Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cost associated with US House Purchase?

Cost associated with US House Purchase?

Old Aug 26th 2015, 6:08 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost associated with US House Purchase?

If you don't have contacts in the realtor world, contact your local association, and ask for a list of the "masters club" - the masters club are realtors who have reached a certain amount of $ value sales and sold a set quantity also. Select someone who has maintained their masters club membership for several years in that association - and you'll have a local expert who is active and currently successful.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 1:43 pm
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute

when we first bought here (2008) i was horrified at the thought of the escrow account. What do you mean we have to pay our insurance and tax to you in advance and then you pay it out. seemed like babying.

However - now I am more used to it i like it. The financial set up here is not the same as the UK and things like property insurance are NOT typically billed monthly like we can back home. It always seems to be annually here. And the property tax is required to be paid twice yearly. So I find the escrow account is in fact for us, a way to even those payments out monthly and revert back to a monthly schedule.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 2:03 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
.... And the property tax is required to be paid twice yearly. ......
Depends on the state. Our property taxes (NC) are paid annually, I think in MA they're quarterly.
Old Aug 26th 2015, 7:45 pm
BE Commentator

S Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond reputeS Folinsky has a reputation beyond repute

Do note that practice varies from state to state and even within a state. There are variations between the Bay Area in California and Los Angeles.

One of my offspring became a member of the landed gentry last year and the practices in NY state were different from L.A..
Old Aug 27th 2015, 11:37 pm
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
I actually heard his body is supposed to be buried somewhere in NJ.... was it under the Pulaski Skyway?
Originally Posted by Pulaski
That's right, drag my name into it!
Ah so that's who you really are! Gen Kasimir Pulaski, 'Father of the American Cavalry' and much-vaunted hero of the War of American Independence.

Pulaski Skyway, History and Background, Construction Updates, Commuter Information
Old Aug 28th 2015, 12:14 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by WEBlue
Ah so that's who you really are! Gen Kasimir Pulaski, 'Father of the American Cavalry' and much-vaunted hero of the War of American Independence. .....
Old Sep 17th 2015, 10:55 am
Forum Regular

007fair is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by unique_boy
Ha not so cheap anymore

Overall Full-Value Tax Rates by County (All Taxing Purposes): 2004-2013

29k a year in westchester county?!

On second thoughts I am assuming that it is weighted down by some amount?
What does this table mean in real terms? I am looking at Orange County and the rate in this table is 34.20 for 2013 Is that 34.2%?
If so - If I buy a house for $1,000,000 does that mean I will have to pay 34.20% of that in tax every year ? That would be $342,000 which is obviously not right .. so how does it work and how much exactly would I need to pay per annum?
Old Sep 17th 2015, 11:09 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 007fair
What does this table mean in real terms? I am looking at Orange County and the rate in this table is 34.20 for 2013 Is that 34.2%?
If so - If I buy a house for $1,000,000 does that mean I will have to pay 34.20% of that in tax every year ? That would be $342,000 which is obviously not right .. so how does it work and how much exactly would I need to pay per annum?
See the notes about the table - 'The rates are given in dollars per $1,000 of full value, rounded to the nearest tenth of a dollar.'

So if I've read it correctly, it would be $34.20 per $1000 of value of the property = $34,200.

HTH.
Old Sep 17th 2015, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

007fair is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
See the notes about the table - 'The rates are given in dollars per $1,000 of full value, rounded to the nearest tenth of a dollar.'

So if I've read it correctly, it would be $34.20 per $1000 of value of the property = $34,200.

HTH.
Ok thanks so on a $500,000 house it would be half that $17,100 per year = $1425 per month. Thats alot .. I was wondering why rental prices were so high compared to the value of houses but maybe this is why
Old Sep 17th 2015, 4:54 pm

Originally Posted by 007fair
Ok thanks so on a $500,000 house it would be half that $17,100 per year = $1425 per month. Thats alot .. I was wondering why rental prices were so high compared to the value of houses but maybe this is why
I am not sure about CA, but the "value" on which property tax is levied might be different from the sales price. I have seen substantial differences, both over and under the market price.

Also there are other limits that states have legislated, such as a "homestead" deduction which greatly reduces property tax for owner-occupiers, or caps on the annual increase, which I believe CA does have.