British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/covid-19-travel-immigration-usa-please-check-here-ask-questions-932378/)

tht Jun 11th 2020 10:49 am

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions
 

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12865034)
No point in contacting the Embassy tbh, if your daughter was born a USC then you simply have to apply for her US passport.

Good luck.

Why is there no point? The US Embassy is primarily there to help USC abroad. My AOS happened when I was on a business trip and and my GC was sent to my apt in NYC. I emailed with the London embassy about what I should use to come back home. They (CBP) responded the same day, they debated issuing a travel letter but ultimately advised to use my L1a, which I did without issue. Since the OP’s daughter is a USC why would he not contact them, worst they can tell the OP is to apply for a passport and may be able to expedite it.

OP please report back here to let others know what happens incase they are in a similar situation.

matthews94 Jun 11th 2020 12:04 pm

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions
 

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 12865034)
No point in contacting the Embassy tbh, if your daughter was born a USC then you simply have to apply for her US passport.

Good luck.


Originally Posted by tht (Post 12865128)
Why is there no point? The US Embassy is primarily there to help USC abroad. My AOS happened when I was on a business trip and and my GC was sent to my apt in NYC. I emailed with the London embassy about what I should use to come back home. They (CBP) responded the same day, they debated issuing a travel letter but ultimately advised to use my L1a, which I did without issue. Since the OP’s daughter is a USC why would he not contact them, worst they can tell the OP is to apply for a passport and may be able to expedite it.

OP please report back here to let others know what happens incase they are in a similar situation.

Exactly, US Citizenship services are currently suspended so there’s no possibility of simply getting a passport right now. They will take emergency appointments though so I’ll see what they can do for us. I’ll do my best to update you, thank you.

petitefrancaise Jun 11th 2020 12:11 pm

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions
 
https://travel.state.gov/content/tra...#39;s%20birth.


For birth on or after November 14, 1986, the U.S. citizen parent must have been physically present in the United States or one of its outlying possessions for five years prior to the person’s birth, at least two of which were after the age of 14.
if your husband fulfils this requirement then your daughter is already a USC - doesn't sound complicated to me. You need to apply for a passport for her. However, they are currently only handing out emergency passports at this time https://uk.usembassy.gov/information...d-19-outbreak/

Don't forget to check that you have medical insurance for when you arrive and what the coverage is if you're going to get travel insurance.

destone Jun 13th 2020 11:45 pm

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions
 
My wife and I are in the US (L1 + L2 visas – we are both British).

My wife (L2 visa) urgently needs to travel to the UK for family reasons. She would be there for two weeks (compliant with UK quarantine rules).

She would then travel from the UK to Mexico City (via Amsterdam), and spend two weeks there in quarantine in a hotel.

Can she then board a flight from Mexico City back to the US on L2 visa? At that point in time she wouldn't have been present in Europe in the preceding 14 days (her Mexican visa stamp would serve as proof).

petitefrancaise Jun 13th 2020 11:56 pm

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions
 
In other threads on the forum, what you propose has been suggested as a possibility to other posters.

However, a few days ago another poster mentioned further restrictions were being proposed concerning L1/H1b/J1 visa holders. At the time I wasn't convinced but there is enough noise now and enough people recommending that companies get all their L1 etc employees back into the USA asap that I think there might just be something coming next week.
https://www.immigration.net/2020/06/...on-immigrants/

bc2015 Jun 20th 2020 11:04 pm

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions
 

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12864600)
What this lawyer is writing doesn't make sense. If you are currently outside the USA and in EU/UK etc then you CANNOT currently re-enter the US quickly. I'm calling BS on this guy.

Looks like the EO is coming after the rally

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/20/88124...il-end-of-year

petitefrancaise Jun 20th 2020 11:39 pm

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions
 

Originally Posted by bc2015 (Post 12869827)
Looks like the EO is coming after the rally

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/20/88124...il-end-of-year

Yeah, I know there has been a lot of talk about this in the last couple of weeks. Be interesting to see what he does. Well, interesting in a "shit, there goes my work" kind of way.

Tino Jun 20th 2020 11:54 pm

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions
 
I'm so confused. Is the expected EO going to impact those already in the US on L1? I am in the US but due to travel to UK and France in August. I can't tell whether I would currently be allowed back in now, nor after this EO. ​​​​​​​​

petitefrancaise Jun 20th 2020 11:57 pm

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions
 

Originally Posted by Tino (Post 12869839)
I'm so confused. Is the expected EO going to impact those already in the US on L1? I am in the US but due to travel to UK and France in August. I can't tell whether I would currently be allowed back in now, nor after this EO. ​

no-one knows right now.
All I can tell you is that companies have been advised to get current employees on those visas back into the country before this weekend.
And in any case as the current restrictions stand, you wouldn't be able to do that business trip to the UK and France and come straight back to the USA. Not sure why you planned that trip just yet.

Tino Jun 21st 2020 12:02 am

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions
 

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12869840)
no-one knows right now.
All I can tell you is that companies have been advised to get current employees on those visas back into the country before this weekend.
And in any case as the current restrictions stand, you wouldn't be able to do that business trip to the UK and France and come straight back to the USA. Not sure why you planned that trip just yet.

Without the 'new' EO, would I be allowed back in today?

petitefrancaise Jun 21st 2020 12:08 am

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions
 

Originally Posted by Tino (Post 12869842)
Without the 'new' EO, would I be allowed back in today?

you would NOT be allowed back in if you had been in the EU schengen/UK in the previous 14 days unless you were USC or spouse/kids and I think you're on L1?
This has been in place for months.

Also, I don't think you are allowed into france right now unless you have rights of residency.

Tino Jun 21st 2020 12:20 am

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions
 

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise (Post 12869844)
you would NOT be allowed back in if you had been in the EU schengen/UK in the previous 14 days unless you were USC or spouse/kids and I think you're on L1?
This has been in place for months.

Also, I don't think you are allowed into france right now unless you have rights of residency.

Wow, I don't know how I misunderstood this till now. Contacts of my wife have been to France and back during this time but I assume this must have PR or GC.

My wife is French and they have reopened the border to some degree so getting in would be OK.

Damn. Can only hope then within the coming weeks before due to travel things may change :(

Thanks for the info.

*edit* they were on a G4 visa which is exempt.

petitefrancaise Jun 21st 2020 12:27 am

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions
 

Originally Posted by Tino (Post 12869849)
Wow, I don't know how I misunderstood this till now. Contacts of my wife have been to France and back during this time but I assume this must have PR or GC.

My wife is French and they have reopened the border to some degree so getting in would be OK.

Damn. Can only hope then within the coming weeks before due to travel things may change :(

Thanks for the info.

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/int...1580226297.htm


Tino Jun 21st 2020 12:32 am

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions
 
Although what I don't understand is how people on these visas outside the US are being advised to return to US before this weekend if they haven't been able to enter anyway?

postbox134 Jun 21st 2020 1:34 am

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions
 
Still possible if you have the means, isolate in somewhere that isn't restricted from the US for a couple of weeks beforehand. Right now it seems to be so critical that's it's somewhat 'now or never' (or several months) so anyone able to do so should return via whatever means regardless of the cost or effort. Could well be too late (also bear in mind this is general advice from immigration lawyers and not UK/EU specific).


All times are GMT. The time now is 6:17 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.