Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Curry anyone?

Curry anyone?

Old Aug 1st 2009, 4:13 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Curry anyone?

Originally Posted by tonrob
My ears were burning, and now I see why...
Your "ears"? Is that what you're calling it these days?
Old Aug 1st 2009, 5:47 pm
roamin in the gloamin

clydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond reputeclydegirl has a reputation beyond repute

A wee bird told me you were looking for a curry.

There are 2 on the Illinois side of the river. I don't know which one you would be nearer to.

The first one is in Swansea on route 159. It's called India's Oven. They have a lunch buffet which I have had. You can also order off the menu. I've had a few carry outs from there. Take 64 to Fairview Heights exit and turn right on to 159. It's a straight shot from there, probably 3 miles. It is in the Schnuck's plaza behind McDonald's

The second one is in Edwardsville I've never eaten there. My friend has she said it was OK. It's called Mr.Curry's. It's on route 143 Marine Road.

There are more on the Missouri side I found 8 when I googled.

Enjoy.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paulycarts
Hi i have only been here for 7 months and the best i have tasted is a sauce we buy from Meijer store. Its actually in the English section, Lloyd Grossman sauces. The chicken madras is bang on and my favourite and the tikka massala is excellent too, my wifes favourite.
How can you bring yourself to buy anything with that sneering chump's mug on the label?

A couple of chain stores in the US import Patak's - a far superior product line.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 7:15 pm
Forum Regular

Paulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nice

We tried a pataks too...bloody awful
WHo cares who is on the label it tastes awesome!!
Old Aug 1st 2009, 7:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

Also, I am lucky to have traveled the US pretty well, but I have to say I have yet to find a decent curry joint. Some of the ones I have been to have been properly awful.

In fact the best curries I have had here were actually from English pubs.

My current opinion is that if you want a good curry here, you need to make it yourself.

The way I try to look at it is, while I have lost good indian food, I have gained other cuisines - particularly Japanese - that I love which are not readily available back home.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Paulycarts
We tried a pataks too...bloody awful
WHo cares who is on the label it tastes awesome!!
Yeah, Pataks is a bit hit and miss. Some of the pastes are good enough to work with though.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Paulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nicePaulycarts is just really nice

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Yeah, Pataks is a bit hit and miss. Some of the pastes are good enough to work with though.
Not sure which one we tried but my wife wont touch them again it was that bad!!!
I promise you try the Grossman chicken madras and your opinion will change. My first ever curry was chicken madras and i have eaten it ever since and this sauce is perfect.
Old Aug 1st 2009, 10:05 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by caleyjag
Also, I am lucky to have traveled the US pretty well, but I have to say I have yet to find a decent curry joint. Some of the ones I have been to have been properly awful.

In fact the best curries I have had here were actually from English pubs.

My current opinion is that if you want a good curry here, you need to make it yourself.

The way I try to look at it is, while I have lost good indian food, I have gained other cuisines - particularly Japanese - that I love which are not readily available back home.
I found a perfect place just north of the border in Montreal - bit far from you though. Run by a chap who used to run a curry house in Ealing (round the corner from where I used to live, funnily enough). Bloody marvellous British-style curry.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 2:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by tonrob
I found a perfect place just north of the border in Montreal - bit far from you though. Run by a chap who used to run a curry house in Ealing (round the corner from where I used to live, funnily enough). Bloody marvellous British-style curry.
Canada is a totally different kettle of fish. Britain could take her back tomorrow and the citizens of Victoria wouldn't even notice a change.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 6:10 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Pick up a copy of the Riverfront Times (Free at supermarkets, gas stations etc...) and check out their website, they list, review or advertise many ethic places in the area. If you find a good one let me know, I'd like to try it. I've tried a couple near where I work (a little south of the airport) one I liked but it's closed now, and the other one looked good (all you can eat and cheap) but as I discovered after going there once for lunch it's vegetarian only so I havent been back.
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 8:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

PepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond reputePepsiChic has a reputation beyond repute

well im just south of the city (Hillsboro) but we travel around the state a fair bit, and will probably spend time in Indiana (Elkhart) as we have some close friends there.

I've been to Montreal but wasnt looking for a curry house, will remember that next time i go though.

I dont mind the Grossman produts, the Korma from Pataks is really nice and creamy. Tbh, i used to love the Tesco curry sauces but im not travelling to California to find out if they sell them here in their new chain "fresh and easy".

If i manage to find a good Curry house we'll all have to meet there!

the other thing im missing is Cadburys Chocolate Buttons, I've asked my parents back home to post some to me
Old Aug 2nd 2009, 9:57 pm
Septic Sprout

tonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond reputetonrob has a reputation beyond repute

Restaurant Bombay, 1723 rue Saint-Denis
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 2:04 am
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

What about making your own curries and Indian food? If there's any Indian groceries in your area, you're set. If not, a World Market or possibly nearby grocery stores may have the ingredients to make a curry.
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 9:44 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Mahatma Gandhi Center
727 Weidman Road, Ballwin,MO,63011
(314) 256 8375

India Palace

4535 N Lindbergh Blvd, Bridgeton,MO,63044
(314) 731 3333

Curry in a Hurry

235 Chesterfield Mall, Chesterfield,MO,63017
(636) 532 8818

India Palace

1111 E Broadway, Columbia,MO,65201
(573) 443 2090

Rasoi

1101 EBroadway, Columbia,MO,65201
(573) 817 2009

Taj Mahal

19N 5th St, Columbia,MO,65203
(573) 256 6800

Kaboom

176 West Country Center, Des Peres,MO,63131
(314) 965 2398

Great India

1706 W 39th St, Kansas City,MO,64111
(816) 753 3331

New Cafe Tandoor

3623 broadway, Kansas City,MO,64111
(816) 216 6305

India's Rasoi

14222 Manchester Road, Manchester,MO,63011
(636) 394 2911

Maharaja Continental

14424 Manchester Rd, Manchester,MO,63011
(636) 386 4634

Priyaa Indian Cuisine

1910 Mckelvey road, Maryland Heights,MO,63043
(314) 542 6148

Curry in a Hurry

612 Olive St, Saint Louis,MO,63101
(314) 241 7900

House of India

8501 Delmar Blvd, Saint Louis,MO,63124
(314) 567 6850

Kohinoor Restaurant

608 Eastgate Ave, Saint Louis,MO,63130
(314) 721 3796

Gokul Snacks & Sweets

10633-B Page, St Louis,MO,63132
(314) 428 8888

India's Rasoi

4569 Laclede Ave, St Louis,MO,63108
(314) 361 6911

India's Rasoi

7923 Forsyth Blvd, St Louis,MO,63105
(314) 727 1414

Tandoori Hut Restaurant

3279 Hampton Ave, St Louis,MO,63139
(314) 646 8488

The Peacock Cuisine

2137 Barrett Station Road, St Louis,MO,63131
(314) 965 3822

Flavor Of India

11939 Olive Blvd, St. Louis,MO,63141
(314) 997 4224

Govinda's Vegetarian Restaurant

3926 Lindell Blvd, St. Louis,MO,63108
(314) 535 8085
Old Aug 3rd 2009, 11:53 am
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, Manc. There are a couple on there I might try out. The ones in Columbia and KC are kind of a drive from STL though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.