Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Old Jul 31st 2020, 1:53 pm
Just Joined

Cheeksusa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

So I’m also living and working in the USA on an E2 , got stuck in the UK at the beginning of March , I’m navigating my way back now, basically after you been in the UK , you would need to leave the UK and go to somewhere like Turkey , Croatia , Dubai or a Caribbean island for 14 days , whereby after the 14 days you would then be able to return to the USA having not been in an excluded country for a 14 day period.
Old Jul 31st 2020, 6:12 pm
Forum Regular

circusplaza is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Originally Posted by Cheeksusa View Post
So I’m also living and working in the USA on an E2 , got stuck in the UK at the beginning of March , I’m navigating my way back now, basically after you been in the UK , you would need to leave the UK and go to somewhere like Turkey , Croatia , Dubai or a Caribbean island for 14 days , whereby after the 14 days you would then be able to return to the USA having not been in an excluded country for a 14 day period.

And cross your fingers there is no further proclamation to include the country your are spending 14 days layover in

Last edited by circusplaza; Jul 31st 2020 at 7:13 pm.
Old Aug 1st 2020, 7:29 pm
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Cheeksusa View Post
I have read of other E2 visa holders in a similar situation and they aplied to the embassy for a waiver. Took 3 days for a response and was granted. Take a look at the embassy website.
Old Aug 2nd 2020, 5:43 pm
Just Joined

sk_lfc is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by wisygreen View Post
I have read of other E2 visa holders in a similar situation and they aplied to the embassy for a waiver. Took 3 days for a response and was granted. Take a look at the embassy website.
is that discussion somewhere on the forum I could read about? I couldn’t see anything but something I would consider doing, was the waiver to allow travel between home country and USA?
Old Aug 3rd 2020, 8:11 pm
Forum Regular

wisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond reputewisygreen has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sk_lfc View Post
is that discussion somewhere on the forum I could read about? I couldn’t see anything but something I would consider doing, was the waiver to allow travel between home country and USA?
There are Facebook groups for E2 holders. It is a NIE you need. Email [email protected] and they send a questionnaire to fill out apparently.
Old Yesterday, 10:38 am
Just Joined

jack5783 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,
Wondering if someone can help me with their understanding as I am a bit confused about the rules for travelling to the USA and also restrictions on coming back into the UK, including quarantine. I am a USA citizen (dual citizen also with an EU passport) and UK resident. My parent in the USA is very sick and I want to go and visit as soon as possible. Flight London-->Boston, return. The difficulty is both my parents who are there are high risk individuals so I think I'd need to be COVID tested once I got there to ensure their safety. Is there some facility/contact to do this?
From what I can see I am able to travel as I am a US citizen and I don't require any special Visa for this, and there are no presidential restrictions on me. Is there any quarantine period in the USA once I arrive? To come back to the UK, I assume there is a 14 day quarantine period. Are these assumptions correct? Anything else to consider or look into?
Thanks in adavnce
Old Yesterday, 11:35 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The difficulty is both my parents who are there are high risk individuals so I think I'd need to be COVID tested once I got there to ensure their safety. Is there some facility/contact to do this?
This is seriously insufficient for you to even think about. If you contract it on the plane there is no way you would test positive for at least a week, this is why you need to quarantine yourself for 10 days before seeing your parents.

That's without even mentioning that a COVID test can take a week to come back when done at somewhere like a county health department. An ER is not going to test you without signs and symptoms, they wont give it to you 'just because' - they have to protect their resources.
Old Yesterday, 12:14 pm
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jack5783 View Post
Hi,
Wondering if someone can help me with their understanding as I am a bit confused about the rules for travelling to the USA and also restrictions on coming back into the UK, including quarantine. I am a USA citizen (dual citizen also with an EU passport) and UK resident. My parent in the USA is very sick and I want to go and visit as soon as possible. Flight London-->Boston, return. The difficulty is both my parents who are there are high risk individuals so I think I'd need to be COVID tested once I got there to ensure their safety. Is there some facility/contact to do this?
From what I can see I am able to travel as I am a US citizen and I don't require any special Visa for this, and there are no presidential restrictions on me. Is there any quarantine period in the USA once I arrive? To come back to the UK, I assume there is a 14 day quarantine period. Are these assumptions correct? Anything else to consider or look into?
Thanks in adavnce
What State is your eventual destination? MA? In terms of US-wide quarantine, it’s just a recommendation that you isolate for 14 days, arriving from Britain.

https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...countries.html

I flew Heathrow to Boston a month ago, and was exposed on the flight to someone who tested positive to Covid. But the problem was, it was not till four days after my arrival that the contact tracer contacted me, informed me I’d been exposed, and told me I must strictly quarantine for 14 days (voluntarily, otherwise they would get a court order.) Up till that point, obviously I was just voluntarily isolating.

As to testing, that is entirely dependent on state and locality. In NY, where I am, anyone can get a test at any time, free of charge. I believe tests are freely available in MA too. But as Civilservant mentioned, waiting for a result can be anything up to 10+ days...
Old Yesterday, 1:16 pm
Forum Regular

postbox134 is an unknown quantity at this point

The free tests here in New Jersey required proof of local address/work (i.e. a Driving License) so not everywhere will test anyone for free.
Old Yesterday, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Mercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond reputeMercury39 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234 View Post
What State is your eventual destination? MA? In terms of US-wide quarantine, it’s just a recommendation that you isolate for 14 days, arriving from Britain.
New rules for MA came into effect this week https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-travel-order