Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Customer service

Customer service

Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:41 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Customer service

This is kind of an offshoot from The "How is your day" thread. I'm just wondering what is so hard about shop staff just being visible and available to help (and pretending they give a *****).
Last year I was in a Conns, and as soon as I walked in, some guy asked if he could "help me find something". I said my usual no thanks, and the little punk followed me around the store. I guess he was on commission. I gave him a Great British glare and walked to the next aisle. They didnt get the message, I so decided to walk out. I got hassled right up to the door by staff, until we exchanged words. Of course that was my last visit to Conns. It seems its either harassment like that or a bunch of kids who can't wait to get back to their little party.
Now I remember the latter in the UK, but the other - whats the deal? Is this a Texas thing??
I prefer to shop online where possible now. No language barriers there either
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Ash UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond reputeAsh UK/US has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Customer service

Best Buys are bad too... my hubby and I never shop there.

Ash
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:55 pm
The Unmod

paddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond reputepaddingtongreen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm surprised at Best Buys because their people aren't on commission. They usually ask and I say no I'm just grazing and they leave me alone.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 8:56 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

This is an American thing. Just tell them that if you have a question you'll ask.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

I am so used to it now that i walk into stores in the UK smile and say hello to the staff and they look at me like i have lost the plot

must admit usually if i say i'm fine they disappear! I think they are genuinely friendly here in Texas!
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
This is an American thing. Just tell them that if you have a question you'll ask.
I did that when I walked in! I guess they dont understand ENGLISH.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:20 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Chorlton
We're just not USED to unfriendly people who want to be left alone, here. But the electronics store personnel are real pestilence.

Okay next time try: "If you disturb me while I'm shopping, I'll leave."
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe they thought you were going to steal something. You didn't walk to the store did you?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by snowbunny
We're just not USED to unfriendly people who want to be left alone, here. But the electronics store personnel are real pestilence.

Okay next time try: "If you disturb me while I'm shopping, I'll leave."
Most other places are okay. You're right, its the electronics stores - just like used car lots. Go to a sporting goods store and they're all really helpful and not intrusive. See, it can be done.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:24 pm

Originally Posted by Philgr
Maybe they thought you were going to steal something. You didn't walk to the store did you?
You're right. I should have used a drive thru
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:24 pm
Lapine Member

Originally Posted by Philgr
In the heat, wearing a very large coat?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:25 pm
Lapine Member

You're right. I should have used a drive thru
Damn, they should really implement those for pre-orders.
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:28 pm

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Most other places are okay. You're right, its the electronics stores - just like used car lots. Go to a sporting goods store and they're all really helpful and not intrusive. See, it can be done.
I'm still convinced electronics stores think all there customers are there to shoplift, hence the lingering sales associates and don't even start me off with the (usually) old fart at the door of Walmart "May I see your receipt for that unfeasably large TV, which you may have slipped into the cart on purpose, without paying for it" OK OK call me an old cynic....
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gruffbrown
I'm still convinced electronics stores think all there customers are there to shoplift, hence the lingering sales associates and don't even start me off with the (usually) old fart at the door of Walmart "May I see your receipt for that unfeasably large TV, which you may have slipped into the cart on purpose, without paying for it" OK OK call me an old cynic....

you're an old cynic?
Old Oct 7th 2005, 9:31 pm
Lapine Member

Chorlton you been to Fry's yet? I can't FIND an associate when I want one.

Of course, being female, they think I'm an idiot who's waiting for my husband to come along eventually. When I was younger I would tell them my credentials but I can't be fussed these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.