Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cultural Differences - Hunting

Cultural Differences - Hunting

Old Nov 11th 2010, 11:50 pm
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cultural Differences - Hunting

Originally Posted by Trixie_b
I'd object to this if I could be arsed.

Anyway, back to rational discussion.
Hunting, I'm pretty handy with a shotgun and a handgun. Scared the sh1t out of the hubster when he took me to the gun range for the first time and shot the center circle from the target paper and told him it was the first time I'd shot a hand gun.
I'm impressed. again
Old Nov 11th 2010, 11:57 pm
Banned

drop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the roughdrop step is a jewel in the rough

If you're going hunting, make sure you kill what you shoot, even if you have to go and finish the job manually - I've seen too many people be a wuss when they've made a bad shot and need to correct their mistakes.
Make sure what you shoot can and will be eaten, or you're on legitimate pest control.
I gut shot on a bull elk once...We tracked it for 2 days, about 7 miles and 6000 feet in elevation.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 3:09 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Is it national "how many times can I say arsed in a post" day?

Must have missed the memo...
I do love excessive use of the word 'arse', don't you
Old Nov 12th 2010, 4:03 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

Can you even eat bear???
If you're desperate...but it's also easy to hunt when you're allowed to use bear traps and if you're really desperate, you'll line hunt animals....but that's after you've raided the local supermarkets of canned food....
Old Nov 12th 2010, 4:04 am

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
If you're desperate...but it's also easy to hunt when you're allowed to use bear traps and if you're really desperate, you'll line hunt animals....but that's after you've raided the local supermarkets of canned food....
I know where my Mormon neighbors live. They're well prepared, and nice.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 4:05 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Bob, what do you think about troll hunting?

is it a necessary act or just for fun?
Bit of both in the modern age isn't it
Old Nov 12th 2010, 4:06 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Bit of both in the modern age isn't it
Kind of like MILF hunting then?

(did I get away with it . . . ?)
Old Nov 12th 2010, 4:51 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Can you even eat bear???
I've eaten elephant - bit gamey for my taste (although the steaks were huge)
Old Nov 12th 2010, 12:16 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Check out this award winning picture from David Chancellor.
It's a 14 yr-old chick on a horse with the antelope she hunted.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/...28_634x513.jpg
(I won't paste inline because of the copyright.)

Anyway, sure, it's in the Daily Fail, but I had to have a gander at the comments section. Sure enough, there's a ton of panty-waisted hand-wringers decrying this outrage.

Hunting! How obscene! 14 years old! My God!

How pathetic has the British people become that hunting is simply anathema to them? Even though they're quite happy to go and buy processed, packaged, dyed stuff from the supermarket.

How emasculated and infantilized a people are we that a natural and necessary behavior has become shocking and distasteful?

Do you hunt? I don't yet, but I plan on learning, so I can teach my son. Not just the shooting aspect, but dressing the carcass, preparing the meat etc.
I see it as an essential life skill. And a rite of passage.

I already have my first kill. I was 16 and went beating at a farm in Dorset. We bashed through the undergrowth with sticks to drive the pheasants towards the guns.

When the guns fire, the shot rains down on you in the trees. What I didn't know was the birds are often only stunned. We had to take our sticks and bash the bird on the head to kill it.

I went home afterward feeling queasy, that I was going to hell for killing a bird. Apparently, these are normal feelings. A rite of passage, as I said.

I'm glad I went through it and I think it's an important part of becoming a man.

What do you think?

I think I'll need a few minutes to organize my thoughts. In the meantime, if some of you find this subject interesting and have some time to spare, here's a similar thread from a few years ago: http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...hlight=hunting

Timely thread BTW, I leave next Wednesday for a week of deer hunting back in MO. The season there starts this Saturday, but due to some issues here at work I'll miss the first few days. This will be the first opening weekend I'll have missed in 16 years.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 1:49 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
I've eaten elephant - bit gamey for my taste (although the steaks were huge)
Elephant? Bloody hell!
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:16 pm
Banned

Kind of like MILF hunting then?

(did I get away with it . . . ?)
I knew there was a reason I liked you...I hunt animals in April and October, the rest of the year i'm hunt'in split tail.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:21 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by drop step
I knew there was a reason I liked you...I hunt animals in April and October, the rest of the year i'm hunt'in split tail.
I'm always on the hunt
Old Nov 12th 2010, 2:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
I know where my Mormon neighbors live. They're well prepared, and nice.
They do make good neighbors.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 3:30 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Check out this award winning picture from David Chancellor.
It's a 14 yr-old chick on a horse with the antelope she hunted.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2010/...28_634x513.jpg
(I won't paste inline because of the copyright.)

Anyway, sure, it's in the Daily Fail, but I had to have a gander at the comments section. Sure enough, there's a ton of panty-waisted hand-wringers decrying this outrage.

Hunting! How obscene! 14 years old! My God!

How pathetic has the British people become that hunting is simply anathema to them? Even though they're quite happy to go and buy processed, packaged, dyed stuff from the supermarket.

How emasculated and infantilized a people are we that a natural and necessary behavior has become shocking and distasteful?

Do you hunt? I don't yet, but I plan on learning, so I can teach my son. Not just the shooting aspect, but dressing the carcass, preparing the meat etc.
I see it as an essential life skill. And a rite of passage.

I already have my first kill. I was 16 and went beating at a farm in Dorset. We bashed through the undergrowth with sticks to drive the pheasants towards the guns.

When the guns fire, the shot rains down on you in the trees. What I didn't know was the birds are often only stunned. We had to take our sticks and bash the bird on the head to kill it.

I went home afterward feeling queasy, that I was going to hell for killing a bird. Apparently, these are normal feelings. A rite of passage, as I said.

I'm glad I went through it and I think it's an important part of becoming a man.

What do you think?

I guess I'll start with my own experience. I was born and raised by non hunting parents in an urban area. I knew very few people who hunted until I was in my later teens. A couple of my uncles hunted ducks and I knew one kid whose family had moved to the city from a rural area and did quite a bit of hunting with his father. That said, the hunting gene must have been part of my makeup. As far back as I can remember I knew it was something I needed to do. As a kid, my interest in firearms, bows and other tools of the trade was nearly nerdy. For me, there was no why, there just was.

Other kids quoted baseball stats, I knew calibers and ballistics and specifications for numerous firearms. For a 4th grade English assignment I wrote and illustrated a theme paper on the inner workings of the flintlock ignition mechanism. I planned excursions modeled on the Corps of Discovery trip up the Missouri river that eventually led to the Pacific Ocean. When I was about 10 or 11, my parents finally had a chat with me after I handed my Mom a shopping list as she was heading out to the grocery store. On it were things like Flour: 40lbs, Coffee: 20 lbs, dried beans: 30lbs.

Had I grown up in a rural area in a hunting family instead of in a city with parents who not only didn't hunt, but had a distinct dislike of things that went bang, maybe my interest wouldn't have been so intense. I dunno. Although my parents weren't too keen on hunting or firearms we did a lot of camping and fishing which thrilled me.

I went on my first actual hunting trip with an Uncle when I was 15. Every year, he drove down to Alabama to spend a week deer hunting with his wife's relatives. I didn't get a deer, in fact, no one did the week we were there, but the experience was the thrill of my life. Being in the woods before first light, watching the sun slowly make it's way over the horizon and sending it's rays through the thick pine forest, the shadowy shapes that fed my imagination for the previous hour of darkness finally taking shape as the increasing light gradually revealed stumps and rocks and brush. Hearing the rustling and scurrying and chirping as the nocturnal creatures return to their dens and the day shift of squirrels and birds takes over... I've experienced dawn in the woods a hundred more times since then and it has that magical quality every time, but that first morning in Alabama was the catalyst for a reaction that turned the already strong elements of interest within me into a passion.

Why do I and other people have this passion? I've thought about this quite a bit. For my answer, as I do with a lot of things, I looked for an explanation from four legged animals. It's my belief that we as humans have more in common with our four legged friends than we like to think and by remembering this, and looking at an issue from that perspective I have often found an answer that satisfies me as being close to the truth.

Animals, especially non-domesticated animals, don't do anything without reason. They can’t afford to waste energy on trivialities, their every action has a purpose. If you peel back all these actions and purposes and distill them to an ultimate goal, I believe that what you end up with is an innate drive to live long enough to propegate and thereby ensure the survival of the species. Any animals life is governed by this instinct and their every action works towards this goal. It’s their, and our, ultimate life’s purpose.

Even as "evolved" humans it's no accident that the feelings of hunger, fear (survival) and sexual desire are some of the strongest that we experience. We humans have existed on this earth a relatively short time and it's not surprising that these drives that were so necessary for our earliest father's survival are still strong today. Though strong, they have been muted by morality and convienience to the extent that for most people they are dormant, only awakening in the case of extreme necessity.

I believe that suppressing these instincts, while viewed by some as being progressive, isn’t quite healthy and that this process of distancing ourselves from our ancestors is a fools game of denying our humanity and our place in this natural world. I feel it’s not only my duty to remind myself of our place in this ecosystem by hunting, but to teach my children to hunt as well. To teach them that we are human animals and participants in a natural order of things that necessitates the taking of life to sustain our own. I have no issue with people who decline to participate in their carnivorious heritage by becoming vegans, it's a choice that I honor and respect. But if you eat meat or wear fur or leather yet decry hunting as barbarous, you’re just kidding yourself.

One last point for those who state that having a rifle or bow gives unfair advantage to the hunter. Having a rifle might facilitate the actual kill, but in order to kill an animal, you have to see it before it sees, scents, hears or otherwise senses your presence, and that’s where the “hunting” part comes in. If you think being equipped with a weapon makes hunting easy, you’re mistaken. Prey animals are equipped with amazing senses that they utilize with uncanny ability and brilliant effect. Avoiding predators is their business and if they were’nt any good at it they would soon cease to exist ie: the passenger pigeon and nearly, the American Bison.
Old Nov 12th 2010, 7:02 pm
Diamond Geezer

Ridski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond reputeRidski has a reputation beyond repute

I have nothing against hunting, and I would love to go hunting with someone who knows what they're doing one day.

I just don't understand why it's on my TV. In fact I really don't get why there are whole channels that show nothing but hunting and fishing.

Then again, I feel the same way about golf.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.