Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Culture shock?

Culture shock?

Old Aug 9th 2002, 1:17 am
Betastar

Default Re: Culture shock?

On 8 Aug 2002 19:05:01 GMT, ms_bhon <[email protected]> wrote:

>That being said, I will tell you that my British husband grew up with an English
    >mother and an Austrian father- in the UK. His dad lived there for 33 years until he
    >passed away last year, and is buried in the village cemetary. Although he
    >eventually began to think of Britain as his home, he remained an Austrian citizen.
    >If you wish to remain here, you can continue to live as a permanent resident. No
    >need to become a citizen unless you want to be able to vote or get certain security
    >clearances for work.

To be fair, Austria did not (and mostly still does not) allow dial citizenship,
whereas the UK will allow it with the US - more options available than an
Austrian has.

Betastar (speaking as one who's husband is looking into how to petition for dual
citizenship between Austria and the US)

Old Aug 9th 2002, 1:35 am
Michael D. Young

pussycat wrote:

> Hi, Mike.
    > It's people like you who really publicise your country and make all sensible,
    > thinking Americans cringe, isn't it? It's loudmouths like you who make people like
    > me really want to emigrate to my husband's country cos, gee whiz, you just make us
    > all feel so damn welcome. With all the "foreigner bashing" that I see in the news
    > coming from the US lately, it makes me want to disappoint my American husband and
    > beg him to stay here instead of me emigrating just to be a sneered-at homesick
    > foreigner just so's he can go home.
    > My man has lived in the UK for years, he didn't become a citizen nor did anyone
    > expect him to - so what's so great about your country that it should be a
    > "requirement"?
    > Do you enjoy being America's ambassador in this way? Do you enjoy bringing your
    > country down with this sort of arrogant assumption that we should all salute a
    > foreign flag just because we reside in the country? What's wrong with respecting
    > your adopted country, keeping it's laws, integrating as much as you can and
    > generally not rocking the boat without having to become a citizen of it? No
    > country on earth is so wonderful that it'll stop someone being homesick.
    > It's a bit like going out to someone else's house for dinner. Respect and
    > gratitude for being invited is one thing, but you're not going to move in and adopt
    > them as your own family.
    > Then again, I suppose you don't get out much, do you?
    > Don't let the sarcasm hit you on the arse on the way back into your playpen.
    > -- cat

Hi All!

Did I say I didn't want people to come here to live?

I don't think it too much to ask someone that comes here from another country to
enjoy all the benefits of living in the BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD to care enough to
become a citizen of that country at some point..

You go for dinner, you eat and leave, but these people did move in.

It just shows to me where your loyalty lies.

Take care,

Mike

Old Aug 9th 2002, 2:08 am
Michael D. Young

Steve wrote:

> "Listen up there, sparky. One american to another. I think you should personally
    > apologize to each and every non-citizen permanent resident in America. You know,
    > the ones who "miss their home country". The ones who pay the taxes to feed and
    > supply America's military - the instrument of YOUR freedom, the ones who are
    > "contributing" their dollars to fight the war on terrorism, the ones who are paying
    > their taxes to educate your kids and put cops on your streets, the ones who are
    > protecting your ungrateful keester while you sit home, wave your flag and complain.
    > AND they're doing it without the right to vote for or against the SOBs in DC who
    > made it so frustrating to get to the US in the first bloody place.

Is living here supposed to be free, they have the same protections that I have as a
U.S. citizen, so they should pay for everything as I do. Not my fault they can't
vote. All the more reason to become a citizen. You know taxation without
representation.

> Immigrants built "the land of the free" there, chuckles. Chinese, Irish, German,
    > Scottish...who do you think picks your strawberries, MBAs?? These people chose to
    > come to the US for a reason. They chose to live in the US for a reason. Chances
    > are extremely good someone in your family was an immigrant - are you going to tell
    > me they never spoke of "the old country"? Never missed it? Was just ecstatic every
    > day of their lives to be in the USA?? Whether they, or any immigrant alive misses
    > their country is irrelevant in light of what they've done for America in the past,
    > and they're doing for your whiney ass now. Now shut up, grow up, read history and
    > put down the flag.

Yeah I'm sure somewhere in my family tree there are immigrants, since I'm not and
American Indian. But as far as I know my grandfather from Italy was a U.S. citizen.
If your are not proud of your country again not my problem.

> And by the way, Captain America - the Statue of Liberty was a gift from France.
    > And I bet the Frenchman who supervised it's construction missed his country too.

I'm sure he went home after it was done too. He didn't stay and whine about living
here and how great it would to be in his home country.

Take care,

Captain America LOL

Old Aug 9th 2002, 2:31 am
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

WOW ... some great stuff on this tread. Nice writing you guys.

Rete
Old Aug 9th 2002, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

andrewdean is an unknown quantity at this point

Believe it or not a lot people come here not because they think that the USA is better. They moved here to be with thier loved ones. They do not deserved to be treated as second class citizen just because they are not US citizen or the fact they are different. It is people like yourself who would be the most vocal if you were treated like this in an other country.

Old Aug 9th 2002, 3:19 am
Dj

My point of view:

I personally do not feel any sort of "culture shock". I am, however, from Canada,
but Canadian culture is still somewhat different from American culture. I do not
plan on giving up my Canadian identity, however I also plan on adapting to my NEW
culture in America. I chose to come here with my wife, so I plan on becoming a part
of that culture as well. I see myself as becoming a mix, some Canadian and some
American (Camerican?). I knew what I was in for when I moved to the US. I knew
(just as everyone frankly, should know) that things were going to be different in
America, just as they would be different on a move to ANY country other than "home".

My biggest adjustment to America (which actually has nothing to do with the culture
really) was getting used to living in the country (by that I mean rural). And boy do
I mean the country! I live on the outskirts of a town of about 2000 people. No high
speed internet out in this neck of the woods, and damn I gotta drive for 30 minutes
to get ANYWHERE. I'm slowly getting used to this. I've been a city boy all my life.

I have been learning much about America in the last few months. I feel it is in my
best interest to know as much about my new surroundings as possible. I bought a book
on American government and history, I am currently self-studying portions of American
law among other things American. I am investing in the American stock market. Me
and the wife have visited American landmarks (just recently, the Alamo in San
Antonio, Texas). I am also learning as much as possible about my new State
(Oklahoma) and new city (Tulsa - closest major city).

I've been in America for less than a year and I already own 2 American flags (yes I
own Canadian flags as well). Why did I purchase these flags? Well, I wanted to
display them, just as I want to display the Canadian flag. I stored the first
American flag I purchased because I bought it as a symbol of moving my family tree to
the United States. I AM becoming a part of the American culture by CHOICE. Why? I
plan on living in the US for a long time so part of my culture WILL BE American. At
my age, I will in all probability spend the majority of my life in America (I am 24).
My kids will be born and raised primarily in America. This is my home now.

DJ

> So, two weeks before my AOS interview I announced to my husband that "I don't want
    > to BE an American". He said "what, you don't want to live here?". I said, "sure,
    > we can live here but I don't want to BECOME... like.. American".
    > He then accused me of stereotyping.
    > I guess I've moved around the world so much (South Africa, Australia, UK,
    > Indonesia) that I never thought I'd get this kind of cultural claustrophobia:
    > obsessively scanning the sugar content on teh side of cereal boxes, travelling
    > across town to buy asian food and eating sardines at every opportunity.
    > This whole IDENTItY thing was brought on by watching Black Hawk Down with a group
    > of our (American born and raised not travelled) friends. The differences between my
    > and their response was really disturbing.
    > The frustrating thing is we can't afford to make lots of trips home to see friends
    > and family and get my non-america fix.
    > Anyway, I just wondered if there were many others out there who really miss their
    > home countries and have got over the thrill of being "in the US with loved on" and
    > kind of wish they could be somewhere else with loved one, for a while.
    > Shannon (with one year old baby, getting stir crazy)
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 9th 2002, 4:05 am
Meagan Jaynes

I personally cannot wait for the day I can become an American citizen. I love it
here. I love my country too but I do agree with the statement that America is the
greatest country. I will always be Canadian, but I will also be a very proud
American. A few more reasons for my wanted to be a US citizen so badly are because
I want to have the same citizenship as my future children and I plan on living here
for the rest of my life. I want to be able to vote for my government. I like to
have my say.

Old Aug 9th 2002, 4:19 am
Michael D. Young

andrewdean wrote:

> Believe it or not a lot people come here not because they think that the USA is
    > better. They moved here to be with thier loved ones. They do not deserved to be
    > treated as second class citizen just because they are not US citizen or the fact
    > they are different. It is people like yourself who would be the most vocal if you
    > were treated like this in an other country.

Hi All!

Well I have said this before, but I will say it again. Moving out of your home
country to the U.S. is a major decision and I just think too many people just don't
think it out. Were are in love only last for a while and then reality sets in. I
miss mommy and daddy and my favorite cookies.

That's why if I was running things there would be no AP, unless your brother needed
your kidney. LOL Permanent resident would mean permanent. It would be conditional
for 5 years and after 5 years you apply for citizenship. That would the rules, if
you don't like it don't come.

As much as people bitch about the INS and the only way to get them off your back is
to become a U.S. citizen and not want to do it mystifies me.

Well you say people come here for love, that might be part of it, but I'm sure there
hasn't been many people giving up a 6 figure income to come here for love. How many
doctors come here on a K-1?

I don't plan to move out of the U.S., since there is no other place I rather live.

Take care,

Mike aka Captain America LOL

Old Aug 9th 2002, 5:43 am
Forum Regular

Perdue is an unknown quantity at this point

OK, Michael, so you wouldn't want to live anywhere else, America is the greatest, and you are ever so proud to be American...what would happen if the one you loved wasn't able, for whatever reason, to join you in the US?

If you went to her country, be it Russia, Holland, Canada, Venezuela, Namibia...would you say to yourself, "well, ok, here I am, let's toss it all and become a citizen of this fab new country"? After all, it's where you live, you must be just dying to become a citizen, no?

Not all of us immigrants "chose" to come here. I am here because of my husband. No more, no less. I left a lot to come to this country and I don't begrudge that. But I do get offended at people insisting that I must be just dying to become American, because, after all, what else is there,

I am not entirely certain that I want to become an American citizen. But at this point I have no intention of going back. I am here because I love my husband, and being here makes him happy. To suggest I have less value to your country because I am "only" a registered alien is belittling. To suggest that I pack up and go back to where I came from because I may or may not choose citizenship suggests to me that your future wife may have a harder time ahead than she expects.

Homesickness is not a weakness, nor is recognizing your own country's faults. America is not the paragon of perfection you would portray it as, although it has many fine qualities, and many fiine citizens.

I suggest you do a little traveling...spend a little time looking around the world to appreciate what you have, and to appreciate why not everyone thinks it's as desirable as you do.
Old Aug 9th 2002, 6:04 am
Forum Regular

andrewdean is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes I gave up $100,000 income working in the oil business and took a job at half that to be with my wife.

As to your idea of no AP, why not just say no one can travel. As after all in your opion why should they want to leave america. In fact maybe you can test this for us by moving across america and not travelling home to see your family and friends for five years.

As to loev only being temporary, if this is your idea of how to enter into marriage, then maybe that explains how some people seem yo treat marriage like they would cars. As soon as you get tired of it, trade it and get a new one.
I personnaly got married for life and we actullay plan to stay in love till we die.I suggest you check what the marriage vows are next time or do you merely think you should say them and then forget them when it does not suit you.

I do not know about you but do happen to love my parents and family. Although I miss some things about home I also enjoy otherthings about america. Same as my wife likes certain things about Scotland, it is called being open to diversity and new experiences.

So in your opion everyone should become a US citizen and forget thier hertage. So much for the land of the free. What happened to your ideas of freedom of choice?

As to if you do not like the rules then do not come. What happened to the idea if you do not like the rules then campaign to get them changed.

Last edited by andrewdean; Aug 9th 2002 at 6:10 am.
Old Aug 9th 2002, 8:52 am
Morkai Kurst

I am me. Simple as that.

Why label yourself? As corny as that argument has gotten in this day and age it still
has the base element of truth.

I will probably speak with a British accent for as long as I can hold off catching
the southern accent, nothing against it but its one of the things my american
beloved and friends love about me. I've had the threats if I lose the accent I
will always long for certain things back home. But I will always be me, wherever I
live. The only thing that can change that is you, not swearing allegience to another
flag or living in another country. I will embrace my partners life and bring into it
things of my own.

My great aunt and uncle emmigrated to the States 40 years ago, I met them a few weeks
ago. I asked them if they still considered themselves British or if they thought
themselves American. They said they were through and through Americans. I wonder what
I will feel like in 40 years time.. However since I can't read the future I won't
worry about it. I will look back in 40 years time and probably laugh about it. I will
be whoever I happen to be then.

Don't get me wrong, I see nothing wrong with considering yourself to be British or
American or Martian. But why limit yourself? Be everything you can be, Be yourself

Good luck,

Morkai

"Shannon" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > So, two weeks before my AOS interview I announced to my husband that "I don't want
    > to BE an American". He said "what, you don't want to live here?". I said, "sure,
    > we can live here but I don't want to BECOME... like.. American".
    > He then accused me of stereotyping.
    > I guess I've moved around the world so much (South Africa, Australia, UK,
    > Indonesia) that I never thought I'd get this kind of cultural claustrophobia:
    > obsessively scanning the sugar content on teh side of cereal boxes, travelling
    > across town to buy asian food and eating sardines at every opportunity.
    > This whole IDENTItY thing was brought on by watching Black Hawk Down with a group
    > of our (American born and raised not travelled) friends. The differences between my
    > and their response was really disturbing.
    > The frustrating thing is we can't afford to make lots of trips home to see friends
    > and family and get my non-america fix.
    > Anyway, I just wondered if there were many others out there who really miss their
    > home countries and have got over the thrill of being "in the US with loved on" and
    > kind of wish they could be somewhere else with loved one, for a while.
    > Shannon (with one year old baby, getting stir crazy)
    > --
    > Posted via http://britishexpats.com

Old Aug 9th 2002, 10:02 am
Xtrynytix

>America is not the paragon of perfection you would portray it as, although it has
    >many fine qualities, and many fiine citizens.

Here, here......

And it's views like Michael's that gain America the *arrogant, brash and you only
exist, because we allow it* reputation.

America is a fine country......but it's not the be all and end all of
civilisation...I'm from the UK and you'd be amazed at just how may American's think
I'm from a third world country. Numerous Americans are still unaware that there is
life beyond their own shores.

I'm fed up personally of....I bet you don't get this in the UK...or I bet you don't
get that.....Say what? lol.

And it's ok Michael......I fled back to my own shores.....after four months in the
States, I knew I could never make it my home. England is where I needed to be, and
that's exactly where I am. So one less *immigrant* for you to rant about. lmao!

Old Aug 9th 2002, 11:23 am
Andy Platt

"Michael D. Young" <[email protected]> wrote ...

> Shannon wrote:
    > > So, two weeks before my AOS interview I announced to my husband that "I don't
    > > want to BE an American". He said "what, you don't want to live here?". I said,
    > > "sure, we can live here but I don't want to BECOME... like.. American".

> Well if you don't ever want to become a U.S. citizen and miss your "home country",
    > I suggest you go back.

On your rather idiotic rant against people who choose to live in a country but not
become citizens of that country again Michael? She didn't say she didn't want to
become a US citizen (whether she does or not is irrelevant) . She said she doesn't
want to become an American. And she won't - she can't, just as I can't.

Andy.

--
I'm not really here - it's just your warped imagination.

Old Aug 9th 2002, 11:25 am
Steve

So let me get this straight - if someone comes to this country to live, but doesn't
want to be a full-fledged citizen or think the US is the greatest country on earth,
then they should leave, yes? Is that what you're advocating?

Old Aug 9th 2002, 11:40 am
Pussycat

> Did I say I didn't want people to come here to live?

Pretty much, by the tone of your last post. "Don't let the statue of liberty hit
you in the ass on the way out" isn't precicely what I'd call welcoming. But maybe
I'm just being oversensitive. Who knows, perhaps where you come from that's some
sort of greeting.

> I don't think it too much to ask someone that comes here from another
country to
    > enjoy all the benefits of living in the BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD to care
enough
    > to become a citizen of that country at some point..

I am a patriotic woman. I love my country and even if I sometimes privately think
it's the BEST COUNTRY IN THE WORLD I wouldn't insult every other nation by saying it
in public because what's the best to me, might not be so to someone else. The word
"best" means that all else are inferior and can, at best, only achieve runner up
status. "Best" is a quantifiable adjective. You can be the "best" at a sport if you
win a competition. Has there been some sort of national competition and the rest of
the world wasn't informed? Who where the panel of judges? On what date were you
awarded the title of "best"? Or - shock, horror - could this be just your *personal*
opinion? (Do you know what that means, I wonder?)

So, fine. Let's play this game. What makes your country the "best", then?
Achievements? Yea...America has had some fine achievements. So has Scotland and
Britain. In fact, it was Scotsmen who invented the telephone, the surfaces you drive
on, the pneumatic tyres which go on the Scots invented surfaces. It was a Scotsman
who discovered penicillin. It was a Brit who invented television - although maybe
that's not such a great invention. It seems to be the primary source of education
for some of the more ignorant masses who like to lisp propoganda to the rest of the
world with neither fear nor favour.

Where would *your* nation be without these things?

Now, doesn't this all sound rather childish? Yes, it does. But then, I'm playing
*your* game, lowering my standards and communicating with you at *your* level.

America is a great country - undoubtedly. But so are many others throughout the
world and to question someone's loyalty and patriotism is more than just arrogance in
the extreme but politeness forbids me to tell you just what it is in a public forum.

> You go for dinner, you eat and leave, but these people did move in.
    > It just shows to me where your loyalty lies.

My loyalty lies with those who've earned it. I don't give my alliegiance freely. If
I remain in another country for a period of time and feel that it's earned it, fine.
That does not mean, however, that I'll relinquish my past, my identity or my original
national loyalties. Even if I *did* become a US citizen (by CHOICE rather than as a
REQUIREMENT), I'd always be British, always be Scottish and always loyal to those
nations. In other words, if the dual citizenship right was ever dissolved, I'd keep
my red passport, thanks very much. I see no harm in becoming an American citizen, it
may even be beneficial, especially if I were to make it my permanent home - but I'd
be a dual citizen. American AND British. And both would have my loyalties. Not
just one. Both.

Your country may be great but so is mine and always will be. As I said previously, I
am happy to integrate with American culture, keep the laws of the land etc. Don't
mistake me as someone "fleeing" from oppression to the land of the free. I am
planning emigration not to go to your "best" country but because that's where my
husband comes from. I am going because of loyalty to him. Not to your country, not
to my country. I would happily remain where I am if it weren't for him. I am sure
I'll find things in your country just as good as I have here - different maybe, but
just as good. I respect people from all nations - and (DO try to understand this
concept. Thinking is so important...) I expect the same in return. If I don't get
it, then I form opinions of the citizens of that country and, if it weren't for the
fact that I have some good friends in the States, I'd begin to think that, if you are
an ambassador for your great nation, the US might be somewhere to avoid rather than
to look forward to.

-- cat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.