Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Crackers of the cream type or variety thereof!

Crackers of the cream type or variety thereof!

Old Mar 10th 2011, 7:22 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crackers of the cream type or variety thereof!

Originally Posted by Xebedee
Trader Joe's in Va Beach carry Irish Bangers (bit greasy but not bad cold). In Williamsburg, the super Wallmart and Fresh Market both have a "boule" type bread which is basically a plain bread. Its quite authentic without trying to be. I'll find out exactly what and where if you want to make the trip.
I don't know about your way, but down here, Trader Joes only do those bangers in the run up to St Pats, so get them and freeze then can as they aren't bad, especially for the money....their Bavarian breakfast sausages are good too, similar to chipolatas.
Old Mar 10th 2011, 8:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Well thank ya'll for the suggestions. I can get crusty/italian type bread at Costco here and it's pretty good but I was thinking more of sandwich type bread. May just nip off to TJ's and try some of their cheap stuff. I'll do a slow trawl in Costco (hubster normally just rushes in and out so no speculative shopping lol!) around the crackers too. Will settle for Carrs if I have to with just the odd indulgence of Jacob's once in a while

As for sausages, I quite like the ones we can get here. Costco (are ya spotting a trend lol) do sweet or spicy italian and also chicken with apple (the chicken with mango we got in Cali were brill with a homemade moroccan cous cous but can't find them here). Sausages at home were never the same for me after Marks and Sparks stopped doing their pork, walnut and celery, best, tastiest sausages I ever had - so I'm not missing typical bangers all that much.

Ohhh and whilst we're talking sausages I made hubster a typical "brit" dinner last night of mashed baby potatoes, lots of caramalized onion and sausages ...... he wolfed it down so I think it shall be making a reappearance!
Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MandyNi
As for sausages, I quite like the ones we can get here. Costco (are ya spotting a trend lol) do sweet or spicy italian and also chicken with apple (the chicken with mango we got in Cali were brill with a homemade moroccan cous cous but can't find them here)
TJ have a really good chicken and mango sausage, the chilli ones are nice too.

Just wish they did their pork ones on a regular basis though, the chicken ones are nice and all but not quite the same
Old Mar 10th 2011, 11:45 pm
Forum Regular

Lola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really niceLola-Monmouth is just really nice

Ok not wanting to whine, but having read the shopping thread kind of made me do it lol!

Sooo I miss unsweet bread and crackers, you know the good ole plain white bread or plain crackers. I know I can get Jacob's at World Market, but I'd like to discover US brands if they exist that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Are they out there? Bread, I doubt somehow 'cause TraceyM (who hasn't yet become famous for her domestic goddess traits - teasing ya girl ) resorted to baking her own, but how about crackers? I've bought several varietys but all, even the wholeweat ones have an underlying sweetness and are teeny weeny?
It took me a while to figure out that bread with 3g or less of sugar in is usually OK, white or brown, sliced or otherwise. The sugar content is the important factor.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 1:07 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Well thank ya'll for the suggestions. I can get crusty/italian type bread at Costco here and it's pretty good but I was thinking more of sandwich type bread.
Have you tried your local bakery? Or, we got a loaf of sourdough from Panera yesterday, they will slice it for you, and it's really good.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:17 am
BE Enthusiast

MandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond reputeMandyNi has a reputation beyond repute

Hmmm we have a Panera pretty close by, must nip in there too. Good suggestion, thanks.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Bob
TJ have a really good chicken and mango sausage, the chilli ones are nice too.

Just wish they did their pork ones on a regular basis though, the chicken ones are nice and all but not quite the same
Oh ta Bob, will try and make sure to have a good look around. I haven't been in TJ's since California.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 2:19 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Lola-Monmouth
It took me a while to figure out that bread with 3g or less of sugar in is usually OK, white or brown, sliced or otherwise. The sugar content is the important factor.
Thanks Lola, I'll give that a whirl.
Old Mar 11th 2011, 3:06 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

We got a sliced Italian loaf out of K-Mart the other day. Had some just with butter with dinner last night and it was pretty nice. It isn't too crusty either so it makes a good sandwich. It's a bit more irregular in shape than a normal sliced loaf but it does the job.
Old Mar 12th 2011, 7:25 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Bob
Found them at the store just now! Dangerous! MSG on the ingredients list!
Old Mar 12th 2011, 10:06 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
i like the hotwing shards....those things are deadly on the health front, but the hit is sooo worth it
That might be my fault.. think I posted about those in one of the 'crisps' threads.
They are awfully tasty tho.

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy

edit. Damn.
Old Mar 13th 2011, 12:45 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Originally Posted by MrEmjoy
oh yeah, there's nothing even remotely healthy about those suckers, but boy are they yummy
Old Mar 13th 2011, 1:17 am
Just Joined

petalone is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm pleased I found this thread, I was about to post asking the same thing! I'm fed up with buying crackers and my kids eat one and say they are "yucky" all they keep asking for are jacobs cream crackers and I can't find them!!!
Old Mar 13th 2011, 6:17 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petalone
I'm pleased I found this thread, I was about to post asking the same thing! I'm fed up with buying crackers and my kids eat one and say they are "yucky" all they keep asking for are jacobs cream crackers and I can't find them!!!
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...63#post9208963 post 125

World Market but the price just went up a $1.

Some Safeways carry them as well.

Last edited by Poppy girl; Mar 13th 2011 at 6:20 pm.
Old Mar 14th 2011, 4:33 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petalone
Stater Brothers, depending on where you live...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.