Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

customs fees

customs fees

Old Dec 10th 2012, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

MrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really niceMrsWaring is just really nice
Default customs fees

Hi everyone. Getting ready for the big move in a few weeks (Scotland to WI) and need some help. We are taking most of our belongings as extra baggage, but going to send a very large hold all full of my sons toys via fed ex at a cost of £166. I have been searching high and low online for an estimate of what customs tax I'm going to have to pay. Can anyone help with this please?
Old Dec 10th 2012, 7:32 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: customs fees

There shouldn't be any customs duty to pay, providing you either bring the items with you, or are already in the country when the shipment arrives. On the customs form you need to show the items are personal property of a returning resident and family. FedEx should have the forms you need online.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 7:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lansbury
On the customs form you need to show the items are personal property of a returning resident and family.
Does it make a difference if one of the party is not a returning resident? I mean, when I move out to join my husband will I potentially be open to more charges than I would if we were making the move together? (I realise you can't comment specifically without knowing what stuff I have.)
Old Dec 10th 2012, 8:16 pm

lansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond reputelansbury has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
Does it make a difference if one of the party is not a returning resident? I mean, when I move out to join my husband will I potentially be open to more charges than I would if we were making the move together? (I realise you can't comment specifically without knowing what stuff I have.)
When we moved over we shipped a 20ft container of household goods and clothes and other personal stuff. My wife the US citizen shipped the container as far as the customs forms were concerned, but the forms showed some boxes contained my clothes and other stuff. In was end of 2006 so my memory of the forms isn't great but I recall you show the items are those of a returning resident and other family members are immigrating to the US.

Whoever handles the shipping for you, should have the forms. If you carry it all on the flight tell the customs part of CBP that you are immigrating and are arriving that day. Returning residents and immigrants are allowed to import personal and household items, over a year old I believe, free of duty. If I remember correctly the immigrants visa details goes on the shipping forms.

Hint everything is always over a year old, they don't ask for receipts.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Apfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond reputeApfelkuchen has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the info . I don't think I communicated my situation properly before: my husband is already living in the US without me, so he (the USC and resident) will not be involved in the move at all. However, from your second paragraph it seems like I should be OK nonetheless.
Old Dec 10th 2012, 8:40 pm

Originally Posted by Apfelkuchen
Thanks for the info . I don't think I communicated my situation properly before: my husband is already living in the US without me, so he (the USC and resident) will not be involved in the move at all. However, from your second paragraph it seems like I should be OK nonetheless.
You are covered. Details here https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/det...firearms,-gift