Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of living Florida

Cost of living Florida

Old May 20th 2012, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Both Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant future
Default Cost of living Florida

OK I am doing around the world best places to retire and Florida could be possible. If you can supply your expenses then I will post my costs here in the UK and the island of Tenerife- to compare if thats OK-
1. gas
2. Electricity
3. Council tax or rates
4. house insurance
5. water costs
6. food
7. car tax/disc
8. internet broadband + phone
9. car insurance
10.petrol

If you can think of anything else thats needs costing-such as prescriptions and health for instance.
Old May 20th 2012, 1:48 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living Florida

Originally Posted by Both Worlds
OK I am doing around the world best places to retire and Florida could be possible. If you can supply your expenses then I will post my costs here in the UK and the island of Tenerife- to compare if thats OK-
1. gas
2. Electricity
3. Council tax or rates
4. house insurance
5. water costs
6. food
7. car tax/disc
8. internet broadband + phone
9. car insurance
10.petrol

If you can think of anything else thats needs costing-such as prescriptions and health for instance.
Question is moot -- only USCs and US PRs can retire to Florida.
Old May 20th 2012, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

How are you planning to retire in FL? There is no visa to do that so you would need some other way in (family sponsorship, investment, buy a business, type of stuff) and that could make quite a big difference in various costs. Health insurance alone could run you $12,000+ a year (the plus could theoretically be double or triple) and depending on the cover and your health you could potentially spend that or more per year in costs.
Old May 20th 2012, 1:54 am
Forum Regular

Both Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant futureBoth Worlds has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by fatbrit
Question is moot -- only USCs and US PRs can retire to Florida.
Yes I understand that-My sister is american but living in australia so I dont know if thats a way to do it-or work 1st then claim greencard etc
Old May 20th 2012, 1:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

c
Yes I understand that-My sister is american but living in australia so I dont know if thats a way to do it-or work 1st then claim greencard etc
In that case it's a no go.

To work in the US you need a visa...here is a list of ways to obtain a one. If you can fit into any of the categories you may be able to get a visa to live and work in the US.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 20th 2012 at 2:00 am.
Old May 20th 2012, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
In that case it's a no go.
what about claim by brother/sibling? Probably 10 years but I thought it was possible plus grew up in California for 8 years and my parents for 9-10 years.
Old May 20th 2012, 2:02 am
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

If your sister is planning to return to the US, she can sponsor you. It'll take a dozen years or so before you get your visa -- it's a long line.

After you arrive a dozen or more years down the line, your first illness will bankrupt you.

As I said, the question is moot.
Old May 20th 2012, 2:02 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

what about claim by brother/sibling? Probably 10 years but I thought it was possible plus grew up in California for 8 years and my parents for 9-10 years.
You are correct but they have to live in the US. The years you and your parents spent in the US don't give you an advantage...unless you were born in the US or naturalised.
Old May 20th 2012, 2:03 am
Septicity

Worth checking you're not already a citizen. Did your parents naturalize?
Old May 20th 2012, 2:07 am
Forum Regular

Worth checking you're not already a citizen. Did your parents naturalize?
You never know I know I was christianed in the "glass church" in California! I will ask.
Old May 20th 2012, 2:23 am
SUPER MODERATOR

You never know I know I was christianed in the "glass church" in California! I will ask.
Your place of birth is what matters.
Old May 20th 2012, 2:24 am
Septicity

Your place of birth is what matters.
If his parents naturalized while he was a child, he may have become a citizen without knowing.
Old May 20th 2012, 2:24 am
SUPER MODERATOR

If his parents naturalized while he was a child, he may have become a citizen without knowing.
True.
Old May 20th 2012, 11:09 am
Forum Regular

True.
I will check.... Meanwhile could people put up there expenses if thats OK-I will then compare to : UK, Tenerife (Spain), Australia and Malaysia.
cheers
Old May 20th 2012, 12:01 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Meanwhile could people put up there expenses if thats OK-I will then compare to : UK, Tenerife (Spain), Australia and Malaysia.
You go first... otherwise it's a complete waste of time!

Ian

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.