Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dallas - Your Top 5 Pro's and Cons

Dallas - Your Top 5 Pro's and Cons

Old Dec 26th 2007, 3:23 pm
Forum Regular

Knight1979 will become famous soon enoughKnight1979 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Dallas - Your Top 5 Pro's and Cons

Wow I don't know how I found this.....

Okay, I was born in Houston and have lived in Dallas pretty much most of my life. I am tried and true Texan to the bone as well as the rest of my family. First and foremost, I do not understand the high correlation of consumption, jesus and guns that exists here, nor do I take part in it. I never will understand it. A lot of folks here took Weber's "Protestant Ethic and Spirit of Capitalism" and ran with it whether or not they realize it. There are more people who think like me who live here. Fear not.

Now as for the previous comments, just like cities all over the world, Dallas is made up of neighborhoods. Some are ethnically diverse and some aren't. Some tend to be more conservative (Any Dallas suburb and much of north Dallas) and some more progressive. If you are looking for a more progressive area to live in order to avoid the "nasty" folks some of your compatriots have referenced, I recommend to look at the east or south side of town. Lakewood is a nice neighborhood that is generally more progressive and community oriented. You are close to white rock lake (a nice lake right in the middle of the city) and to central Dallas. Do some investigating and remember that Dallas is a big place, more and more people from all over the world are coming here and that is changing the conservative/zealot vibe of the city......however it still has a long way to go.

Now the best reason to move to Dallas or anywhere in Texas?......You are so close to Mexico!! I lived in Mexico City for a year and have traveled the country extensively. Its diversity never ceases to amaze me. So take some long weekends or use your vacation for a $150 hour to two hour flight down south.

GO CITY BEAT THE REDS!!
Old Dec 26th 2007, 3:43 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Knight1979
Wow I don't know how I found this.....

Okay,..........GO CITY BEAT THE REDS!!
Hiya!

Now you found us, what are you planning to do with us?

Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:10 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jmaster911
Hi,

I have been offered A Job in Dallas which I am seriously considering in accepting. I have read much about Dallas and Texas, some things I like others not, either way I'm still a bit torn . I thought therefore it might be a good idea for anybody who has lived there to list their top 5 Likes and Dislikes. This will really help me make my decision so thanks in advance.
5 cons

1) It's Dallas
2) It's Texas
3) They have roads named after George Bush
4) Syllk lives there
5) it's hot 6 months and flooded 6 months

5 Pro's

1) It's not Houston
2) Oklahoma isn't too far
3) Debbie did it
4) They have an MLS team, which play in a crap league, so coming from Leeds it'll be something you're used to.
5) sorry, can only think of 4 Pro's
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
5 cons

1) It's Dallas
2) It's Texas
3) They have roads named after George Bush
4) Syllk lives there
5) it's hot 6 months and flooded 6 months

5 Pro's

1) It's not Houston
2) Oklahoma isn't too far
3) Debbie did it
4) They have an MLS team, which play in a crap league, so coming from Leeds it'll be something you're used to.
5) sorry, can only think of 4 Pro's

Oi you.........quit knocking Houston

Just remember Houston have the best soccer team in the nation.

GO DYNAMOS! WHOO HOO

(was that a good Willmore impression )
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:28 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma

(was that a good Willmore impression )
in order to do a willmore impression you need to remove 90% of your brain cells and disgard your personality into the nearest rubbish bin.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 4:30 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

in order to do a willmore impression you need to remove 90% of your brain cells and disgard your personality into the nearest rubbish bin.
Now you're being a little harsh aren't you............ doesn't Sue have a PhD in marine biology or sommat?
Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:44 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

You forgot ...... stalk Tom's kids.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:48 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

disgard
Contraction of "disregard" or misspelling of discard? Neat word.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:51 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

GO CITY BEAT THE REDS!!
How does someone Texas born and bred become a blue nose?

Just curious.... I'm also a native Texan and am a Norwich Canary supporter but there's a story behind that one.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 5:55 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elvira
Now you're being a little harsh aren't you............ doesn't Sue have a PhD in marine biology or sommat?
Academic qualifications demonstrate perseverance and nothing much else. And she certainly has that!
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:23 pm
Forum Regular

Knight1979 will become famous soon enoughKnight1979 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by snowbunny
How does someone Texas born and bred become a blue nose?

Just curious.... I'm also a native Texan and am a Norwich Canary supporter but there's a story behind that one.

Easy......I saw the famous Tottenham, Man City FA Cup game.....City came back to beat Spurs 4-3 in the second half with Joey Barton red carded just before half time.......best game ever. From that point I was hooked. That's my team. And they are the evil empire's biggest rival.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 6:25 pm
Lapine Member

Easy......I saw the famous Tottenham, Man City FA Cup game.....City came back to beat Spurs 4-3 in the second half with Joey Barton red carded just before half time.......best game ever. From that point I was hooked. That's my team. And they are the evil empire's biggest rival.
My God man!

Are you a Cowboys fan?
Old Dec 26th 2007, 7:39 pm
Forum Regular

Jmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud ofJmaster911 has much to be proud of

5 cons
I may live in Leeds now but I'm a true Manc, although some would say I'm not for supporting the red side of the city.

Not long now, 3 days and we make the trip, packers coming in tomorrow and Friday, the off to Philli on Sat for new year and finally fly down to Dallas New Years Day.
Old Dec 26th 2007, 11:13 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

I may live in Leeds now but I'm a true Manc, although some would say I'm not for supporting the red side of the city.

Not long now, 3 days and we make the trip, packers coming in tomorrow and Friday, the off to Philli on Sat for new year and finally fly down to Dallas New Years Day.
Good luck with the packing and the trip!

Post a message here when you arrive in Dallas. I'm sure those of us here in the Metroplex will be able to answer most questions you'll have once you're here!
Old Dec 26th 2007, 11:13 pm
@matthewb76

flying on US Airways then huh?

been on that flight a few times, US Air are crap. but gets you from A to B.

have a good un.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.