Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Which currency is the CC charged in for passaport renewals

Which currency is the CC charged in for passaport renewals

Old Apr 23rd 2012, 5:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute
Default Which currency is the CC charged in for passaport renewals

If you submit the credit card form together with your passport renewal request to WashingtonDC, do they charge your CC in US $ or UK Sterling?
Thanks
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 5:25 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which currency is the CC charged in for passaport renewals

Do you mean applying for a UK passport while in the US?
Ours was charged in US$ for the UK passports, the paperwork I printed off says how much it costs in $ the price seems to keep going up.
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

jmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond reputejmood has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, applying for Uk passaport while in the US.

$255 for 48 page passport + $33 courier fee.

So, it's charged in US $'s to the CC?
Old Apr 23rd 2012, 6:17 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jmood
Yes, applying for Uk passaport while in the US.

$255 for 48 page passport + $33 courier fee.

So, it's charged in US $'s to the CC?
Yes it was charged in US$
Old Jun 14th 2012, 6:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

I just found out the answer for myself. Actually it is NOT charged in US $, or to be more specific it is not charged in the USA. The charge is made outside of the US (presumably in the UK?), so you will pay a foreign transaction fee on your credit card.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 12:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Jscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond reputeJscl has a reputation beyond repute

My bank has started ringing us up for permission every time we charge something in a different currency. I understand their caution, it's a small bank and maybe few people do that, but I was also interested in the answer to this question, because I don't want them trying to charge it and our bank putting it on hold because they can't reach us to confirm for some reason.

Just had to have a moan there . But thanks for the info!
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:14 am
Forum Regular

Married2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond reputeMarried2abrit has a reputation beyond repute

My husband got his UK passport renewed about a year and a half ago (through Wash, DC). His American credit card was charged the amount in American dollars and was not charged a foreign transaction fee, so maybe things have changed recently.