Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost of flights to US

Cost of flights to US

Old Aug 3rd 2007, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

neojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to allneojynx is a name known to all
Question Cost of flights to US

I am looking for flight as we are moving to the US on an L1 / L2 visa

They have single flights but the return is cheaper.

Do you know if you take a return but dont use it, if they hit with the difference... im only asking cos I used to do this when I lived in France, but they eventually sussed it out and started charging the difference.. Also I read that somewhere that you cant enter the US with a 'single' ticket if ur not a US citizen. I guess with an L1 visa that may not apply, but I want to be sure.

regards

- G
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

keira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond reputekeira-2007 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of flights to US

Originally Posted by neojynx

Do you know if you take a return but dont use it, if they hit with the difference... im only asking cos I used to do this when I lived in France, but they eventually sussed it out and started charging the difference.. Also I read that somewhere that you cant enter the US with a 'single' ticket if ur not a US citizen. I guess with an L1 visa that may not apply, but I want to be sure.

regards

- G
Not 100% sure but can't you defer the return flight to a later date and use it later on in the year if you wish to return (coz you hate it so much!!) Or more likely just to visit family?
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 10:36 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there...welcome to the forum.

Try doing a forum search using the search function at the top of the page. This subject has been covered extensively recently.

You will be able to enter the US using a one way ticket if you have a visa. It is usually cheaper to buy a return ticket...even though you won't be using the return flight. Failing that you could by a return ticket and try to cash it in.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:53 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Do you know if you take a return but dont use it, if they hit with the difference...
You mean they'll try to charge you for the difference between the return and the more expensive single? Ain't gonna happen.
Old Aug 3rd 2007, 11:57 pm

Pony is an unknown quantity at this point

I have used several flights one way, but booked return for the cheaper fare.
I cannot see how they could charge you for not using the return leg of your flight.

regards

- G
Old Aug 4th 2007, 12:42 am
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

regards

- G
They dont charge and you can enter US on a one way ticket with no problems if you have a visa.

If you get a flexible ticket then you can come back at some future date but thats usually more expensive again
Old Aug 7th 2007, 6:40 pm
Forum Regular

Dodgykeeps will become famous soon enoughDodgykeeps will become famous soon enough

Hi.

I've just been having the same problem. I'm flying out next month and I found that by flying via Dublin, it only ended up costing £300. The missus and kids are following in October and they're going via Toronto! Both were cheaper than return flights.
Mind you, it took a while to find these deals (Orbitz.com is pretty good to get some comparisons) so best thing to do is look around and don't necessarily go the obvious route!

Cheers

Paul
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:20 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

No problem in using a return for a single flight ...in most cases ..its also a good idea to call the airline a week befor the return and tell them you won't be on it...
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

regards

- G
I think with L visas you are meant to show a return i.e. your intent to go back to the UK.
However you can defo defer your return part. OH does this all the time with his flights to Amsterdam / UK / Germany / Switzerland. You just keep changing the date of the return bit if it comes around and you arent using it.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Adnams
I think with L visas you are meant to show a return i.e. your intent to go back to the UK.
However you can defo defer your return part. OH does this all the time with his flights to Amsterdam / UK / Germany / Switzerland. You just keep changing the date of the return bit if it comes around and you arent using it.
No you don't have to show intent to go back to the UK with an L visa.

Depends what type of tickets are purchased...some you can't change dates...some they charge you. The cheaper the ticket price the harder they hold you to the dates. ie if you purchase a full price ticket it's easy to change date.
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:34 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

But the El cheapo ticket dont allow that ...
Ok on business and full price fares though
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
But the El cheapo ticket dont allow that ...
Ok on business and full price fares though
But he's an L1 dont they always fly business class???
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:38 pm
Ray

But there is L-1A and L-1B ....

and the dubious ones ...
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:47 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

not if you've got to stump for the ticket yourself or your just a skilled lacky and not upper management...
Old Aug 7th 2007, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Bob
not if you've got to stump for the ticket yourself or your just a skilled lacky and not upper management...
It was a joke Bob!!! But on a serious note if I was an L visa of any category I would expect the company to pay, why should the OP be out of pocket if the company wants to do the transfer? All our relocation costs were paid for and we're the dastardly H1B / 4 b*llocks category

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.