British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Dad UK/Mom USA. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/dad-uk-mom-usa-437350/)

tonydignity Mar 25th 2007 3:28 pm

Dad UK/Mom USA.

I am divorced from my usa ex, and a UK citizen born and bred. We have a son together who lives with me .
He was born in UK, now 12yrs old holding Brit passport.
I recently tried to get his mother to help him get dual nationality,which I felt was his Birthright, and as she has contributed precious little to his life till now except sadness*(she lives in UK).
I have her social security number and an endouring power of attorney,also details of her birthplace .
Can I apply on his behalf to The US Consulate in London without his mother's help. and what will it get ME.
:blink:

Just Jenney Mar 25th 2007 4:38 pm

Re: Dad UK/Mom USA.

Originally Posted by tonydignity (Post 4559471)
I am divorced from my usa ex, and a UK citizen born and bred. We have a son together who lives with me .
I recently tried to get his mother to help him get dual nationality,which I felt was his Birthright, and as she has contributed precious little to his life till now except sadness*(she lives in UK).
I have her social security number and an endouring power of attorney,also details of her birthplace .
Can I apply on his behalf to The US Consulate in London without his mother's help.

Was your son's birth ever registered with the London Consulate? This will need to be done before he can apply for a US passport.

The following webpage on the London Consulate's website should get you started:

Reporting The Birth of a Child to U.S. Citizen Parent(s) in the UK
  • Application Requirements for the Report of Birth
  • Additional Requirements for the Passport Application

and what will it get ME. :blink:
Well, I guess it would give you a son who gets a shiny new US passport and money missing from your bank account so he can have it. I don't understand your question. You'll have to be more specific.

~ Jenney

Silverdragon102 Mar 25th 2007 5:33 pm

If you are hoping to move to the US with him then he can't do anything regarding sponcering you until he is aged 21 otherwise http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...rk-in-the-usa/

tonydignity Mar 25th 2007 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark (Post 4559661)
Was your son's birth ever registered with the London Consulate? This will need to be done before he can apply for a US passport.

The following webpage on the London Consulate's website should get you started:

Reporting The Birth of a Child to U.S. Citizen Parent(s) in the UK
  • Application Requirements for the Report of Birth
  • Additional Requirements for the Passport Application
Thank you , its a good start I have sent off an email.:thumbsup:

Well, I guess it would give you a son who gets a shiny new US passport and money missing from your bank account so he can have it. I don't understand your question. You'll have to be more specific.

~ Jenney

Which part dont you understand Jenney,it seems you have expressed an opinion already in your answer. and I want to thank you for that.:)

tonydignity Mar 25th 2007 5:43 pm

Originally Posted by Silverdragon102 (Post 4559825)
If you are hoping to move to the US with him then he can't do anything regarding sponcering you until he is aged 21 otherwise http://britishexpats.com/articles/us...rk-in-the-usa/

No Its not the purpose , I already have a daughter and 3 grandchildren in the States ,my daughter holding citizenship.
Its a birthright issue for us both ,

Elvira Mar 25th 2007 7:13 pm

Originally Posted by tonydignity (Post 4559849)
Which part dont you understand Jenney,it seems you have expressed an opinion already in your answer. and I want to thank you for that.:)

:confused: :confused: :confused:

Jenney is one of the most helpful posters here - what on earth are you on about? :blink: :blink:

fatbrit Mar 25th 2007 7:43 pm

Originally Posted by tonydignity (Post 4559471)
Can I apply on his behalf to The US Consulate in London without his mother's help. and what will it get ME.
:blink:

Your son is already a US citizen. Follow the instructions kindly pointed out by Jenney and get the paperwork taken care of.

He should not enter the US without a US passport.

Don't forget he needs to file for Selective Service at 18 and also file US tax returns.

tonydignity Mar 25th 2007 8:36 pm

There arnt any instructions posted by Jenney,Will I dare ask if it is Mr or Mrs Fatbrit :confused:
Its difficult being a psychologist at the best of times,:eek: I wonder if I could ask you when you think he became a US citizen.liable for National Service and US taxes.

fatbrit Mar 25th 2007 8:46 pm

Originally Posted by tonydignity (Post 4560289)
There arnt any instructions posted by Jenney,

Click your mouse on the BIG text below.

http://london.usembassy.gov/cons_new.../robirth4.html

Bob Mar 25th 2007 8:51 pm

There arnt any instructions posted by Jenney,Will I dare ask if it is Mr or Mrs Fatbrit :confused:
Its difficult being a psychologist at the best of times,:eek: I wonder if I could ask you when you think he became a US citizen.liable for National Service and US taxes.

the big block of text with the hyper link was a bit of a give away I would have thought.

and being a USC, your kid was always liable to sign up for SS at 18 and filing of US taxes.

fatbrit Mar 25th 2007 8:52 pm

There is no National Service in the US. He will be required to register for Selective Service. He must register at age 18.

He will need to file taxes when he earns money unless his earnings are below a certain amount. If he's doing a paper round at the moment, I wouldn't worry about it.

tonydignity Mar 25th 2007 9:00 pm

Oh !, I see,well I must begin to groom him in the new protocol.most relevant him being 12 yrs.:thumbup: :confused:

tonydignity Mar 25th 2007 9:16 pm

Let me qoute from my original thread
" recently tried to get his mother to help him get dual nationality,which I felt was his Birthright, and as she has contributed precious little to his life till now except sadness*(she lives in UK).
Can I apply on his behalf to The US Consulate in London without his mother's help.
his note appears at the foot of the first paragraph?
Note: If only one parent is a U.S. citizen, and that parent is not presently in this country, please contact this office for further instructions.
This is the position.
Now can anyone shed light on the question I posed . Which was ?
Can I apply on his behalf to The US Consulate in London without his mother's help.:o

farmerwife Mar 25th 2007 9:25 pm

Originally Posted by tonydignity (Post 4560441)
" recently tried to get his mother to help him get dual nationality,which I felt was his Birthright, and as she has contributed precious little to his life till now except sadness*(she lives in UK).
Note: If only one parent is a U.S. citizen, and that parent is not presently in this country, please contact this office for further instructions.
This is the position.
Can I apply on his behalf to The US Consulate in London without his mother's help.:o

I think it would be hard for you to do this without the mother's help. She would have to provide some documents - including her current passport and her birth certificate.
Also are you sure your son actually is or is eligible to be a USC? Depending on the length of time his mother was living outside of the USA before he was born he may not necessarily be one?.

http://travel.state.gov/law/info/info_609.html

Jerseygirl Mar 25th 2007 9:30 pm

Originally Posted by tonydignity (Post 4560441)
This is the position.

You missed out the bit 'and what will it get ME'. What exactly do you mean by this? :confused: