British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/covid-19-travel-immigration-usa-please-check-here-ask-questions-932378/)

karenkaren1 Apr 20th 2021 7:09 pm

Re: Covid 19 Travel/Immigration to USA - please check here and ask questions

Originally Posted by kateinbrooklyn (Post 12997380)
Hi - this question is on behalf of a neighbor and wondering if anyone has any advice for her. I can find information on how to enter the USA with a certificate attesting to prior infection, but not how to enter the UK.

Looking for advice - my sister and her husband had covid in late March, they have quarantined and are symtom-free. It’s our understanding that after covid you can still test positive for up to 90 days, but are not supposed to be contagious. they’re supposed to fly home to London tomorrow (booked before they had covid). They tested positive yesterday. The airline isn’t giving them any advice and they can’t reach anyone at the British consulate. Has anyone else experienced something like this? Obviously they want to do what’s safest for all.

Simple, they won't be flying anywhere until test negative. Those PCR tests have been criticized for being used as diagnostic tools when they pick up molecular old inactive virus particles from healthy people. No advice to give

destone Apr 21st 2021 2:53 am

A doctor's note explaining recovery should suffice. Do call the British Embassy though prior to heading to the airport.

rushie10 Apr 26th 2021 2:12 pm

I'm awaiting my visa so that I can enter the States and become a permanent resident. Currently living in the UK with an American spouse and kids. I'm at the end of the process and have my appt at the embassy this week. Q1. Are we allowed to travel as soon as I get my passport back?

Q2. I know we all need covid tests within 3 days of departure, do you know what types are accepted? The Heathrow website says they provide PCR, rapid antigen, and LAMP - are all of these acceptable for entry to the US?

Thanks.

destone Apr 26th 2021 4:48 pm

Originally Posted by rushie10 (Post 12999418)
I'm awaiting my visa so that I can enter the States and become a permanent resident. Currently living in the UK with an American spouse and kids. I'm at the end of the process and have my appt at the embassy this week. Q1. Are we allowed to travel as soon as I get my passport back?

Q2. I know we all need covid tests within 3 days of departure, do you know what types are accepted? The Heathrow website says they provide PCR, rapid antigen, and LAMP - are all of these acceptable for entry to the US?

Thanks.

Q1: Yes, make sure to carry proof of marriage to the airport. And do not check in online.

Q2: I suggest either LAMP or PCR. Generally LAMP offers 4h turnaround time. Some locations offer 24h turnaround time for PCR. Check out https://www.expresstest.co.uk or https://www.collinsongroup.com/en/covid-19-testing. I had positive experience with both providers.

rushie10 Apr 26th 2021 7:20 pm

Re. Tests: I called united airlines and they said an antigen test would also be fine, so i booked our family in with Collinson Airport Testing at Heathrow. On the Heathrow website it said the tests have a 45m turnaround, we're taking them the night before we travel.

Thoughts or experiences on this?

Thanks.

destone Apr 26th 2021 10:57 pm

Originally Posted by rushie10 (Post 12999559)
Re. Tests: I called united airlines and they said an antigen test would also be fine, so i booked our family in with Collinson Airport Testing at Heathrow. On the Heathrow website it said the tests have a 45m turnaround, we're taking them the night before we travel.

Thoughts or experiences on this?

Thanks.

Go for it. I normally do the LAMP test the day before or PCR two days before. I don't trust rapid tests.

Revin Kevin Apr 27th 2021 9:15 am

Anyone know if a vaccinated Canadian PR can currenty fly into the US from the UK.

scrubbedexpat099 Apr 27th 2021 11:41 am

Originally Posted by Revin Kevin (Post 12999758)
Anyone know if a vaccinated Canadian PR can currenty fly into the US from the UK.

If they qualify for an exception yes.

Accarano May 3rd 2021 7:56 am

Good morning!

I hope this is the right thread.

Has anyone in this forum managed to travel direct from UK to USA with a National Interest Exemption on an L2 visa during the current travel ban? What was the process?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: My proposed date of travel is more than 30 days so I cannot contact the embassy yet for this request.

destone May 3rd 2021 3:01 pm

Originally Posted by Accarano (Post 13001700)
Good morning!

I hope this is the right thread.

Has anyone in this forum managed to travel direct from UK to USA with a National Interest Exemption on an L2 visa during the current travel ban? What was the process?

Thanks in advance!

EDIT: My proposed date of travel is more than 30 days so I cannot contact the embassy yet for this request.

I assume your visa is already issued.

Please check here FAQ 1.6:
https://uk.usembassy.gov/visas/u-s-v...d-travel-faqs/

Ideally, the primary L1 holder would apply and indicate that you're a travel companion.

Should the NIE fail, you can always travel to the US via Mexico (14 days).

Accarano May 3rd 2021 3:03 pm

Thank you. The l1 holder is already in USA so I was wondering if anyone has independently got a National Interest Exemption for themselves as an L2 visa holder and were willing to share their experience.
​​​

karenkaren1 May 3rd 2021 8:11 pm

hi, I am also thinking of going back to the UK for a visit. My husband is the primary L1 holder, he has a company here which employs Americans - would that qualify him for a national interest waiver to come back? and me and the kids as his dependents?
thanks

scrubbedexpat099 May 3rd 2021 10:37 pm

Originally Posted by karenkaren1 (Post 13001997)
hi, I am also thinking of going back to the UK for a visit. My husband is the primary L1 holder, he has a company here which employs Americans - would that qualify him for a national interest waiver to come back? and me and the kids as his dependents?
thanks

is he going?

destone May 3rd 2021 11:30 pm

Accarano & Karenkaren1 -- Since (3 March 2021) the Biden administration narrowed down who qualifies for NIE I don't have confidence that you will be able to secure an NIE on your own as L2 without the L1 traveling with you. You have nothing to lose to try though. If you get denied, you can travel back via Mexico. As for the L1 holder what seems to matter now is the industry and not the seniority (i.e. job creation).

karenkaren1 May 4th 2021 12:13 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 13002033)
is he going?

undecided..... but if we cant get back into USA then non of us will be going. I dont want the expense or time off work for 2 extra weeks in Mexico or wherever.