Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit Card recommendations?

Credit Card recommendations?

Old Dec 12th 2007, 4:53 pm
Forum Regular

Peacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nice
Default Credit Card recommendations?

Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good credit card for people new to the USA like myself? My husband has added me to his card with Citibank and we also have a joint account there but id like to start building up my own credit and so far have no idea who would be the best to use!

Thanks
Old Dec 12th 2007, 5:59 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Card recommendations?

Originally Posted by Peacefulove
Hello everyone.

I was wondering if anyone can recommend a good credit card for people new to the USA like myself? My husband has added me to his card with Citibank and we also have a joint account there but id like to start building up my own credit and so far have no idea who would be the best to use!

Thanks
a bank of america secured credit card

pay $500 up front that you can borrow against

after a while people like target will give you a store card with a tiny limit, then washington mutual

then you get to good cards like citi bank cards in your own name/american express blue credit or their charge cards/unsecured bank of america cards

this is obviously all in my personal opinion - the process take a couple of years

unfortunately the loophole that used to be present regarding piggy-backing on your spouses credit to increase your fico score has or is about to be closed
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:04 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone.

Thanks
As a new arrival your options are limited. Unlikely you'll get anything other than a secured card for a while.

After that, it depends on what you consider a 'good CC' to be - do you want air miles, cash back or do you actually want to borrow/not pay back the balance...

Check out the US site of the Motley Fool for options.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Britinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud ofBritinsac has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Elvira
As a new arrival your options are limited. Unlikely you'll get anything other than a secured card for a while.

After that, it depends on what you consider a 'good CC' to be - do you want air miles, cash back or do you actually want to borrow/not pay back the balance...

Check out the US site of the Motley Fool for options.
Yes but eventually you will get so tired of the junkmail offers of CC's pouring into your mailbox daily.....and when you have 8 or 9 you will start to trim back...
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:43 pm
Riding on silver wings

ugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond reputeugacrew has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone.

Thanks
Try this site for side by side comparisons of credit card offerings. You can even look up card by type such as air miles, cash back, savings and so forth.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 6:46 pm
Forum Regular

Peacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nicePeacefulove is just really nice

Thanks for all the replies! Yes ive noticed my husband gets about 10 offers come through in junk mail every day which prompted me to think about getting my own. Id ideally like one where i get reward points for spending. I will be paying the balance of every month as well it will mainly be for my expenses like train fares, lunches that sort of thing, so not looking for a particularly high limit and a high interest doesnt matter either as i will be paying the balance in full!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 7:54 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Hello everyone.

Thanks
You can piggyback on your husband's credit. However, if he doesn't have good credit, don't do it! It'll do more harm than good.

If you don't have a UK issued AMEX credit card, I would recommend getting a department store card to help you with your credit. It worked for me.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 9:30 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

AmEx is the way to go, BoA is the way to avoid...but also any local credit unions would be a good one to snag.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for all the advice! Im going to try for blue Amex...they can only say no and if thats the case will look into local credit unions.
Old Dec 12th 2007, 9:38 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for all the advice! Im going to try for blue Amex...they can only say no and if thats the case will look into local credit unions.
you'd want to look for them within a week or so because multiple credit searches will ding you, but a bunch within a short time frame will only be counted as one ding
Old Dec 12th 2007, 9:52 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
you'd want to look for them within a week or so because multiple credit searches will ding you, but a bunch within a short time frame will only be counted as one ding
only with mortgages or car loans...
Old Dec 12th 2007, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

well ill be applying for a card tonight, will post the outcome on the forum so hopefully other people in my postion will get an idea if they are wondering as well!
Old Dec 12th 2007, 10:03 pm
Mr. Grumpy

well ill be applying for a card tonight, will post the outcome on the forum so hopefully other people in my postion will get an idea if they are wondering as well!
i can tell you now that you will get anice rejection message or letter if you apply for amex blue

don;t bother wasting the inquiry that will ding your fledgling score
Old Dec 13th 2007, 1:33 am
BE Enthusiast

marriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond reputemarriedtothemod has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
only with mortgages or car loans...
and credit cards...nothing fancy mind, but it'll start you off...
Old Dec 13th 2007, 2:17 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
a bank of america secured credit card
pay $500 up front that you can borrow against
Here's our tale of woe with a Bank of America secured credit card.

We applied for a mortgage with them (which we eventually got) and they suggested we take out a secured credit card to help our credit rating. We said yes, filled in the forms, sent off a $300 cheque.

Waited a few weeks, no sign of the credit card arriving. Phoned them to find out where the card was. Assured it was on its way.

A few more weeks, phoned them, told it had been sent to our old address but they'd cancel that and send one to our new address. Told them we didn't want it any more, please don't send us any more cards (not that any had ever arrived) and please return our $300.

A few more weeks, we phoned them to say still no credit card and where's our cheque for $300.

A few more weeks, got a call from them to ask why we were using our new credit card in Belgium. Of course we'd never received the card. Asked them once again to cancel that card and not to send us any more cards, and refund our $300 immediately. Assured that this would happen straight away.

A day or two later got loads of fraud forms through the post with a letter saying if we don't fill them in and return them we'll be liable for the money spent on the card that we'd never received.

A few days later, a BoE credit card arrived. Phoned to ask why. Assured it was just normal procedure and that the new card had already been cancelled.

Still no $300.

Finally, after several more phone calls, we got a cheque for $300 and an apology.

And by the way, we did take out a mortgage with them, and they *****ed that up so badly that they ended up refunding us our $670 application fee.

Don't touch them with a bargepole.

Once you've been in the country for a short while you'll start getting offers of an unsecured credit card from Capital One. You'll probably get two or three offers a day. We've taken one out, and we're now getting even more pre-approved offers from them.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.