British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   The cost of carrying your green card (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/cost-carrying-your-green-card-707019/)

markaspden Feb 26th 2011 3:20 pm

The cost of carrying your green card

Hi i dont like to carry my green card but the law states you must have it with you at all times. Here is what happens when your wallet is stolen.

1. Apart from loosing your money/credit cards.
2. You have to renew your driving license
3. You have to replace your greencard cost $360
4. You have to go through the greencard process again and also you have to have your fingerprint taken again.
All this costs money from time off work to travelling to immigration center plus the waiting time to get your replacement green card between 3 and 6 months.
Next time i will not carry my greencard and if i get stopped will rather take a small fine not quite sure what the fine will be.

Thanks mark

Jerseygirl Feb 26th 2011 3:23 pm

Re: The cost of carrying your green card

Originally Posted by markaspden (Post 9203463)
Hi i dont like to carry my green card but the law states you must have it with you at all times. Here is what happens when your wallet is stolen.

4. You have to go through the greencard process again and also you have to have your fingerprint taken again.
All this costs money from time off work to travelling to immigration center plus the waiting time to get your replacement green card between 3 and 6 months.
Next time i will not carry my greencard and if i get stopped will rather take a small fine not quite sure what the fine will be.

Thanks mark

Oh dear...I presume you've had your wallet stolen. :(

We've discussed this many times. Neither myself or my family carried our GCs for that very reason...and we were LPRs for about 12 years before we became USCs.

Poppy girl Feb 26th 2011 3:25 pm

Just carry a copy and if the powers that be want the original then make sure you know where you kept it!!

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 26th 2011 4:02 pm

So the title should be cost of losing your card.

Ray Feb 26th 2011 4:11 pm

Originally Posted by markaspden (Post 9203463)

Thanks mark

3. Its now $450
4. just file form I-90 and have prints taken

carry a photocopy

Derrygal Feb 26th 2011 4:20 pm

I have been a Green Card holder for 19 years and I have never carried it in my wallet. I keep it at home in my fire-proof with my British passport. My plan is to apply for citizenship this year before I need to renew my card next year.

markaspden Feb 26th 2011 4:28 pm

To Boiler i did not loose my green card it was stolen and the title says the cost of carrying the greencard because you are required to carry the original and if you dont have anything worth saying SHUT UP

Jerseygirl Feb 26th 2011 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by markaspden (Post 9203549)
To Boiler i did not loose my green card it was stolen and the title says the cost of carrying the greencard because you are required to carry the original and if you dont have anything worth saying SHUT UP

Hey...that was not necessary.

meauxna Feb 26th 2011 4:31 pm

Originally Posted by markaspden (Post 9203549)

That's out of order; a retraction would not be.

kimilseung Feb 26th 2011 5:02 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 9203528)
carry a photocopy

At first I thought , how cute, saying photocopy, rather than saying, a scan.
Then I thought, a photo copy taken and stored on the phone might be a good way to go with these things.

scrubbedexpat099 Feb 26th 2011 5:11 pm

Perhaps a GC App?

Oops, sorry, I need to shut up.

1chumly Feb 26th 2011 5:27 pm

I have never carried mine (always a copy) and none of my Brit friends do either. Its just not worth it. I would like to know what the consequences are though. Does anyone know?

andy1 Feb 26th 2011 6:14 pm

Death !

scrubbedexpat097 Feb 26th 2011 6:25 pm

Many many years ago we were stopped at a border patrol in Texas and were asked if we were US citizens, we said no and they asked to see our GC's. We didn't have them with us so they pulled us to one side. We gave them our DL and then we had to wait. When the patrol guy came back he gave us a very long lecture and told us that he could hold us in a cell until someone brought our GC's to them, we could also be fined and if our GC's could not be produced we could be held in a cell for months......scared the crap out of me! Anyway, he decided to let us go. Not sure if the rules are the same now as it was way back in the early 90's.

Jerseygirl Feb 26th 2011 6:28 pm

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma (Post 9203688)
Many many years ago we were stopped at a border patrol in Texas and were asked if we were US citizens, we said no and they asked to see our GC's. We didn't have them with us so they pulled us to one side. We gave them our DL and then we had to wait. When the patrol guy came back he gave us a very long lecture and told us that he could hold us in a cell until someone brought our GC's to them, we could also be fined and if our GC's could not be produced we could be held in a cell for months......scared the crap out of me! Anyway, he decided to let us go. Not sure if the rules are the same now as it was way back in the early 90's.

I know a fine can be levied but have no idea how much. I think there is more reason to carry your GC if you live in a border town...especially with Mexico.