it would never effect their lives on a personal basis.

It was under the shadow of all of this that Roosevelt was elected. In his attempt to actually serve the wishes of constituency (something unheard of today) he was forced to stay out of the war even though he knew it was best that America join the war.

I think we'd be silly to totally dismiss the thought that there was conspiracy between Roosevelt and Churchill. Roosevelt knew what needed to be done but wasn't seasoned enough to make it happen ..... Churchill was cunning and persuasive enough to have (perhaps) shown him the way.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:14 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I can't imagine the Brits would compare Peal Harbor to the Blitz. The Blitz was an ongoing campaign lasting for months and months, changed a landscape, changed a country and killed thousands of more people than Pearl Harbor. Pearl Harbor was something that happened in just a few hours in a very specific and isolated area. Two totally different scenarios the only common strand is that they happened during the same war.

It may have been 2,500 miles away but it affected this country deeply. You could call it our first 9/11 in way that it affected our sense of security. They were Americans first and foremost. The geography between doesn't lessen that fact.

I was thinking more along the lines that Brits might still be pissed off that it took Pearl Harbor to actually get the US into the war effort but apparently (from the results of this thread anyway) nobody gives a turd any more.

You could say that this is a case of 'damned if you do, damned if you don't'. I think today if we held the stance of keeping ourselves out of foreign affairs we would be lauded for that, but we don't. We learned our lesson from keeping that stance then. We reversed our stance and revisited the idea of Woodrow Wilson's League of Nations. A idea that was great at the time but lacked the support of the US. That being one of the myriad of reasons why it never lasted.
No, I think the reason Brits dont feel as strongly about Pearl harbour is because ...we're Brits. It didnt happen to us so although abhorrant to us, we were not directly or emotionally affected as much as USC's so therefore it is not held in as much reverence to us.
I can agree with that.

I should stop posting on this thread. I feel like I'm doing an essay. It's
Friday and I should be getting pissed instead of talking about history, which in my mind is filled with a bunch of revisions. Including mine.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:17 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by KJ2007
Didn't say a Brit disrespected US deaths. I actually was just thinking it was an ironic conversation among Americans.
OK then I apologise if I appeared bullish.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:18 am
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not saying that the Europeans don't have a right to be angry that the US didn't come to their aid earlier. I'm not saying that all.

But bitching about that on a day when thousands lost their life in a surprise attack would seem disrespectful to me ... a bit like spitting on their graves on the aniversary of a tragedy. The men that died that day didn't make the decision to not come to the aid of the Brits, French, etc.

And though late, the Americans DID come to the aid of the allies. Sometimes it seems like this important fact is overlooked. Many lost their lives. It was the government's decision not to intervene earlier ... not that of the guys who were fighting. I realize I'm stating the obvious ... but sometimes the obvious seems to be forgotten.

Enough of that - no need to resurrect the 'my Dad is better than your Dad' WWII thread. I understand what you're saying and hopefully you get where I'm coming from too.
I don't see why we can't discuss both. The deaths at Pearl Harbor were horrible.... but they are now a part of history. History should always be questioned and debated. There is no disrespect.... in fact total respect. Those that gave their lives that day did so for the sake of the entire world and the freedoms we enjoy today. The discussion and debate is over what the government did or did not do. Nothing would ever be said against the innocents that died.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:19 am
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

No, I don't expect reverence - I'm more interested in the significance.

From an American perspective it was a time in history that America was still reeling and recovering from WWI and the subsequent depression. The majority of American citizens were uneducated at the time and the voting public was still largely rural or blue collar. Isolationism was a natural response as the people were just tired and broke and scared. WW2 seem to be something that was far enough away that it would never effect their lives on a personal basis.

It was under the shadow of all of this that Roosevelt was elected. In his attempt to actually serve the wishes of constituency (something unheard of today) he was forced to stay out of the war even though he knew it was best that America join the war.

I think we'd be silly to totally dismiss the thought that there was conspiracy between Roosevelt and Churchill. Roosevelt knew what needed to be done but wasn't seasoned enough to make it happen ..... Churchill was cunning and persuasive enough to have (perhaps) shown him the way.
I cant argue with that.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:21 am
Account Closed

Those that gave their lives that day did so for the sake of the entire world and the freedoms we enjoy today. The discussion and debate is over what the government did or did not do. Nothing would ever be said against the innocents that died.
Absolutely dead right.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:22 am
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

I don't see why we can't discuss both. The deaths at Pearl Harbor were horrible.... but they are now a part of history. History should always be questioned and debated. There is no disrespect.... in fact total respect. Those that gave their lives that day did so for the sake of the entire world and the freedoms we enjoy today. The discussion and debate is over what the government did or did not do. Nothing would ever be said against the innocents that died.
There's a lot to add about what our government did or didn't do. I was watching the History Channel today and learned about the 'unnecessary' delays of telegrams and transmissions. There's sooo much to cover about that topic, especially now since once classified documents about the incident are still coming to light. BTW, how much time do you have?
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

OK then I apologise if I appeared bullish.
No problem - just a miscommunication.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:25 am
Account Closed

No problem - just a miscommunication.
Yes, you really should brush up on your English.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:26 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: A date which will live in infamy ....

Today is Pearl Harbor Day in the US.

President Franklin D. Roosevelt: Yesterday, December 7, 1941—a date which will live in infamy—the United States of American was suddenly and deliberately attacked by naval and air forces of the Empire of Japan.

For those of you interested in the entire speech go here:

http://historymatters.gmu.edu/d/5166/

Any thoughts from the British point of view?

For those of you that were alive then .... any memories?
America finally got into the war. Took them 2 years to do it, even though I think the Secret Intelligence Service told them an attack was imminent. Thankfully they did enter the war on our side, without them we would be speaking a mix of German/Japanese right now
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:26 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
without them we would be speaking a mix of German/Japanese right now
Dont talk like a ****ing idiot.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:28 am
Riding on silver wings

Originally Posted by kingfisher241049
America finally got into the war. Took them 2 years to do it, even though I think the Secret Intelligence Service told them an attack was imminent. Thankfully they did enter the war on our side, without them we would be speaking a mix of German/Japanese right now
You guys had the RADAR, we brought the P-51 Mustangs. It all worked out.
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:28 am
Account Closed

kingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura aboutkingfisher241049 has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: A date which will live in infamy ....

Dont talk like a ****ing idiot.
You speak like one all the time, just trying to make you feel at home!!
Old Dec 8th 2007, 12:30 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by ugacrew
You guys had the RADAR, we brought the P-51 Mustangs. It all worked out.
Yeah, you brought the P-51 Mustangs powered by our Rolls Royce Merlins engines.......but you might aswell have kept them...we had the far better Spitfires and Hurricanes.

Still the p-51 was kinda "quaint' in an antiquated sort of way.

Last edited by Rushman; Dec 8th 2007 at 12:32 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.