Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Credit Card recommendations?

Credit Card recommendations?

Old Dec 14th 2007, 11:33 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Credit Card recommendations?

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark
Not ALL Capital One reps are horrible. Without sounding full of myself, I was the type of rep that you described: helpful, patient, polite, etc. There are good reps at Capital One, no doubt about it. But the culture that Capital One has created makes those people few and far between, because they are penalized for having those qualities. I mean, really -- reps who achieved low ACT (average call times) by basically sitting on their hands, being curt and rude and doing f-all to help solve the customers' problems were rewarded big time financially (ie, $1000s extra each month), while other reps (like me) who took an extra few minutes to listen to the customer and try to actually help them were reprimanded. I can't tell you how many times I was told, "Don't ask them any questions or ask them to tell you what the problem is; try to figure it out from the account and if you can't fix it quickly, tell them they'll need to call back."

If it sounds like I'm bitter because I didn't get bigger bonus checks, that's not it. I'm bitter because I felt like I could really make a difference -- however small -- at that job, but my hands were routinely tied and I was written up for being "too helpful." And what pisses me off is the fact that consumers out there, including me, deserve so much better, especially when it concerns their hard-earned money.

~ Jenney
Well obviously you had a bad experience, no doubt. Can't blame you there.

At this point - it's been a decent card for me, and the customer service has been excellent. I won't tell anyone else that'll be their experience. If that changes, I'll dump them easy enough.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 1:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tracym
Well obviously you had a bad experience, no doubt. Can't blame you there.

At this point - it's been a decent card for me, and the customer service has been excellent. I won't tell anyone else that'll be their experience. If that changes, I'll dump them easy enough.
I think the main thing is you sound like you have prime cards with them - that is you had a decent credit score before getting a card with them and thus got a decent limit.

I think you will find the experience of people with poor or no credit is quite different - mainly cause they get a low limit and apart from an initial small increase which they sometimes say you can get if you use the card in the first few months they are reluctant to give you any more.

On top of this the fact they didn't report your limits to the agencies until the last couple of months so it made your utilisation go way up (100% if this was your only card), so its understandable why they are not particularly liked.

However as they are reporting limits now I imagine their image may improve somewhat.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Tracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond reputeTracym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Longy
I think the main thing is you sound like you have prime cards with them - that is you had a decent credit score before getting a card with them and thus got a decent limit.

I think you will find the experience of people with poor or no credit is quite different - mainly cause they get a low limit and apart from an initial small increase which they sometimes say you can get if you use the card in the first few months they are reluctant to give you any more.

On top of this the fact they didn't report your limits to the agencies until the last couple of months so it made your utilisation go way up (100% if this was your only card), so its understandable why they are not particularly liked.

However as they are reporting limits now I imagine their image may improve somewhat.
Just curiousity - I wonder how the utilisation works with a card like American Express - there is no actual limit. So how would they report it I wonder?
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:16 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenney & Mark

One of the reasons that I didn't get bigger incentive bonuses was because, in Capital One's opinion, I tended to try to help the customer too much. Working to help fix customers' problems often meant staying on the phone longer than 240 seconds (the maximum call time goal). It takes time to get all the details about the problem from the customer, to read through the notes on that person's account (if anyone actually left notes from previous calls, that is), to look up information on how to solve the problem, and to explain why the problem happened and how it can (or can't) be fixed.

The big trick there, well up where the missus used to work, transfer the call to Spanish desk, because a transfer stopped the clock to keep you on incentive and then blame it on an accident if someone complained
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:21 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Just curiousity - I wonder how the utilisation works with a card like American Express - there is no actual limit. So how would they report it I wonder?
All 3 of my Amex cards have a limit...

Lots of lovely air miles and cashback too
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Elvira

I get the airmiles and all.

But I have no specific limit. Not sure what would happen should I attempt to purchase a Lear jet...
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Longy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to beholdLongy is a splendid one to behold

Are these Amex credit cards or charge cards?

I believe the charge cards don't report the limit so could hurt you in the same way that Capital One used to - but generally people with an Amex charge card would probably have a fair amount of credit to their name and not suffer too much from this.

Edit: Actually it seems they report charge cards differently so they may not have the Capital One effect

Last edited by Longy; Dec 14th 2007 at 2:43 pm.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:39 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

I believe the charge cards don't report the limit so could hurt you in the same way that Capital One used to - but generally people with an Amex charge card would probably have a fair amount of credit to their name and not suffer too much from this.
I don't care what cards I have - I always do the "sign up for new card with lots of lovely bonus miles" dance... and cancel them before they incur a fee...
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

After I figured out the difference (lol) - mine is almost a cross between the two.

It does let me keep a balance (and interest would accrue).

But if I pay off the new purchases for the month (even if I leave a balance) no interest accrues on those purchases. If I want, I can choose to transfer a new purchase to the pay over time option.

But there's no specific limit on either the balance I could carry, or an indiidual purchase that I can find (or been told about). I've had the card half of forvever though...
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I don't care what cards I have - I always do the "sign up for new card with lots of lovely bonus miles" dance... and cancel them before they incur a fee...

Except getting lots of new cards can actually hurt your credit rating. If yours is quite good, probably doesn't do much damage I would guess.
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:47 pm
Homebody

Except getting lots of new cards can actually hurt your credit rating. If yours is quite good, probably doesn't do much damage I would guess.
At this point I don't care as I do not actually need credit (as in not paying it back - I clear all my cards every month). I spend tons of $$$ on travel, so they all really, really want me...
Old Dec 14th 2007, 2:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

At this point I don't care as I do not actually need credit (as in not paying it back - I clear all my cards every month). I spend tons of $$$ on travel, so they all really, really want me...
I'm sure they do then. Doesn't it give you a nice warm fuzzy feeling to be so wanted?

I was mostly just mentioning it for other's to be aware...
Old Dec 14th 2007, 3:50 pm
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

After I figured out the difference (lol) - mine is almost a cross between the two.

It does let me keep a balance (and interest would accrue).

But if I pay off the new purchases for the month (even if I leave a balance) no interest accrues on those purchases. If I want, I can choose to transfer a new purchase to the pay over time option.

But there's no specific limit on either the balance I could carry, or an indiidual purchase that I can find (or been told about). I've had the card half of forvever though...
amex charge accounts report your highest ever balance as your limit, so if one month you blew 20 grand on it, thats what reported as a credit limit (to the best of my knowledge and looking at my credit report)

so yes it can negatively impact your score

and actually you do have a limit, even if you have a centurion card (amex black)

they advertise as if you don't but if you call them and ask them specifically, they admit you have an exposure limit

i'm not being negative towards them, I love my amex charge/credit cards
Old Dec 14th 2007, 3:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by BritGuyTN
amex charge accounts report your highest ever balance as your limit, so if one month you blew 20 grand on it, thats what reported as a credit limit (to the best of my knowledge and looking at my credit report)

so yes it can negatively impact your score

and actually you do have a limit, even if you have a centurion card (amex black)

they advertise as if you don't but if you call them and ask them specifically, they admit you have an exposure limit

i'm not being negative towards them, I love my amex charge/credit cards
Thanks. Whatever the limit is, I seem to have never hit it so I'm not complaining.
Old Dec 15th 2007, 4:36 am
I'm back!

Just Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond reputeJust Jenney has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
The big trick there, well up where the missus used to work, transfer the call to Spanish desk, because a transfer stopped the clock to keep you on incentive and then blame it on an accident if someone complained
Aah, but Capital One dings you for transferring calls as well! In fact, as a supervisor I wasn't even allowed to disconnect calls when the customer became verbally abusive, unless they were making a personal threat against me (cussing me out and screaming into the phone for an hour straight did not meet their definition of "verbal abuse," btw).

My favorite bank/credit card company is USAA. The best customer service hands-down, and very user-friendly to work with if you don't have a "traditional" background (like Mark). We have our auto insurance through them as well, and my insurance only went up about $20 when I added him to the policy -- and that was before he had his US license.

~ Jenney

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.