Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dallas - Your Top 5 Pro's and Cons

Dallas - Your Top 5 Pro's and Cons

Old Dec 26th 2007, 11:15 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dallas - Your Top 5 Pro's and Cons

Originally Posted by Knight1979
...There are more people who think like me who live here. Fear not.

Yeah, there are five of 'em in this city of 2,000,000... and I think I know them all!
Old Dec 27th 2007, 12:19 am
Forum Regular

Knight1979 will become famous soon enoughKnight1979 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Yeah, there are five of 'em in this city of 2,000,000... and I think I know them all!
aw c'mon, that's not fare.......there are at least 8....
Old Dec 27th 2007, 5:20 am
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knight1979
aw c'mon, that's not fare.......there are at least 8....
I was only visiting.
Old Dec 27th 2007, 10:42 am
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Manc
flying on US Airways then huh?

been on that flight a few times, US Air are crap. but gets you from A to B.

have a good un.
True, although I don't think I have ever flown a "Good" US airline. I only use US Air now cause I have all my miles with Star Alliance and BMI are generally to expensive. At least on the US Air flights from Manchester you get your own movie screen, last time I flew I flew from London and got a old, old US Airways plane with no personal screen and I had to endure kids cartoons for 7 hours !!! :curse:
Old Dec 27th 2007, 1:14 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
True, although I don't think I have ever flown a "Good" US airline. I only use US Air now cause I have all my miles with Star Alliance and BMI are generally to expensive. At least on the US Air flights from Manchester you get your own movie screen, last time I flew I flew from London and got a old, old US Airways plane with no personal screen and I had to endure kids cartoons for 7 hours !!! :curse:
too true. gotta say, it's why I usually end up flying US Air.

I tried Lufthansa, no tv screens in cattle class. I was amazed.

I sometimes go Northworst via Amsterdam which their A330 service is pretty top notch, even if they are going bust.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Texan by Heart is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=snorkmaiden;5369601]I guess a lot of things concerning Texas really do depend on where you live. I had no experience of the sense of community you speak of, on the contrary, I witnessed a lot of the "every man for himself" type attitude. (the exception being after Katrina when I did see a lot of people buying things to donate) I've already said what I thought about people being genuine, and I have to say, I found the amount of racism I saw a bit frightening.

I am sure I've mentioned it before on here, but my eldest had an awful time at school because she said she didn't believe in God - lots of "you are going to hell" comments, and she was the only person in her class who said in a class poll, that gay people should have the right to protest.

As I said earlier, I personally thought there were a lot of good things about Texas too, but for me they were mainly material in origin. I think had I lived in a different part of Dallas my experience would have been a lot different, even my hairdresser told me she wouldn't live on my side of the city and she was a native

I have been here for 8 years in the Dallas area and have never experienced ANYTHING that you mention. I have seen alot more racism at home against Asians, so that's interesting that you say that. I have found people here go out of their way to be helpful. I have lived in Florida and California as well, and none of them have compared to Texas as far as friendliness goes. Not sure where you were living, but you are giving off a very bad impression that I, for one, have never experienced in 8 years here. As far as Katrina goes, Texas was the only state to open their doors to Katrina victims, which pretty much defeats the "every man to himself" statement. I think you are very sad and misinformed.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 7:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Texan by Heart

I am sure I've mentioned it before on here, but my eldest had an awful time at school because she said she didn't believe in God - lots of "you are going to hell" comments, and she was the only person in her class who said in a class poll, that gay people should have the right to protest.

As I said earlier, I personally thought there were a lot of good things about Texas too, but for me they were mainly material in origin. I think had I lived in a different part of Dallas my experience would have been a lot different, even my hairdresser told me she wouldn't live on my side of the city and she was a native

I have been here for 8 years in the Dallas area and have never experienced ANYTHING that you mention. I have seen alot more racism at home against Asians, so that's interesting that you say that. I have found people here go out of their way to be helpful. I have lived in Florida and California as well, and none of them have compared to Texas as far as friendliness goes. Not sure where you were living, but you are giving off a very bad impression that I, for one, have never experienced in 8 years here. As far as Katrina goes, Texas was the only state to open their doors to Katrina victims, which pretty much defeats the "every man to himself" statement. I think you are very sad and misinformed.
Ummmm...........you do realise that this thread is from December of last year?! The person you were responding to is unlikely to check back on a thread that old.

Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:01 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

[ As far as Katrina goes, Texas was the only state to open their doors to Katrina victims, .
Wrong ...
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 6:09 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

You dug up a year-old post just in order to post that drivel, and to use your first post here to call someone "sad and misinformed" for having a different opinion to yours?

Welcome to the board. Now p*ss off!
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 12:37 pm
Banned

Location: Orlando,Florida,living in Buckinghamshire for next 6 weeks.
YankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond reputeYankeemovingAbroad has a reputation beyond repute

You dug up a year-old post just in order to post that drivel, and to use your first post here to call someone "sad and misinformed" for having a different opinion to yours?

Don't attack a newbie right off the bat.What a character you still are
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

hobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond reputehobbes79 has a reputation beyond repute

Pros:

1. Warm weather
2. Cheap houses
3. DFW is a good international airport... easy to pop home
4. Low cost of living in general
5. Pretty good assortment of jobs

Cons:

1. Weather can be insanely hot in the Summer
2. Real lack of culture or history
3. Have to drive EVERYWHERE
4. Texans can be a bit close minded
5. Pay is a bit low in general (though can obviously be balanced out by cheap houses)

EDIT: Just noticed age of original post... that's 3 mins of my life I'll never get back...
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:32 pm
Just Joined

Texan by Heart is an unknown quantity at this point

so sorry...have never been on here and did not notice the date...i thought these were all new forums. i will take your advice and p**s off now. Thought people's opinions were allowed here.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
Hi,

I have been offered A Job in Dallas which I am seriously considering in accepting. I have read much about Dallas and Texas, some things I like others not, either way I'm still a bit torn . I thought therefore it might be a good idea for anybody who has lived there to list their top 5 Likes and Dislikes. This will really help me make my decision so thanks in advance.
5 Likes:

ermmmm..... errrr. Hmmmmm...... 1. The weather, the sunny weather is a nice change from dark wet England.
2. Most People. We actually liked the Texan people we lived near, worked with etc... very friendly, however we were not in Dallas, but North of, Plano/Frisco. 3. The big sky! Is it just me or do others think the sky is just enormous in Texas (and if anyone says 'everythings bigger in Texas' I'll cyber-slap you!)
4. Big homes for little money so you can live like a king for pence.
5. Schools were excellent in hindsight (having lived in other states).

5 Dislikes:
1. Religion being thrust down ones throat and invitations to various church buildings that looked more like supermarkets where they 'talked in tongues' until you vomitted satan out. 2. Snakes (not so much in Dallas itself but I assume you will not be living in Dallas but in a nearby burb where you can find a whole assortment of snakes, scorpions, the ever elusive no-see-ums, vicious fire ants and mosquito's oh and lethal spiders. 3. Distance from UK - felt like I was on the plane forever. 4. Miles from any coast so feel completely landlocked which is SO not like the UK. 5. Crime in Dallas/Arlington and other surrounding areas, usually drug/race/gang related and car chases/lock downs and violent deaths on the news most if not every night.

'Don't mess with Texas' is a fave saying. We felt we had not moved to the USA but had moved to Texas - a country neighbouring the USA.

p.s. We actually really quite liked it .