Cuba?

Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:24 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Question Cuba?

I was recently watching 'Globetrekker' (formerly known as 'Lonely Planet') The English presenter Ian Wright has the *best* job in the world! A trip to Cuba was shown.

Now I know that Americans can't go to Cuba, but I also know that there are ways around it eg. going on a 'cultural tour' with a museum. I also know that lots of British travel companies arrange flights or/and packages to Cuba.

Has anyone been there or knows anyone who has? Obviously it's not a place of luxury, but an unusual place to explore and see how life is under Communist rule with conditions circa 1950s.

I'd love to go there sometime and was chatting with a girlfriend a few minutes ago. She's booked a week off in late May and was looking online for an unusual (and not too expensive) getaway and I suggested to her that Cuba might be a good place to go with her husband. I said I'd try and help with researching it.

The way round it if you're American (or presumably a US resident) is to go via Canada according to the Lonely Planet guidebook. We're on the East Coast so it would almost certainly be a flight from Toronto or Montreal...you just ask the Cuban immigration not to stamp your passport, they just stamp the landing card instead which is torn out on departure. You can't use US credit cards or traveller's cheques (not a problem, she's an Aussie).

http://www.globetrekkertv.com
Old Apr 15th 2004, 2:46 am
Forum Regular

edwords is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cuba?

I've already seen Alcatraz. You've seen one prison, you've seen them all.

BTW, I object to the U.S. government's ban on USCs traveling to Cuba. We are, after all, supposed to be free people. I suppose I could visit on my U.K. passport, but I choose not too. I've spoken with too many Cuban refugees. I wouldn't enjoy myself.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 3:29 am

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cuba?

Originally posted by Englishmum
I was recently watching 'Globetrekker' (formerly known as 'Lonely Planet') The English presenter Ian Wright has the *best* job in the world! A trip to Cuba was shown.

Now I know that Americans can't go to Cuba, but I also know that there are ways around it eg. going on a 'cultural tour' with a museum. I also know that lots of British travel companies arrange flights or/and packages to Cuba.

Has anyone been there or knows anyone who has? Obviously it's not a place of luxury, but an unusual place to explore and see how life is under Communist rule with conditions circa 1950s.

I'd love to go there sometime and was chatting with a girlfriend a few minutes ago. She's booked a week off in late May and was looking online for an unusual (and not too expensive) getaway and I suggested to her that Cuba might be a good place to go with her husband. I said I'd try and help with researching it.

The way round it if you're American (or presumably a US resident) is to go via Canada according to the Lonely Planet guidebook. We're on the East Coast so it would almost certainly be a flight from Toronto or Montreal...you just ask the Cuban immigration not to stamp your passport, they just stamp the landing card instead which is torn out on departure. You can't use US credit cards or traveller's cheques (not a problem, she's an Aussie).

http://www.globetrekkertv.com

My niece visited Cuba via Mexico, and enjoyed it very much as a visitor. It is, of course, very hard to live there since the deprivations are quite severe due to shortages of just about everything, the economy is down the tubes, and free political expression can be bad for your health. The people, however, are more than friendly and welcoming, the music is excellent, the climate superb. With foreign currency in your pocket you can live cheaply and find perfectly nice hotels, bars, restaurants etc. It's not really life under a communist 1950s government any more, but life under a man who does not want to lose power and is prepared to do many unpleasant things to keep it, and who has failed to set up any kind of democratic progression after his death. There's nothing especially communist about it. That sort of thing is, as they say, the same all over. The 1950s part is mostly because there is no money and no new goods such as modern cars, no money to repair infrastructure, etc. etc. I know several Cubans who live here, who respect Castro for running the old US puppet government out and for speaking out in the Organization of American States against US hegemony, resent the pressures the US brought to bear, both economic and military in the failed Bay of Pigs invasion, and who are also deeply critical of Castro's subsequent mistakes, ruthless actions against opponents and those who speak against him, and unwillingness to share or leave power. I would go.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 4:04 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I know quite a few friends who have gone there in recent years from the UK, one on Business the others on all inclusive holiday packages.

All reported favourably.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 8:34 am
Forum Regular

Expat_Wannabe is on a distinguished road

I went to Varadero a couple of years back on an all-inclusive (from UK). Its dirt cheap to go, but the food isn't up to much (anywhere you go, regardless of the star rating of the hotel). However, I definitely recommend it, especillay Havana and the mojitos! The choice of food may be limited but the sun and people more than make up for it!
There were absolutely loads of Canadians there, apparently its also dirt cheap to go from there.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 11:20 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

From what I hear, it can be very high class. Obviously there are poor parts but it isn't as backward as people think. I have also been told that US citizens can fly from Canada or Mexico and have no problems getting in, but if you get into trouble the US government disown you.
Old Apr 15th 2004, 11:49 am
Forum Regular

Expat_Wannabe is on a distinguished road

They actually don't even stamp your passport, sure it still shows up on electronic records, but kind of weird!
Old Apr 15th 2004, 4:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute
Talking

I went to Varadero last year. It's a great place to visit, really nice people, of course tourists have dollars and that's what the people want.

Food wasn't great, even in Sandals, but the beach was beautiful, they don't let local people try to sell you things on the beach like the rest of the Carribean. Locals are very scared of the police so you'll never have any trouble from anyone, although we did hear of a drunk guy who was *talking loudly* to a couple in Havana, the police dragged him off into a car.

Sometimes the locals may approach you and they'll be very friendly, as the conversation progresses and they think they have your trust they may ask you to bring them food from your resort, we were asked for milk a few times. One thing you must remember is these people are bery poor and they still live on very little rationed food every month.

I loved it and would recommend it to anyone thinking of going there, but be prepared to see the poor side of Cuba too. If you can put up with that, it's lovely.

-tom
Old Apr 26th 2004, 5:20 am
Forum Regular

daveuk1965 is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe I`ll get a better response here -

I`m a UK citizen - not American - though I expect to be working in Orlando on a L1 visa in October. IE I have no travel restrictions.

Will I be able to visit Cuba from Miami, or, on my return, will my L1 visa get illegally ripped by by US "any law suits us" Customs ?

IE, "We know you got a UK passport, Bubba, but you`se here in the US of A on an Amurrican visa ........ and we don`t like that Fidel boah."

Dave
Old Apr 26th 2004, 2:42 pm
Forum Regular

suzieque is an unknown quantity at this point

I too have seen those programs on travelling there and fancied a look but until husband leaves USAF it is absolutley no go for us. If he got caught he'd be in big trouble.....
Suzie