Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Culturally switched sides

Culturally switched sides

Old Oct 16th 2011, 6:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Culturally switched sides

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I can honestly say that I have NEVER had a doggy bag or even remotely considered one.

To be honest it seems a bit cheap taking ones left-overs home, something one would expect of the poor or working class if they've been out for their one big meal of the year.

If I have eaten a Thai meal on a Monday night, the last thing I want is more of the same Thai food on Tue or Wed - yeesh.

95% of the restaurants I visit are within walking distance, I don't want to walk back home with a box of congealing food in my hands - I'd feel like the waiter not the customer.

I imagine it might be different if you have kids who can hoover-up pretty much anything, same goes with dogs.
I don't have qualms taking food home I've paid for. But agree with you that I wouldn't want to be eating the same leftover meal all week. Seems more sensible to order a smaller portion the first time, and go out to eat more often, for those that can afford to anyway.
Old Oct 16th 2011, 9:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the French ask for doggy bags?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 10:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

nethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond reputenethead has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
hmm what that be , un sac chien, si vous plait?
Old Oct 16th 2011, 10:26 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nethead
hmm what that be , un sac chien, si vous plait?
Now I'm intrigued, it seems to be 'doggy bag'. I just couldn't imagine having a beautiful French meal in a classy place and then asking for one.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/archive/t-957408.html

In general doggy bags are not acceptable in France. A discussion of the topic in a French forum I frequent showed a few people for it, but the majority found the idea a bit disgusting.

Here's a little anecdote regarding an American friend, fluent in French language and culture, who dared to request a doggy bag in Paris:

Ms. X took some visitors to dinner at a restaurant. One person ordered fish, thinking it sounded good on the menu even though he didn't normally like fish. When dinner arrived, he realized he wasn't going to like it this time either, and so that beautiful whole fish sat untouched. Thinking it would be a pity to waste it, at the end of the meal Ms. X politely asked the waiter if he could possibly wrap it for her to take home. He regarded her with disdain and asked in a snooty tone: "It's for your cat, Madame?" Ms. X looked back at him and said, "Yes, it's for my cat."

The waiter proceeded to clear the table, stacking all the plates on top of the plate with the fish and pushing them down firmly for good measure. He disappeared into the kitchen and eventually returned with a small packet of foil. Arriving at the table, he squished the packet between his hands and handed the crumpled silver ball to Ms. X.

"For your cat, Madame."
Old Oct 16th 2011, 11:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Now I'm intrigued, it seems to be 'doggy bag'. I just couldn't imagine having a beautiful French meal in a classy place and then asking for one.

In general doggy bags are not acceptable in France. A discussion of the topic in a French forum I frequent showed a few people for it, but the majority found the idea a bit disgusting.

Here's a little anecdote regarding an American friend, fluent in French language and culture, who dared to request a doggy bag in Paris:

Ms. X took some visitors to dinner at a restaurant. One person ordered fish, thinking it sounded good on the menu even though he didn't normally like fish. When dinner arrived, he realized he wasn't going to like it this time either, and so that beautiful whole fish sat untouched. Thinking it would be a pity to waste it, at the end of the meal Ms. X politely asked the waiter if he could possibly wrap it for her to take home. He regarded her with disdain and asked in a snooty tone: "It's for your cat, Madame?" Ms. X looked back at him and said, "Yes, it's for my cat."

The waiter proceeded to clear the table, stacking all the plates on top of the plate with the fish and pushing them down firmly for good measure. He disappeared into the kitchen and eventually returned with a small packet of foil. Arriving at the table, he squished the packet between his hands and handed the crumpled silver ball to Ms. X.

"For your cat, Madame."

Gotta love a French waiter.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:36 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

"For your cat, Madame."
On a flight from Chicago to Manchester once I was next to a young French guy. After every meal/snack he would ask me if I was finished and did I mind if he had my untouched portions. He was a student but I thought he was crazy the first time he asked but got used to it by the end of the flight.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 1:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
On a flight from Chicago to Manchester once I was next to a young French guy. After every meal/snack he would ask me if I was finished and did I mind if he had my untouched portions. He was a student but I thought he was crazy the first time he asked but got used to it by the end of the flight.
Maybe there's an exception to every rule....
Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:28 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it would be an issue - the French like to take their time over dinner so they'd be able to finish it. It only becomes an issue when you're being rushed off your table because you're taking too long to eat.

They probably hardly ever get indigestion or acid reflux in France either ...
Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I doubt it would be an issue - the French like to take their time over dinner so they'd be able to finish it. It only becomes an issue when you're being rushed off your table because you're taking too long to eat.

They probably hardly ever get indigestion or acid reflux in France either ...
Also on top of the rushing you to eat your food, there's the issue of the humongous portions, if they gave you a normal (healthy) size portion you wouldn't need to take left overs home.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 2:52 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Also on top of the rushing you to eat your food, there's the issue of the humongous portions, if they gave you a normal (healthy) size portion you wouldn't need to take left overs home.
Usually I can finish mine, even if it is on the large side, but I have a huge appetite anyway

Im my experience, when we have taken leftovers home if we've been out anywhere, all that happens is they sit in the fridge for three days and then I throw them out. FFS, if they're going to be binned anyway, I'd rather not have to bother with them taking up space in the fridge.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:09 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Usually I can finish mine, even if it is on the large side, but I have a huge appetite anyway

Im my experience, when we have taken leftovers home if we've been out anywhere, all that happens is they sit in the fridge for three days and then I throw them out. FFS, if they're going to be binned anyway, I'd rather not have to bother with them taking up space in the fridge.
At the places I eat out, you don't have to ask special for a box.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:10 pm
I have a comma problem

I doubt many people would be keeping their leftovers from there though!
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Usually I can finish mine, even if it is on the large side, but I have a huge appetite anyway .

Pig!
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:14 pm
I have a comma problem

Pig!
We go out to eat so rarely these days so I just make sure I get my money's worth.
Old Oct 17th 2011, 3:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

We go out to eat so rarely these days so I just make sure I get my money's worth.
No, we don't go out much either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.