Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cultural Differences - Hunting

Cultural Differences - Hunting

Old Nov 11th 2010, 4:41 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cultural Differences - Hunting

Originally Posted by drop step
Oh you have to marinate it for a week at least. My wife won't even allow it in the house. I have about 40 kilo's of it in the barn freezer now, me and the dogs are the only ones who like it. I like to eat it after a great workout because I believe it builds muscle better than any other kind of meat.

That being said - back to our little asteroid scenario, I'm sure bears wouldn't be the first readily available animal to hunt anyway.

My bet is most people would start with fish, and maybe try their hand at rabbits or deer.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 4:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
That being said - back to our little asteroid scenario, I'm sure bears wouldn't be the first readily available animal to hunt anyway.

My bet is most people would start with fish, and maybe try their hand at rabbits or deer.
or looting the local supermarket.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 4:51 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing

Or people.....
Old Nov 11th 2010, 4:52 pm

Yorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond reputeYorkieabroad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Perhaps I should just bury lots of tins of beans in my back garden for when the inevitable occurs.
See if you can find them in aluminum cans as they take 500-1000 years to decompose, rather than tin cans which are only about 50-75 years...
Old Nov 11th 2010, 5:04 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

I grew up in the city and moved into the country at age 32. I had no interest in killing animals when I moved up here but neighbors talked me into going hunting with them that first year I was here. Now i'm not going to say there is something spiritual about hunting, but I will say that there is something instinctual about tracking, stalking, killing, butchering and eating animals.. We men have been doin it for literally billions of years. It's in us, and its not going away in just one or two generations. It's like how a woman feels the need to clean a house, or cook, it just feels right to them, it's what they were born to do..
I'd object to this if I could be arsed.

Anyway, back to rational discussion.
Hunting, I'm pretty handy with a shotgun and a handgun. Scared the sh1t out of the hubster when he took me to the gun range for the first time and shot the center circle from the target paper and told him it was the first time I'd shot a hand gun.
At that point he didn't know I've been shooting clays for years.

If you're going hunting, make sure you kill what you shoot, even if you have to go and finish the job manually - I've seen too many people be a wuss when they've made a bad shot and need to correct their mistakes.
Make sure what you shoot can and will be eaten, or you're on legitimate pest control.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 5:28 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
or looting the local supermarket.
Originally Posted by Yorkieabroad
Or people.....
I had considered both of these (looting being the most obvious and the one I'd pick).
Old Nov 11th 2010, 6:38 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by orangemirror
Yeah I've been wondering that myself all these years but didn't like to ask. I'd quite like to go hunting myself but have this nagging feeling that i'd just embarrass myself by bottling out of shooting the damn thing at the last second.
Oh pish, you should just ask someone to take you along (Georgia, how hard can it be to chase up a neighbor or..?). It's interesting and people usually like to share their hobbies.
Even if I don't continue hunting, I've enjoyed my experiences with it. My version was a sort of Greenpeace approved nature walk.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 6:42 pm
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

I can see you now "oh please sir can I have some food for my starving wife and baby, i'll balance your check book or Microsoft your windows???"
No, I'd be breaking into your house and scoffing your bear-burgers whilst your were out hunting.

Of course the likelihood of the asteroid/doomsday scenario actually panning-out still means one would logically be better focusing on skills more pertinent to normal life.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 6:50 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
No, I'd be breaking into your house and scoffing your bear-burgers whilst your were out hunting.

Of course the likelihood of the asteroid/doomsday scenario actually panning-out still means one would logically be better focusing on skills more pertinent to normal life.
I wish someone would tell that to the History Channel :rollseyes:

Your point is valid though - nothing wrong with hunting as a hobby for those that like it but there's also nothing 'wrong with the world' that everyone doesn't do it. Surely it makes it more fun for those who genuinely love hunting that there isn't 3 million other people running around stepping on sticks and scaring away the quarry . . .

Maybe not but if I'm out on a photo walk, I don't want to be taking pictures of a bunch of other photographers (for example).
Old Nov 11th 2010, 7:21 pm
Forum Regular

MadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond reputeMadRad has a reputation beyond repute

I don't agree with trophy hunting. I have no problem with indigenous communities hunting as they use everything they take, but in the 'developed' world I feel it's totally unnecessary.

I grew up in rural Scotland and am very familiar with the need to work and live off the land. I still have many friends and relatives who work in those industries. So I'm no townie, and I've seen the harsh realities of nature. I don't believe that hunting is necessary to control animal populations etc - if we left things alone nature always finds a balance. When people complain there's too many deer, for example, they tend to ignore the fact that the predators have been killed off. Or when someone suggests reintroducing a native predator, they get up in arms about the potential danger that predator brings, without considering the benefits. It's all about balance.

I don't have a problem with meat for food, as long as it is produced in a responsible way. We can and should be able to produce what's needed to feed ourselves without destroying the countryside and the natural order. But hunting for 'sport', to me, is plain wrong. There's nothing 'fair' about it when humans hunt with weapons, be it guns, bows or dogs - last time I looked, a bear couldn't shoot back, and I don't think one fox against a pack of hounds is a fair contest.

Last edited by MadRad; Nov 11th 2010 at 7:31 pm. Reason: Added info
Old Nov 11th 2010, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Oh pish, you should just ask someone to take you along (Georgia, how hard can it be to chase up a neighbor or..?). It's interesting and people usually like to share their hobbies.
Even if I don't continue hunting, I've enjoyed my experiences with it. My version was a sort of Greenpeace approved nature walk.
<hijack>

Mo, I see you avatar says "For Kyron". What's the latest news on that story? I haven't heard much about it for the last few months.

</hijack>

I live in an area that hunting is definitely a way of life - even for those guys that live here in the city. I've known people to take a week of their vacation to go hunting, and take their children out of school to go hunting. I don't know anyone who's ever hunted for the trophy - that's always secondary to the meat, baby!
Old Nov 11th 2010, 9:26 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MadRad
I don't agree with trophy hunting. I have no problem with indigenous communities hunting as they use everything they take, but in the 'developed' world I feel it's totally unnecessary.

I grew up in rural Scotland and am very familiar with the need to work and live off the land. I still have many friends and relatives who work in those industries. So I'm no townie, and I've seen the harsh realities of nature. I don't believe that hunting is necessary to control animal populations etc - if we left things alone nature always finds a balance. When people complain there's too many deer, for example, they tend to ignore the fact that the predators have been killed off. Or when someone suggests reintroducing a native predator, they get up in arms about the potential danger that predator brings, without considering the benefits. It's all about balance.

I don't have a problem with meat for food, as long as it is produced in a responsible way. We can and should be able to produce what's needed to feed ourselves without destroying the countryside and the natural order. But hunting for 'sport', to me, is plain wrong. There's nothing 'fair' about it when humans hunt with weapons, be it guns, bows or dogs - last time I looked, a bear couldn't shoot back, and I don't think one fox against a pack of hounds is a fair contest.
Yeah, I'm just going to go and wrestle a deer...
Is a fishing rod a weapon? Or a trawler's net?

What the hell are we meant to use, man? Harsh language?
- Pvt Hudson
Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

FIL used to hunt, but he couldn't be arsed, he's up before the arse crack of dawn spending the mornings in the woods working that he doesn't want to do the same with a gun on his time off.

I can't be arsed with hunting because I can't be arsed with getting wet and cold at that hour either.

Don't think there's anything wrong with it if people enjoy it though, but more impressed when it's done for the food aspect, or as a proper sport of the hunt rather than the excuse of the hunt which is more common these days, using a hunters hut, line driving, decoys, that's not hunting.
Old Nov 11th 2010, 10:53 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Bob, what do you think about troll hunting?

is it a necessary act or just for fun?

advantages are that you don't have to get up early or go anywhere outside your nice comfortable home office most days to have them fall at your feet.
just see my previous post in this thread....
Old Nov 11th 2010, 11:46 pm

Is it national "how many times can I say arsed in a post" day?

Must have missed the memo...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.