Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Dad UK/Mom USA.

Dad UK/Mom USA.

Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:33 pm
Just Joined

tonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nice
Default Re: Dad UK/Mom USA.

Bless you its the kind of concise feedback I sought, and goes along with my feelings of retisence over the issue, never the less it is important to establish if he has a call on duality. His mother came here to UK in 1993, when we married, and has been here since.she is 41yrs.and may have returned to the USA.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:43 pm
Just Joined

tonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nicetonydignity is just really nice

You are looking for a colonist under every bush dear, where there is none.I have no wish to travel to the USA ,my life is settled in Uk and having spent yrs as an Ex pat all over ,I am settled at 62 with no axe to grind or fortune to make.As I mentioned ,this is a matter of Birthright,and if there is advantage to be had for him out of our dismal failiure of a marriage, then by damn I shall fight to get it for him.
Now does that answer your question.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:45 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

From the link Jenney quoted:

Child born in wedlock to one U.S. citizen parent and one non U.S. citizen parent on or after November 14, 1986: A child born outside of the United States to one U.S. citizen parent and one non-U.S. citizen parent may be entitled to citizenship providing the U.S. citizen parent had been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for five years, at least two years of which were after s/he reached the age of fourteen. This period of physical presence must have taken place prior to the birth of the child.

I believe that my child has claim to U.S. Citizenship. What next?

If you believe that your child has a claim to U.S. Citizenship, it will be necessary for the U.S. citizen parent to appear in person at this office in order to execute an application for a "Consular Report of Birth Abroad" before a consular officer. At that time, a passport application may also be executed. Read more…
What if I do not meet the requirements for transmission of citizenship to my child?

It may be possible for your child to apply for expeditious naturalization or an immigrant visa.

* You should review the information concerning transmission requirements to see if your parent(s) had the prerequisite physical presence in the United States required by U.S. citizenship law in effect at that time. If, based on this information, you believe you have a claim to U.S. citizenship, you should write to us at the following address, giving as many details of your situation as possible:

Passport & Citizenship Unit
U.S. Embassy
5 Upper Grosvenor Street
London, W1A 2LQ"
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:49 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tonydignity
Now can anyone shed light on the question I posed . Which was ?
Can I apply on his behalf to The US Consulate in London without his mother's help.
Simplified: assuming mother lived in the United States for five years, of which two years had to be after the age of 14, prior to the birth of the child, son's a US citizen. Of course you can apply without the mother's help/consent. Follow the instructions and be prepared to battle. Shouldn't be too difficult to document this requirement, though you obviously haven't got the clear and easy path two cooperating parents would provide. Are we going to have to hold your hand all the way through?
Old Mar 25th 2007, 9:56 pm
Just Joined

Yes Please
Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Mother born in New York 1966,First time out of the USA was 1993, when we married in UK ,son born may of 1994 in wedlock,,divorce 2001 in UK ,son and father have lived in UK since to this day. Mother has pursued her journey in life fuelled by mothers (Lager)modern ruin.
Her relationships are legion and transient ,and our only intellegence is that she has or is about to exit UK on Business.She refuses to help as she has informed our son she thinks he is to young to worry about such things.Its my assumption she really means ,will I benefit from his birthright,its personality disordered stuff at best. In my view anything that is his by right he is intitled To.He plays football for a 1st div academy,is overall 3rd in a class of 26 at a top school,bound and determined to enter University,and travel in his gap year.
He is a teenager in a month and having been reared by an old git like me, has overcome many of the stereo typical problems of single parent children .
And I am proud of him
Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:19 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Please
1/ So read through US Consulate pages to familiarize yourself with the process.
2/ Gather what documentation you already have -- get copies of UK birth certificate (long form), marriage certificate), etc.
3/ Fill out the forms as best you can. Write additional information on supplements. Try to stick to facts and not be a moaning minnie.
4/ Contact them here: http://www.usembassy.org.uk/cons_new...s/contact.html and ask them what you should do. Try to be polite and positive about it all.
5/ Report back here with the facts.
Old Mar 25th 2007, 10:23 pm
Just Joined

Ureka!!!
How the hell did you know my name is minnie Thanx .
Now I am off , goodnight all and my thanks.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 12:20 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Which part dont you understand Jenney,it seems you have expressed an opinion already in your answer. and I want to thank you for that.
The part that I didn't understand was the part that I quoted from your original post: "and what will it get ME?"

I didn't express an opinion, just asked you to clarify your question because it's too vague. I still don't understand what kind of answer you're looking for to that question, since there are only two obvious answers, 1) You get a son with a new US passport; or 2) "A son who could sponsor you for an immigrant visa when he's 21 years old." But apparently you don't care about that, so I have no idea what the hell you're asking about. And I think it's rude for YOU to chastise ME because YOU don't know how to articulate your thoughts well enough.

NOW I'm expressing an opinion.

~ Jenney
Old Mar 26th 2007, 1:59 am
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute

Ureka!!!
How the hell did you know my name is minnie Thanx .
Now I am off , goodnight all and my thanks.
Tony, you've been an utter twat throughout this thread.

There... thought I'd get it out in the open, and save everyone having to think it behind your back.

No, how about saying sorry to all the helpful people you've pissed off?
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:15 am
Just Joined

Thank you Jenney for your candour,I have no axe to grind and if I have ruffled your feathers , forgive me, perhaps your expectation was that I would reply in a different way,if that is the case,then I guess it was a wrong response in your eyes .
Whatever the feeling was ,perhaps I was expected to play a part.

Some people chat every day and night and groups go to the same room to meet every day. They become very attached to each other and wary of new people,this is natural I suppose.
My expectation was that I would get some feedback that was helpful, and as luck would have it I have been steered positively by several replies.
Of course cutting to the chase is frowned upon in some circles and can only be allowed after apprenticeship.Anyone new to a chat room will be totally unprepared for the politics that go on. There are ever shifting alliances, best friends, cliques, dramas, fights, and plenty of other stuff. That's both good and bad. For example, while most chat people are great, some are not. If the above sounds like a rather negative assessment, it really isn't. It's just the dynamics of this medium. And, for the most part, I have found chat is great fun and an overwhelmingly positive experience. People make friends. Others may gain confidence, Some like myself may learn stuff they never considered. Some come out of their shells. Some find true love. And it's just great to be in instant interactive contact with people from all over the world.
Here is a different slant, Its ironic but maybe I belong on a notice board somewhere , as I read the next reply to yours ,I am further motivated to consider !.Would I be more at home in a “Twat room”, rather than a chat room? . Or am I already in such a habitat. Years ago I blotted my copy book by standing in the Piano Bar of the Raffles Hotel and hurling a pint into the spinning fan above my head with the call! Gentlemen, Drinks all round. for which I was thrown in the pool. You see even at 20yrs or so I was pissing people off. So please don’t feel you have been insulted by a novice.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 6:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by dbj1000
Tony, you've been an utter twat throughout this thread.

There... thought I'd get it out in the open, and save everyone having to think it behind your back.

No, how about saying sorry to all the helpful people you've pissed off?
Thanx DBJ for levelling the playing field,I guess you wont tolerate bad manners,caustic comment, irrassible replies.:and perish the thought everyone should think ill of me ,so in humility and after much feverish contemplation , I want to apolagise to all the other twats on this thread , there Ive said it save me having to think it behind your backs. Now how about you allowing me to be who I am.You dont have to like me , just love me enough to share your experience of INS.or not
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:08 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Wow. This guy has to be a troll, right?

If not, then he is one of the biggest douche nozzles I have ever read on the Intertubes.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 4:31 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Heh... karma has been duly handed out to a few posts in this thread.

I want to apolagise to all the other twats on this thread
Sincere to the last... not to mention grateful to the VOLUNTEERS who gave out information that would have cost you quite a bit to find out from a lawyer, or you could have searched the good old interwebs for yourself.
Old Mar 26th 2007, 5:20 pm
Pass me the Marmite..

franc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond reputefranc11s has a reputation beyond repute

Tony,

1. you MISSED in Jennys post (the 2nd post in this thread), she actually POSTED the link. You didn't see to click on "Reporting The Birth of a Child to U.S. Citizen Parent(s) in the UK" !!!
2. You asked "what will it get me" and then didn't answer what it meant. We have enough people on this board "out to get" for nothing and so maybe if you had articulated it properly, people would not have assumed the worst. had you REALLY meant "what would it get me?", you would see, people comments here were more than justifed.
3. I think it was answered pretty clearly, your son "IS" a US citizen. You just need to follow the steps (more difficult, but not impossible since the US mother is un-helpful). In fact, since he is only 12, you probably don't need to start the process for a few more years yet but it's up-to-you.

By all-sense-of-purpose, he is already a dual citizen. Do remember as was originally pointed out, "by standing out" and getting him "recognised" as a citizen, if we end up going to war with Iran or worse... he called get called up for Service. (I think it's from aged 18...?). Chances are slim. Chances are "zero" for non-us "citizens".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.