British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/covid-19-travel-immigration-usa-please-check-here-ask-questions-932378/)

destone Nov 26th 2021 7:34 pm

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

The lift of the ban may very well turn out to be short-lived given the new variant “Omicron”.

postbox134 Nov 26th 2021 8:14 pm

I really, really hope not. It's only 1 week until I return to the UK for Christmas for the first time since 2019!

fiona stanfield Nov 27th 2021 5:27 am

Thank you so much for all your information. It has helped a lot.

fiona stanfield Nov 27th 2021 5:37 am

Where would I find the passenger locator form? Thank you in advance.

robin1234 Nov 27th 2021 7:42 am

Originally Posted by fiona stanfield (Post 13076224)
Where would I find the passenger locator form? Thank you in advance.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/passenge...m-how-to-guide

You create an account for yourself in the passenger locator system (you can do this anytime.) Then, when you are ready to fill in the form, log in and follow the prompts. I’m looking at my passenger locator form that I created a day or two before flying to Heathrow on Oct 8. It is basically your name, contact information, flight information, and (importantly) day 2 test package booking reference.

Dean11 Dec 6th 2021 5:50 pm

I'm a US/UK dual national, vaccinated, looking to travel to the UK soon as my Mum is very ill.

I have a question about the testing requirements prior to boarding a flight to the UK, and also returning to the USA. In the event I was to test positive and cannot board my flight I'm assuming I would lose the cost of my flight ticket? Are there any reputable insurance companies that would cover this scenario and refund you the cost of the flight? Anyone got experience they can share? Thanks.

Mercury39 Dec 6th 2021 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by Dean11 (Post 13079077)
I'm a US/UK dual national, vaccinated, looking to travel to the UK soon as my Mum is very ill.

I have a question about the testing requirements prior to boarding a flight to the UK, and also returning to the USA. In the event I was to test positive and cannot board my flight I'm assuming I would lose the cost of my flight ticket? Are there any reputable insurance companies that would cover this scenario and refund you the cost of the flight? Anyone got experience they can share? Thanks.

I think most airlines don’t have any change fees at the moment, so can move a flight without penalty. I’ve booked and moved multiple flights in the last year, even a few days before a planned trip.

tht Dec 6th 2021 6:25 pm

that depends on what type of ticket and what airline it’s with. I believe some are also waiving change fees with CV19. UA as an example below:

https://www.united.com/en/us/fly/covid-update.html

I would check carefully and base your choice on that and it being a direct flight on an airline with multiple flights a day on that route to minimize issues.

Jerseygirl Dec 6th 2021 9:19 pm

I am sorry to hear about your mum. Having a seriously ill parent is dreadful at the best of time but it Covidtimes I can’t imagine the added stress. :fingerscrossed: you will get to see her and get back without too much hassle. I wish your mum all the very best. Good luck.

Dean11 Dec 6th 2021 11:21 pm

Thanks for the replies. It's good to know some airlines are offering the option to cancel and rebook later, that's one less thing to worry about. I'll make sure to contact airlines first before booking any flights so I'm certain of their cancellation policies.

robtuck Dec 7th 2021 12:02 pm

I am flying in two weeks with Delta and they are offering the option to cancel and convert to a credit, allowing you to re-book later. With the ever changing landscape they've decided to become best e-mail friends with me, almost a daily update being sent and reminding me I can re-book.

Dean11 Dec 7th 2021 2:41 pm

Is it best to purchase a particular type of ticket that allows the flexibility to cancel if needed due to positive Covid test? I'm guessing that something like Basic Economy would be too restrictive. I know American and Delta have a Main Cabin class ticket. Would that suffice? I'm not sure what the United Airlines equivalent is.

I did check with the airlines this morning. United said Basic Economy was not refundable, Delta seemed to imply any ticket was refundable, American said to check the small print before booking which was a bit vague! Therefore I'd be interested to know what ticket types people are buying these days that would credit me the flight if I could not board and had to cancel.

Glasgow Girl Dec 7th 2021 3:30 pm

British Airways probably has the best policy for transatlantic travel. They partner with American so you can fly from anywhere in the US on AA to a British Airlines gateway and pick up the transatlantic flight from there. So long as your flights are marketed with a BA flight number then they will allow you to cancel or change your flights with no change fee, although you would have to pay any difference if the fare on your new dates is higher than the original (you get a credit if it is lower). If you do cancel you will get a voucher for the amount paid, and you can use that up until the end of September 2023.

I believe you can even use the vouchers for domestic AA flights, so long as they are marketed with a BA flight number. You should book on the BA.com site to ensure that. Do not go through a travel agent, that just complicated things.

Dean11 Dec 7th 2021 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl (Post 13079336)
British Airways probably has the best policy for transatlantic travel. They partner with American so you can fly from anywhere in the US on AA to a British Airlines gateway and pick up the transatlantic flight from there. So long as your flights are marketed with a BA flight number then they will allow you to cancel or change your flights with no change fee, although you would have to pay any difference if the fare on your new dates is higher than the original (you get a credit if it is lower). If you do cancel you will get a voucher for the amount paid, and you can use that up until the end of September 2023.

I believe you can even use the vouchers for domestic AA flights, so long as they are marketed with a BA flight number. You should book on the BA.com site to ensure that. Do not go through a travel agent, that just complicated things.

Thanks. I'd completely forgot about British Airways, I will check them too.