British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Cost of living Florida (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cost-living-florida-758839/)

Ray May 21st 2012 3:05 am

Re: Cost of living Florida

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday (Post 10072877)
living on 7 bucks a day for food..........

squirrel is free

scrubbedexpat099 May 21st 2012 3:47 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 10073072)
squirrel is free

I have major Gopher problem and my attack dog does not seem up to the issue any longer, any recommendations?

Quite a few rabbits as well, one of them nearly lapped her.

I was thinking of a high velocity air gun?

Ray May 21st 2012 4:40 am

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10073095)
I have major Gopher problem and my attack dog does not seem up to the issue any longer, any recommendations?

Quite a few rabbits as well, one of them nearly lapped her.

I was thinking of a high velocity air gun?

http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...ducts_id/70280

for more impact
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/p...%22+8rnd+CB+PG

christmasoompa May 21st 2012 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by goldenstate31 (Post 10072514)
Wow! :ohmy: dont be offended but you guys must be eating beans on toast if your feeding a family of 4 for £90.00!?
what supermarket are you shopping at? :p

I feed a family of four (plus 2 cats and a dog) for about that amount each week, and we certainly don't eat beans on toast!

:)

goldenstate31 May 21st 2012 4:30 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10074074)
I feed a family of four (plus 2 cats and a dog) for about that amount each week, and we certainly don't eat beans on toast!

Ok then we just must be 'big eaters':o

£90.00 a week wouldnt even cover our fridge food:eek:

christmasoompa May 21st 2012 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by goldenstate31 (Post 10074080)

I've got a husband with the appetite of a horse, and a daughter that loves things like smoked salmon, fresh olives and chorizo and also eats a huge amount (my son is more fussy and eats a bit less - for now anyway!).

Everything I cook is fresh though, I don't buy any convenience food which is much more expensive, and I do only shop at Tescos rather than Waitrose! £100 a week or less is our usual.

I wonder if you were in London or a more expensive part of the UK too? Your gas/elec bill quoted above seemed incredibly high to me too, so perhaps the area makes a difference.

Flabound oneday May 21st 2012 5:11 pm

well I will join you in the 'big eater' category.
our dog food alone for 2 mutts is 10 a week. I just couldnt see us making do on another 80-90

scrubbedexpat099 May 21st 2012 5:22 pm

The Dog had been out all day, when she came back she took a bit of prime rib scrap but was not interested in her bowl. Most unusual so she must have done very well elsewhere.

Steve_ May 21st 2012 5:34 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 10072098)
You go first... otherwise it's a complete waste of time!

Ian

More relevantly, the question is impossible to answer without knowing that, because the principal form for taxation in Florida is property tax, and only US citizens or LPRs can get the homestead exemption. If you can't get the homestead exemption, your cost of living will be significantly higher.

Steve_ May 21st 2012 5:36 pm

Retiring to the US from the UK (I'm assuming) isn't a bright move because you won't qualify for Medicare, not having worked in the US. Even if you are a US citizen. Unless of course you're minted but it doesn't sound as though you are.

christmasoompa May 21st 2012 5:37 pm

Originally Posted by Flabound oneday (Post 10074142)
our dog food alone for 2 mutts is 10 a week.

:eek: Blimey that's a lot. We get a huge 15kg bag for £9.50, and that does ours for about a month.

Jerseygirl May 21st 2012 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10074184)
:eek: Blimey that's a lot. We get a huge 15kg bag for £9.50, and that does ours for about a month.

That would feed my little dog for about 5 years. :D

rebs May 21st 2012 5:44 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10074184)

What dog food do you get for that price? Even Bakers complete (yuck!) is £10 for a bag half that size...

We pay about £25 - £30 for a 15kg bag and we don't feed a premium food...

Mummy in the foothills May 21st 2012 5:46 pm

Us too, I spend about $200 a week on food, two adults one teen and one 7 year old. That includes cleaning stuff and paper products.
Here we have low electric bills in winter about $59 each month then in summer it can go up to about $200 a month, water is about $70 a month with no landscaping to water, we have a field and cut it short, trees are on drippers up front and the washing machine waters the back trees.
Gas is $40 a month, heat, hot water and cooking, we have a year round budget plan.
Car gas I use about $50 a week and Dh uses about $80+ a week.
Car ins $148 a month
House ins is in the mortgage payment $800 a year.
Property taxes $1700 a year.
Internet and land line phone bundle $100 a month, thats the only one available in our area.
Cell phones PAYG so varies.

Ray May 21st 2012 6:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10074189)
That would feed my little dog for about 5 years. :D

About the same as Sanchez costs

Flabound oneday May 21st 2012 6:12 pm

we buy Diamond Natural which is a premium brand a 40 pound bag is 30 dollars and lasts around 3 weeks 2 dogs 2 meals a day. Plus in the evening they share a can of dog food or tuna. the boy is 125lb and our 'little' lady pit weighs in at 65. neither are fat but Mrs FB insists thye have good food...in fact I think I would be first to get the crap if it was needed \!!

Both Worlds May 21st 2012 6:36 pm

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10074182)
Retiring to the US from the UK (I'm assuming) isn't a bright move because you won't qualify for Medicare, not having worked in the US. Even if you are a US citizen. Unless of course you're minted but it doesn't sound as though you are.

So I would presume health insurance for 6 months? Costs anyone? cheerrs

Both Worlds May 21st 2012 6:38 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10074118)
I've got a husband with the appetite of a horse, and a daughter that loves things like smoked salmon, fresh olives and chorizo and also eats a huge amount (my son is more fussy and eats a bit less - for now anyway!).

Everything I cook is fresh though, I don't buy any convenience food which is much more expensive, and I do only shop at Tescos rather than Waitrose! £100 a week or less is our usual.

I wonder if you were in London or a more expensive part of the UK too? Your gas/elec bill quoted above seemed incredibly high to me too, so perhaps the area makes a difference.

Leighton Buzzard-its about right-Home counties...

Both Worlds May 21st 2012 6:41 pm

US or UK? I can post my shopping list if any one wants..:cool:.

Jerseygirl May 21st 2012 6:43 pm

Originally Posted by Both Worlds (Post 10074274)
So I would presume health insurance for 6 months? Costs anyone? cheerrs

That will depend on age/health etc. You can go online and get a quote from travel insurance companies. I'm not sure whether you can even get 6 mths travel insurance.

Both Worlds May 21st 2012 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 10074287)
That will depend on age/health etc. You can go online and get a quote from travel insurance companies. I'm not sure whether you can even get 6 mths travel insurance.

I see travel insurance, never thought of that-If i could stay for 6 months that would do it as the US has an agreement with australia where we will draw the pension from which will be $ 582.63 US a week.:starsmile:

Sally Redux May 21st 2012 6:55 pm

Originally Posted by Both Worlds (Post 10074300)
I see travel insurance, never thought of that-If i could stay for 6 months that would do it as the US has an agreement with australia where we will draw the pension from which will be $ 582.63 US a week.:starsmile:

You seem to be reading rather selectively.

goldenstate31 May 21st 2012 7:31 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10074118)

hmm:confused:
I shop (online) at Sainsburys just because I cant stand wheeling that bloody trolley up and down the aisles at the weekend:ohmy: but its still around £150.00 ish plus a week. (I'm veggie well one of those annoying still eat fish vegetarians! so I know the smoked salmon thing!(especially on bagels:p), my baby Milk (aptamil is 10.00 and a pack of nappies is 10.00 theres 20 pound on two items)
so thats possibly the added expense?:)

Both Worlds May 21st 2012 7:39 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux (Post 10074307)
You seem to be reading rather selectively.

OK- health costs seems to be a problem then-any idea roughly to add to costs-Its not looking that good....at this stage:(

Jerseygirl May 21st 2012 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by Both Worlds (Post 10074360)
OK- health costs seems to be a problem then-any idea roughly to add to costs-Its not looking that good....at this stage:(

That's like asking the question...how long is a piece of string. Have you tried getting online quotes as I suggested?

scrubbedexpat099 May 21st 2012 8:03 pm

I get IAMS, around the $40 mark for the big Blue Bag.

Because she seems to so well out on her travels I just feed her one scoop a day. So a big bag last for quite a few months.

Somebody was swearing the other day about some Canadian dog food very good for the coat?

scrubbedexpat099 May 21st 2012 8:23 pm

I do like the Mosseburg, had thought of getting one. But not for this purpose.

I have some friends who have a Memorial Day party, bring your gun or borrow one of theirs, BBQ, Beer and who can shoot the most rodents from the deck. But they probably have a 10 mile free fire zone.

I was concerned with a .22 that I could theoretically if you pointed in the right direction with the right elevation lob one on the to the Highway.

So I thought an air rifle would be a safer bet?

Bob May 21st 2012 10:22 pm

Originally Posted by goldenstate31 (Post 10074347)
....my baby Milk (aptamil is 10.00 and a pack of nappies is 10.00 theres 20 pound on two items)

When we had to get the premie formula, that was $15 for a 3 day supply of powder, but the regular stuff was about $20 a week, but at BJ's you could get own brand knock off for the same money but almost 2.5x the size.

Nappies, at BJ's, getting Pampers, it's $50 for about 200 on deal at the moment, but the cruisers and the like are $40 for 115 nappies.

Bob May 21st 2012 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10074410)

I have some friends who have a Memorial Day party, bring your gun or borrow one of theirs, BBQ, Beer and who can shoot the most rodents from the deck. But they probably have a 10 mile free fire zone.

Guns and alcohol sounds like a winning combination :D

But other wise, sounds like a fun party! :)

Ray May 22nd 2012 4:15 am

I do like the Mosseburg, had thought of getting one. But not for this purpose.

I was concerned with a .22 that I could theoretically if you pointed in the right direction with the right elevation lob one on the to the Highway.

both are top notch ...air rifles are for the children

RICH May 22nd 2012 4:28 am

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 10074934)
both are top notch ...air rifles are for the children

How much squirrel meat do you get if you hit them with the shotgun!!

Ray May 22nd 2012 5:06 am

Originally Posted by RICH (Post 10074945)
How much squirrel meat do you get if you hit them with the shotgun!!

shotguns are for snake head removal ..the .22 is for squirrels

christmasoompa May 22nd 2012 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by rebs (Post 10074198)
What dog food do you get for that price? Even Bakers complete (yuck!) is £10 for a bag half that size...

We pay about £25 - £30 for a 15kg bag and we don't feed a premium food...

We buy Dr. Johns Gold - http://www.gilpa.co.uk/product.php?shopprodid=6

We do get it from the farmer next door so pay cost price, but it's still only £10.99 for 15kg in the shops.

Originally Posted by goldenstate31 (Post 10074347)
I shop (online) at Sainsburys just because I cant stand wheeling that bloody trolley up and down the aisles at the weekend:ohmy: but its still around £150.00 ish plus a week. (I'm veggie well one of those annoying still eat fish vegetarians! so I know the smoked salmon thing!(especially on bagels:p), my baby Milk (aptamil is 10.00 and a pack of nappies is 10.00 theres 20 pound on two items)

Could well be. We also don't drink a huge amount of alcohol, which I suspect means our shopping costs a lot less than most peoples! But I do budget very carefully as well, and do lots of 'family meals for a fiver' type recipes.

Both Worlds May 22nd 2012 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 10075989)
We buy Dr. Johns Gold - http://www.gilpa.co.uk/product.php?shopprodid=6

We do get it from the farmer next door so pay cost price, but it's still only £10.99 for 15kg in the shops.

Could well be. We also don't drink a huge amount of alcohol, which I suspect means our shopping costs a lot less than most peoples! But I do budget very carefully as well, and do lots of 'family meals for a fiver' type recipes.

well done! we shop at Iceland and Aldi and spent around £70 today...:cool:

kimilseung May 22nd 2012 7:32 pm

Is it really beer, proper beer? Whenever I have been to anything even remotely red-neckish. beer was always at a premium. Good thing is they do not want to drink the stuff we bring. I still do not understand why.

Both Worlds May 22nd 2012 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung (Post 10076301)
Is it really beer, proper beer? Whenever I have been to anything even remotely red-neckish. beer was always at a premium. Good thing is they do not want to drink the stuff we bring. I still do not understand why.

I dont want to appear mean but America seems a bit violent with the idea of guns? :blink:I do remember mums friends keeping a gun in the house in Torence (spelling) southern California-I do know the right to bare arms and all but this is a bit of a worry and is not part of UK or australian culture-all things need consideration-Must write to my sister about the naturalization (forgot)

scrubbedexpat099 May 22nd 2012 10:02 pm

Bare Arms, probably your concern would be sun burn.

Both Worlds May 22nd 2012 10:13 pm

Originally Posted by Boiler (Post 10076535)
Bare Arms, probably your concern would be sun burn.

or a good cave?:thumbup:

Steve_ May 27th 2012 11:25 pm

What range are you shooting at exactly?

Shotguns are no good on gophers, you can't get close enough imx. .22LR if you're within 50 yards, .222 or .223 if you're further than that.

If you're in an urban area the old trick used to be to use a .22 short because it makes less noise and has less energy but it's tough to get a decent .22 short nowadays.

High power air rifle would be an idea, not easy to get in the US though, gun stores rarely stock decent air rifles and a Daisy air rifle is pretty crap.

scrubbedexpat099 May 28th 2012 4:31 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ (Post 10085443)
What range are you shooting at exactly?

Shotguns are no good on gophers, you can't get close enough imx. .22LR if you're within 50 yards, .222 or .223 if you're further than that.

If you're in an urban area the old trick used to be to use a .22 short because it makes less noise and has less energy but it's tough to get a decent .22 short nowadays.

High power air rifle would be an idea, not easy to get in the US though, gun stores rarely stock decent air rifles and a Daisy air rifle is pretty crap.

There was one cheeky hugger that must have popped up ten feet from the back door.

We also seem inundated with rabbits. Must be the mild weather.

The main road out the back must be a mile away. I have recently taken on a young lady who befriended us on Facebook. I noticed she had a photo of her with a pistol. A present from her grandparents. Perhaps I need to delegate.