Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

CV to Resume...the process!

CV to Resume...the process!

Old Feb 12th 2005, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: CV to Resume...the process!

Originally Posted by Big Vern
Just some really simple things -

If you're emailing your resume out, don't forget to make it Letter paper, not A4..if you don't when they print it out it'll be all over the place.

Americanize the spelling - e.g. defense not defence

Most american companies wouldn't know what an O or A level is - I just put GCE (High School) Examinations inc. English Language, Maths etc and that seems to be explanation enough.

Don't underestimate putting your resume on Monster.com and Dice, you can get a lot of good leads from them even if you don't get a specific job. Interested recruiters call up, and then once you've got a contact keep pestering them...

Most of all, don't give up....
Hey guys,

I REALLY appreciate all the help. Thanks so much.

I let you know how it goes!

Matt

PS - BritishInOhio, thanks for that. I will PM you.
Old Feb 13th 2005, 6:31 pm
Just Joined

blueparadise is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey guys,

Good to hear that most of you are doing well in the US, a country that I think has no limits for the motivated professional

I have lived there 5 years and now I am back in Europe, but I do have a little bock to share from you... it's the ultimate bible to move around in the competitive US job market... it's as marketing aggresive as professional

here we go...

Don't send a Resume by Jeffrey J. Fox

the names says it all, it's worth reading it

I hope this helps
Old Feb 14th 2005, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

My tuppence worth on CV's and Resumes over here is that it seems to me that as a stand alone document, you will send millions of them out and get harldy anything back. I have found that you have to send your resume out, wait a week or so, then get on the phone or go and see the people you sent it to (and thus, I found a decent job).

So, in my personal experience, I am of the opinion that US employers are generally ruder than UK ones (ie, they won't even get back to you to tell you no, just ignore you), different resumes (probably written with reference to UK skills) will get ignored or thrown out by the computerised auto checker or some HR tosser who has no clue about the job you are applying for. You have to do my research and get a hold of the right person within the company and arrange a chat with them.

Long and short of it, almost as Blue Paradise has put "Dont send a Resume" - I wouldnt go that far, but I'd send it as an introduction then get badgering. Joining professional organisations related to your field and going along to meetings and making some contacts is also another fantastic way to get an "in" - opposite to your resume, at these sort of things people are interested in speaking to you because you are slightly different.
Old Feb 14th 2005, 3:48 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dan725
<<snip>>

So, in my personal experience, I am of the opinion that US employers are generally ruder than UK ones (ie, they won't even get back to you to tell you no, just ignore you), different resumes (probably written with reference to UK skills) will get ignored or thrown out by the computerised auto checker or some HR tosser who has no clue about the job you are applying for. You have to do my research and get a hold of the right person within the company and arrange a chat with them.

<<snip>>
I don't consider American employers to be ruder than British ones because they don't respond at all to all job applicants. The use of the internet to gather applications has backfired to some extent because the volume of applications has increased so much that many employers cannot issue notifications.

On the other hand, proactive applicants should do what they can to get a response from employers whom they apply to...

NC Penguin
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

BritishInOhio will become famous soon enough

Do you have a degree? How old are you?

Originally Posted by ukmancoll
Hey guys,

I am going to be moving to the States in June to get married, and I believe I should be quite employable. I have a very good history in Sales & Marketing, with good experience and great references.

The current job market aside (where I am going to be living, etc) I am trying to figure out how to turn my British CV into an American resume. I have always thought I was good at writing a CV, but I am fast realising that a resume is completly different.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Specific experiences?

I have done some searches on this site, and read up a bit about it. Just wondered if anyone else had anything to add.

Thanks a lot.

Matt
Old Feb 14th 2005, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Do you have a degree? How old are you?

Hey guys,

I am going to be moving to the States in June to get married, and I believe I should be quite employable. I have a very good history in Sales & Marketing, with good experience and great references.

The current job market aside (where I am going to be living, etc) I am trying to figure out how to turn my British CV into an American resume. I have always thought I was good at writing a CV, but I am fast realising that a resume is completly different.

Does anyone have any ideas on this? Specific experiences?

I have done some searches on this site, and read up a bit about it. Just wondered if anyone else had anything to add.

Thanks a lot.

Matt
Old Feb 15th 2005, 1:46 am
Just Joined

TiminUK will become famous soon enoughTiminUK will become famous soon enough

............and if you don't have a degree, you can always convert your experience (ideal 12 year min), particular management experience into an equivalent US degree via companies that offer these services. For example
trustforte.com
Old Feb 15th 2005, 2:04 am
Forum Regular

Big Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of lightBig Vern is a glorious beacon of light

The INS will accept documentary evidence of 12 years relevant experience.

I just called past employers - going back over 20 years!! Some hadn't ever heard of me but most were really good. In my letter to them requesting a reference I actually stated precisely what I did for them, and 9 times out of ten their reply came back with my own description as the main body of the reference...

I know for certain that the INS will accept a stack of references in lieu of a degree cos I've already been granted two H1B's, and I'm just in for a transfer as I write...
Old Feb 15th 2005, 3:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of lightukmancoll is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by TiminUK
............and if you don't have a degree, you can always convert your experience (ideal 12 year min), particular management experience into an equivalent US degree via companies that offer these services. For example
trustforte.com
So this company will turn your experience into an equivelent degree?

How does that work? I could probably get around 8 years worth of references. Would that be any good? Do they give you a bit of paper to say what you have is the equivelent of a degree?

I am not coming to the US on an H1B, I am coming via a K1 - nothing to do with employment. What I am interested in though is if it could help me find a position in the US.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:12 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

How does that work? I could probably get around 8 years worth of references. Would that be any good? Do they give you a bit of paper to say what you have is the equivelent of a degree?

I am not coming to the US on an H1B, I am coming via a K1 - nothing to do with employment. What I am interested in though is if it could help me find a position in the US.
You can probably read this yourself on the USCIS website but the USCIS will equate 12 years of work history to a bachelor's degree on the same or similar subject.

Also, the majority of US employers will look for evidence of a bachelor's degree or equivalent. The exceptions are basic jobs like cleaning, waitresssing, store clerks, etc. I think you get the picture.

NC Penguin
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

Under 30 without an actual degree? That will make things difficult as basically most people of this age group will have a degree, you will find it difficult to convince any employer you have the skills if you don't have a degree being so young. Degree's are so easy over here that if you don't have one it's basically McD's or BK or learn a trade. Good luck.
Old Feb 15th 2005, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BritishInOhio
Under 30 without an actual degree? That will make things difficult as basically most people of this age group will have a degree, you will find it difficult to convince any employer you have the skills if you don't have a degree being so young. Degree's are so easy over here that if you don't have one it's basically McD's or BK or learn a trade. Good luck.
Well, thank you for the advice.

I'll guess we'll see what happens.