Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Damn Fine Day

Damn Fine Day

Old Mar 30th 2004, 2:08 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light
Default Damn Fine Day

I took a little trip to the US Embassy yesterday morning. We got there 9:10am and were out again at 10:50am with my H1 and my familys H4s approved and ready for take off!!

At the risk of joining one of Patrick's Stating the Bleeding Obvious forums, I'll share a few observations and hints about the whole non-harrowing experience that might put it into perspective for anyone about to go through it.

Fill out the I-156 forms online at http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_web...electronic.htm and print them off complete with the barcode. I used a half decent ink jet printer and the results were just fine. The Embassy staff seemed to like the fact that we'd gone to the trouble.

We made one H1 and four H4 applications (wife and 3 kids) which meant getting everyone photographed especially to fit in with the Visa guidelines, 2in square, head one in long, eyes half inch apart etc. ( what if your eyes are closer together?? ...presumably that would disqualify you anyway for being a bit shifty...). We used Bligh Optical in Leeds for the photos - call around as we were quoted from £4.99 each to £20 each!

Our appointment (made on the £1.30 per minute Embassy Hotline) was for 10am, we joined the queue outside the Embassy at 9:10, and we got to the concrete screening bunker at the entrance in about 40 minutes. We had our 8 month daughter with us, buggy, changing bag etc., no-one seemed to mind us taking the whole lot in - we just left the buggy with the main reception.

Then you have to go queue up for a number. The visa department is like a big DSS office, but without the vagrants, so luckily there's no-one with a can of Special Brew trying to kick your head in for not giving them a cigarette...

TOP TIP: As you go in, there is a desk with a whole bunch of people clustered around it. This is Visa Delivery Services. It doesn't make it clear on the forms or appointment letter, but this should be your first port of call. You HAVE to buy a reply paid envelope from these people. It costs £10 CASH, no cheques or credit cards. I didn't find this out until I was about fifth from the front of the queue. I and the woman in front of me had to leave the queue and go into the foyer to buy one of these courier envelopes..the woman had no cash and had to leave the Embassy completely in search of a cashpoint. Luckily, the people in the queue were happy to let me have my place back once I got sorted. Actually they weren't but I did it anyway and no-one objected......

ANOTHER TOP TIP: Take a cute baby with you. As we were given a number, the official wrote 'baby' on the office copy of the number that she passed on with the rest of our papers. Within 20 mins we were called.

One quick friendly chat later, how did I hear about the job, what does my current firm do, is everyone excited about the trip etc., and the official told us she was pleased to approve our application. Five minutes later we were back on the street. The whole procedure was very painless, and was actually quite enjoyable. I think it must have been all those 'I waited five hours and then got rejected' horror stories I've read on other postings.

So on top of my other good news - I sold my house at the weekend - yesterday was a pretty damn fine day!!

All I have to do is sell our worldly goods, book some flights, and we'll be in NC at the end of April......
Old Mar 30th 2004, 2:17 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Damn Fine Day

Our appointment (made on the £1.30 per minute Embassy Hotline) was for 10am, we joined the queue outside the Embassy at 9:10, and we got to the concrete screening bunker at the entrance in about 40 minutes. We had our 8 month daughter with us, buggy, changing bag etc., no-one seemed to mind us taking the whole lot in - we just left the buggy with the main reception.

Then you have to go queue up for a number. The visa department is like a big DSS office, but without the vagrants, so luckily there's no-one with a can of Special Brew trying to kick your head in for not giving them a cigarette...
sounds like the INS office in Detroit.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 2:17 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Big Vern.

There's a bottle of cheap domestic beer waiting for you when you land.
Old Mar 30th 2004, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

Originally posted by Webbie
Nice one Big Vern.

Thanks Webbie - I think by the time we get off the plane with three kids (5, 2 and 8 months), get through immigration and customs and finally get to Cornelius, I'll be about ready for a cold one or three....
Old Mar 30th 2004, 2:32 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Webbie
Don't put the lad off. It's supposed to be a happy day
Old Mar 30th 2004, 9:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Lesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond reputeLesley1020 has a reputation beyond repute

That's great! Good luck to you all with your new life!

P.S. Thanks for sharing that - it's nice to hear it was so straightforward!
Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:35 pm

BrigieDarling will become famous soon enough

Where will you be landing Vern?

Congrats too by the way....
Old Mar 30th 2004, 10:48 pm
Winter hyphenator

monster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud ofmonster has much to be proud of

Originally posted by manc1976
Don't put the lad off. It's supposed to be a happy day
Old Mar 31st 2004, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally posted by BrigieDarling
Where will you be landing Vern?

Congrats too by the way....
Haven't got our flights booked yet but we'll be spending our first few weeks in Cornelius, NC, so I guess we're flying into Charlotte...

Just where we'll be ending up after that, well, as Edward Kennedy once said, we'll drive off that bridge when we get to it....
Old Mar 31st 2004, 12:15 pm
British Trailer Trash

jaybob is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Big Vern
( what if your eyes are closer together?? ...presumably that would disqualify you anyway for being a bit shifty...).

If you didn't say it, one of us smart arses would have!

Good Luck and Congrats.

Last edited by jaybob; Mar 31st 2004 at 1:48 pm.