Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Are county hospitals free in USA?? Anyone know about it???

Are county hospitals free in USA?? Anyone know about it???

Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

AlexanderAshok is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Are county hospitals free in USA?? Anyone know about it???

Hi all,

Its going to be 3 months that I have moved from UK to USA. I am just wondering whether the County hospitals are free of charge in USA..

I am missing UK because the medical facility is totally free there when compared to the US. One of my friend said that county hospitals are free of charge in US. Just wanted to make sure, before I go there and they charge me $ 3000 just for a check up.....!!!!!

Let me know if the county hospitals are free and if someone has visited such a facility ????..... My nearest one is Fairfax county hospital which is like 15 miles away and thats the nearest???

Welll, waiting for your replies and will really appreciate your contribution.

Regards,

-Alex
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:05 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are county hospitals free in USA?? Anyone know about it???

I think it depends on where you live and all that...our local hosiptal isnt' free, well not really... you do get a lowered rate if your really poor, but the requirements to get it, or the free care are almost impossible for anyone to count on it being free.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

tony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond reputetony126 has a reputation beyond repute

My local hospital is known as a County Medical Centre and I can assure you it ain,t free.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:15 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

So how much would I be charged if I go to hospital if I have minor fever or cough or some emergency like cut in the hand or things like that.....??

In UK, its totally free... you dont have to pay anything, as you guys all know...

but these county hospitals are government run, isnt that so?? so why do they charge, when we are paying the taxes and everything???

Let me know about it.

Regards,

-Alex
Originally Posted by tony126
My local hospital is known as a County Medical Centre and I can assure you it ain,t free.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AlexanderAshok
Hi,

So how much would I be charged if I go to hospital if I have minor fever or cough or some emergency like cut in the hand or things like that.....??

In UK, its totally free... you dont have to pay anything, as you guys all know...

but these county hospitals are government run, isnt that so?? so why do they charge, when we are paying the taxes and everything???

Let me know about it.

Regards,

-Alex
Totally different medical system over here - UK is almost unique in the way it operates despite its weaknesses. It is very risky being in this country without some kind of medical insurance - i would advise you get some, or dont get ill or have an accident!!!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:34 pm
Forum Regular

Hi,

Its not that I wanted something for free.... And my company is providing me with a insurance which covers full, even eyes and dental.. I just wanted to know what are the kind of charges the US hospital charge, for example, if you are not feeling well and wanted to go for a blood check up, what will be the cost, do I just need to show my insurance card or will I be charged even after having a insurance.????

Also, one of my friend who visited US from London had insurance and he met with a accident... He was treated and after 15 days, he received a bill from hospital asking to pay $ 1800 for just normal bandages and emergency ambulance to come and pick him up from the accident spot...

Thats what is worrying me... Please give me some brief infromation like how much would I be paying if at all I ever wanted to visit a hospital. Do I need to have my credit card or insurance card or both????

Let me know about it guys.. Long live UK.

Thanks & Regards,

-Alexander Ashok

Originally Posted by Big D
Totally different medical system over here - UK is almost unique in the way it operates despite its weaknesses. It is very risky being in this country without some kind of medical insurance - i would advise you get some, or dont get ill or have an accident!!!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:36 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

AmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond reputeAmerLisa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Its going to be 3 months that I have moved from UK to USA. I am just wondering whether the County hospitals are free of charge in USA..

I am missing UK because the medical facility is totally free there when compared to the US. One of my friend said that county hospitals are free of charge in US. Just wanted to make sure, before I go there and they charge me $ 3000 just for a check up.....!!!!!

Let me know if the county hospitals are free and if someone has visited such a facility ????..... My nearest one is Fairfax county hospital which is like 15 miles away and thats the nearest???

Regards,

-Alex

There is no free hospital in the US. Unless your dirt poor.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Its not that I wanted something for free.... And my company is providing me with a insurance which covers full, even eyes and dental.. I just wanted to know what are the kind of charges the US hospital charge, for example, if you are not feeling well and wanted to go for a blood check up, what will be the cost, do I just need to show my insurance card or will I be charged even after having a insurance.????

Also, one of my friend who visited US from London had insurance and he met with a accident... He was treated and after 15 days, he received a bill from hospital asking to pay $ 1800 for just normal bandages and emergency ambulance to come and pick him up from the accident spot...

Thats what is worrying me... Please give me some brief infromation like how much would I be paying if at all I ever wanted to visit a hospital. Do I need to have my credit card or insurance card or both????

Let me know about it guys.. Long live UK.

Thanks & Regards,

-Alexander Ashok

Depends on your insurance - but show your card and it will be taken care of, although you will probably have to pay a deductable mine in $10 - you have to pay the first so much. If your friend had insurance he should be able to claim back the $1800 or get the insurance to pay direct
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:48 pm
Forum Regular

aznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond reputeaznewsh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Depends on your insurance - but show your card and it will be taken care of, although you will probably have to pay a deductable mine in $10 - you have to pay the first so much. If your friend had insurance he should be able to claim back the $1800 or get the insurance to pay direct
Like he said
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:50 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

I just wanted to know what are the kind of charges the US hospital charge, for example, if you are not feeling well and wanted to go for a blood check up, what will be the cost, do I just need to show my insurance card or will I be charged even after having a insurance.????

-Alexander Ashok
you're really being too vague...prices vary widely, insurance coverage also....I mean I can't seriously see how you are going to get the answers you want without giving specifics.....you probably need to look online.......if your company has you under a specific insurance plan then there will be a list of hospitals/doctors you can see ....you can go from there.........
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Regards,

-Alex
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:52 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Are county hospitals free in USA?? Anyone know about it???

Hi,

You say above that your employer is covering you in full. OK, that means they'll pay 100% of the charges relating to medical and dental (according to what you wrote). Only you know whether this statement is really true. Read your medical and dental providers policy. I imagine it's online. You have a member ID number of some sort that will give you access to your exact benefits, including the percentage that you may have to pay for any treatment.

Your friend's experience is likely to be quite different to that of yours, should you go to the ER or when you have treatment. The reason? He was in the US as a visitor and you're a resident (because you're working legally in the US).

If you've been living in the US for any length of time, you should've realized by now that nothing is free. You'd be less worried if you read about your cover from your medical provider. Nobody but you can access that. Even if other members on BE have cover with the same provider (e.g. BCBS, CIGNA, etc.), the cover and cost of treatment for the employee has probably been negotiated between employer and medical plan provider so no two plans are alike (except for employees in the same company).

NC Penguin
Old Nov 8th 2005, 10:57 pm
Forum Regular

Well, guys there is nothing to laugh... I am new to USA and you know when you are new to a country, you got all kind of questions running in your mind to ask. Its been just 2 months and three weeks and not even 3 months to US...

I will be ok as time goes.

Thanks and Regards,

-Alexander Ashok

Originally Posted by psb182
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:02 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

there not government run hospitals like in the UK, county hospitals are run by the county...and the medical insurance will depend on how much you pay, you might have a co-pay and have to meet the deductible first...which for us come the new year would be 5K before the insurance paid...and you'll be charged for everything, bandages, asperin, the works, and it'll cost a hell of a lot...
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:02 pm
Forum Regular

limeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud oflimeynus has much to be proud of

Well, guys there is nothing to laugh... I am new to USA and you know when you are new to a country, you got all kind of questions running in your mind to ask. Its been just 2 months and three weeks and not even 3 months to US...

I will be ok as time goes.

Thanks and Regards,

-Alexander Ashok
You could talk to the medical plan administrator at your place of employment, they should be able to give you a summary of what is covered. Also, when you've been enrolled for medical coverage, you should receive a "welcome" package from your provider, this too will detail what's covered and what's not and what co-pays etc you will be responsible for!

HTH

Dawn

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.