Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

The cost of carrying your green card

The cost of carrying your green card

Old Feb 27th 2011, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

Mick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud of
Default Re: The cost of carrying your green card

Originally Posted by Ray
The Permanent Resident Card, Form I-551, (Green Card) is issued to all Permanent Residents as evidence of alien registration and their permanent status in the US. The card must be in your possession at all times. This requirement means that you are not only required to have a currently valid Form I-551 at all times, but also that you must carry your currently valid Form I-551 on your person at all times. The Permanent Resident Card currently is issued with a 10-year validity. You status as a Permanent Resident does not expire with the 10-year validity. Only the card expires. The card is only valid up to the expiration date and must be renewed before it expires.
Perfect!

I have mine in my wallet now, and have carried it since the day I got it.

My Interview is April the 4th, letter came in the mail yesterday! Then will not need it anymore, I have only ever used it in buying guns.

Otherwise it is just sat on!
Old Feb 27th 2011, 2:34 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

How do people who choose not to carry the GC knowing that they should be doing so answer question (D)15 in Part 10 of the N-400?

"Have you ever committed a crime or offense for which you were not arrested?"
Old Feb 27th 2011, 3:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

discoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond reputediscoviking has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nettlebed
How do people who choose not to carry the GC knowing that they should be doing so answer question (D)15 in Part 10 of the N-400?

I would presume they give a similar answer as someone who has ever removed the tag from their mattress. This would be pure speculation on my part, though.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 3:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by markaspden
Hi i dont like to carry my green card but the law states you must have it with you at all times. Here is what happens when your wallet is stolen.

1. Apart from loosing your money/credit cards.
2. You have to renew your driving license
3. You have to replace your greencard cost $360
4. You have to go through the greencard process again and also you have to have your fingerprint taken again.
All this costs money from time off work to travelling to immigration center plus the waiting time to get your replacement green card between 3 and 6 months.
Next time i will not carry my greencard and if i get stopped will rather take a small fine not quite sure what the fine will be.

Thanks mark
Sorry to hear that you lost your wallet. What a pain. I'm a US citizen now but in the 6 years or so that I had a green card, I never carried it around with me (unless I was travelling in or out of the country).

Last edited by MarylandNed; Feb 27th 2011 at 3:32 pm.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 3:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Good question. Although I can't imagine a single person would say "Yes" simply because they didn't always carry their green card with them (I'm sure many people have also driven and left their driver's license at home). I suspect a lot of GC holders don't even know of the requirement and therefore don't realize that failing to comply is a possible misdemeanor.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 3:55 pm
Forum Regular

Mick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud ofMick1935 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
Good question. Although I can't imagine a single person would say "Yes" simply because they didn't always carry their green card with them (I'm sure many people have also driven and left their driver's license at home). I suspect a lot of GC holders don't even know of the requirement and therefore don't realize that failing to comply is a possible misdemeanor.
Is it true that there are only two kinds of people in the World.

Them that's Irish, and them that wants to be?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 4:29 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by discoviking
I would presume they give a similar answer as someone who has ever removed the tag from their mattress. This would be pure speculation on my part, though.
Or broken the speed limit or parked illegally or..........
Old Feb 27th 2011, 4:50 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

They properly answer no... because not carrying your GC isn't covered under the criminal code. IOW, it's a civil issue, not a criminal one.

Ian
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:01 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
They properly answer no... because not carrying your GC isn't covered under the criminal code. IOW, it's a civil issue, not a criminal one.

Ian
I have been stopped once, by Police, got a ticket. With my semi educated Scouse Accent, no question were I am from.

He needed my Dvr. Lic.-Insurance-Ownership. Sign here, bye.

The 6 year driving Lic. Was good enough I recon.
But I did have my GC handy.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:05 pm
Shocked of Redmond

nettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond reputenettlebed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

Ian
The question talks about offenses, not criminal offenses. Otherwise, why would people worry about traffic violations?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:53 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Out of curiosity, has anyone heard of someone actually being fined for not carrying their greencard?
I used to live in a coastal tourist town in Maine and they did do spot checks a couple of times in the summer. I carried mine on me and was fine, but I know a couple of other people who did get a fine, they were bitching about it in the pub in the evening

The spot checks were mostly set out to catch Canadians though, who'd brought guns over in their boats, good little money earner. Catching Brits was a side product, but then there were so many Brits around, they had a good chance in the first couple of years they started doing it catching folks without their greencards.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Wow I don't know what to do now.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
Wow I don't know what to do now.
In California? You made your mistake moving there, come over To Orlando!

But, case in point, carry the Card!
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

md95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond reputemd95065 has a reputation beyond repute

I would presume they give a similar answer as someone who has ever removed the tag from their mattress.
You do realize that the person who actually purchases the mattress is allowed to remove the stupid tag ...
Old Feb 27th 2011, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

rivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nicerivit is just really nice

I used to carry my GC all the time as a long haul lorry driver. Going into Canada was no problem but comeing back into the US was a pain sometimes. When the Yanks asked if i was American or Canadian and i said no then they wanted to see the GC, ok but then they'd ask a lot of questions. Just when thought i was going to go they had me get out of my cab while they searched it.
So, next time comeing back when the Yank asked if i'm American i said 'yes' and he waived me through

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.