Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

A cup of ... what???

Wikiposts

A cup of ... what???

Old Jun 8th 2006, 7:00 pm
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice
Default Re: A cup of ... what???

Originally Posted by snowbunny
Eh? We say STRAW-bear-ee here .... though granted Texas is its own country.

however if I am in the UK I will say "strawb'ry" and "raz'b'ry" -- not really changing ACCENT but pronunciation.

And I ask for ice cubes.... failing that, frozen water, ice klontjes (it's something like that in Dutch!), hielo, glace, whatever.
Ah, recall my first visit back to Africa after being here 8 months. Asked the waiter for ice in my drink and he brought it back to me with ice alright...one cubeful!...ha!ha!

Many southern folk don't understand my accent, so I go native with them. Easy enough after nearly a decade here...
Old Jun 9th 2006, 12:45 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Ah, recall my first visit back to Africa after being here 8 months. Asked the waiter for ice in my drink and he brought it back to me with ice alright...one cubeful!...ha!ha!

Many southern folk don't understand my accent, so I go native with them. Easy enough after nearly a decade here...

I asked for a baked potato in a cafe in Wales once, my friend immediately jumped in and said "she means a jacket potato!". She was worried that I would be misunderstood. If someone in Britain doesn't know that they are the same thing then there is no help for them IMO. I could understand and American not knowing what a jacket potato was though, that may need some explaining! (I understand that this is not a pronunciation thing, I just wanted to share! )
Old Jun 9th 2006, 3:34 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Crispyuk88
Ever had cheese in a can? Bloody 'ell stuffs god awful.

ROFL at Waderburger
Sorry, nope, I just wouldn't be able to eat it, just the thought of it makes me feel sick!
Old Jun 9th 2006, 5:36 am
Account Closed

TouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really niceTouristTrap is just really nice

Originally Posted by blaze
I asked for a baked potato in a cafe in Wales once, my friend immediately jumped in and said "she means a jacket potato!". She was worried that I would be misunderstood. If someone in Britain doesn't know that they are the same thing then there is no help for them IMO. I could understand and American not knowing what a jacket potato was though, that may need some explaining! (I understand that this is not a pronunciation thing, I just wanted to share! )
Well, they do dress more formally in Europe

*let go, I'll make my own way out the door thankyouverymuch *
Old Jun 9th 2006, 6:51 am
Blondie22

blaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond reputeblaze has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TouristTrap
Well, they do dress more formally in Europe

*let go, I'll make my own way out the door thankyouverymuch *

Old Jun 12th 2006, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm more amazed that you got the croissant without a problem. I find it hard not to pronounce it with a French accent, especially the final syllable, but here they have a weird pronunciation that I can't even mimic. Sounds something like 'cwassant' Needless to say I usually end up pointing (or choosing a cookie)...

I've found Hispanics have trouble understanding me, especially the nearer to Mehiho one gets, but to be fair they're not expecting an English accent. Sometimes having an English accent comes in useful. Recently I've been looking for cars and furniture. Given that ALL Hollywood baddies are British, I put on my best don't-mess-with-me Gary Oldman accent when hassled by 'sales associates'... It says 'bugger off and leave me alone' without actually saying it and, once they've stopped gushing about Jamie Cullen or something, usually works well. Failing that I turn on the Geordie and suddenly they find other customers to harrasse....

Was it nice fruit salad?

Originally Posted by Elvira
Just paid another visit to the friendly guys at our local CIS to enquire about my son's AOS and hand in his AP application.

Went into the coffeeshop next door to get my parking validated. This is what I said:

"Can I have a croissant, a small coffee and a cup of water, please"

This is what I got:

- a croissant
- a cup for the coffee
- a plastic cup of...

FRUIT SALAD!!!
Old Jun 13th 2006, 1:51 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol
I'm more amazed that you got the croissant without a problem. I find it hard not to pronounce it with a French accent, especially the final syllable, but here they have a weird pronunciation that I can't even mimic. Sounds something like 'cwassant' Needless to say I usually end up pointing (or choosing a cookie)...

I've found Hispanics have trouble understanding me, especially the nearer to Mehiho one gets, but to be fair they're not expecting an English accent. Sometimes having an English accent comes in useful. Recently I've been looking for cars and furniture. Given that ALL Hollywood baddies are British, I put on my best don't-mess-with-me Gary Oldman accent when hassled by 'sales associates'... It says 'bugger off and leave me alone' without actually saying it and, once they've stopped gushing about Jamie Cullen or something, usually works well. Failing that I turn on the Geordie and suddenly they find other customers to harrasse....

Was it nice fruit salad?

Oh the croissant was comparatively easy because I got THAT confusion out of the way first. The only ones they had on display were 'fancy' ones, so I asked whether they had any "plain croissants". She did puzzle for a moment and asked "sorry, what?", and I did repeat it with some sort of imitation of 'cwassaaaaant'. Doesn't work with "woadder" though - I simply cannot say it!

I take your point with Mexicans (and 'Asians'). I always speak extra slowly to them... And an English accent definitely cen be useful. On the rare occasions when I need to complain about something, I can easily go up the scale from Helen Mirren to Judi Dench and - if things get desperate Margot Leadbetter...
Old Jun 13th 2006, 2:00 am
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Oh the croissant was comparatively easy because I got THAT confusion out of the way first. The only ones they had on display were 'fancy' ones, so I asked whether they had any "plain croissants". She did puzzle for a moment and asked "sorry, what?", and I did repeat it with some sort of imitation of 'cwassaaaaant'.
I just get an image of you doing a pseudo-budweiser commercial. Cwassssssssssssssssant?
Old Jun 13th 2006, 3:30 am
Back where I belong!

Location: Melbourne, Oz to Banbury, England to El Mirage, AZ & now back to England!
Partystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond reputePartystar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gsnichol

Was it nice fruit salad?
Ah ha, someone that's noticed that too (see my signature!)!!!
Old Jun 13th 2006, 3:31 am
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dan_alford
I just get an image of you doing a pseudo-budweiser commercial. Cwassssssssssssssssant?

I look a lot better than them toads though...
Old Jun 13th 2006, 3:42 am
BE Enthusiast

gsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond reputegsnichol has a reputation beyond repute

I take your point with Mexicans (and 'Asians'). I always speak extra slowly to them... And an English accent definitely cen be useful. On the rare occasions when I need to complain about something, I can easily go up the scale from Helen Mirren to Judi Dench and - if things get desperate Margot Leadbetter...
I sincerely hope I'm there when you're complaining to an associate named Jerry and declaim "That's the last time I play the tart for you" before storming off
Old Jun 19th 2006, 7:34 am
Slight chance of Showers

dan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond reputedan_alford has a reputation beyond repute

Had a new one this week. We have a local walmart with a McDonalds inside and they serve salted pretzels.

Me: Can I get two Salted Pretzels please?
Cashier: You want two sausages with eggs in shell?
Old Jun 19th 2006, 7:44 am
Back where I belong!

Originally Posted by dan_alford
Had a new one this week. We have a local walmart with a McDonalds inside and they serve salted pretzels.

Me: Can I get two Salted Pretzels please?
Cashier: You want two sausages with eggs in shell?
Hahaha, that actually made me laugh out loud!
Old Jun 19th 2006, 7:50 am
Captain Caaaaaaveeemaaaan

TN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really niceTN-Dave is just really nice

Originally Posted by Partystar
Hahaha, that actually made me laugh out loud!
lolol... I know what you mean - although people's awareness of accent's here is awful !...

Someone came into my office the other day and spoke to my colleague and asked for me... When they asked for a description of me (as I'm not the only male in my offiec), they replied with "I spoke to that Asian Guy the other day".... How I sound and look Asian is beyond me... but oh well ! LMAO