Cops

Old Aug 27th 2006, 6:08 am
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cops

Ok - so a few questions and observations here.

Driving home from a mate's house tonight.
On the way back I was about 40 yards behind the car in front. The oh pointed out that a cop car just passed us going in the opposite direction. She always does this and I've always said that they can't clock you going in the opposite direction - at least the can't in blighty anyway as far as I know.
Anyway, sure enough the flashers go on and he pulls a u'ey.
I pull over and eventually he comes to my window.
"License and insurance please sir"
At this point I decide to push my luck and whip out the uk license. He stares at it for a bit and asks wtf it is. I explain and he then asks if I'm a resident and if I have insurance. I say yes and tell him I've been here for "about 3 months" and give him the card. He asks about a US license and I tell him I've been here for 3 months and I haven't got an IL license yet. I then realise that my insurance card was issued in april. He then asks for address and goes back to his car with my brit license.
He comes back obviously having run either my name/address combo or my car plates (it was my car) - surprisingly he knows I have a US license - obviously I haven't thought this through very well.
I explain that its at home, but I know its an offense not to have license plus insurance so I told him I didn't have one when I actually meant I didn't have it on me.
He tells me that he could do me for doing 51 in a 40 ( + following the car in front) plus for not having my license but he waives the license thing - though interestingly if i have a uk license is that still an offense ??.
Anyway he goes back to write my ticket.
10 minutes later he comes back and says he's letting me off with the speeding - now I don't believe that he just decided to "let me off" though in fairness he was quite young and seemed a decent fella - not your usual patronising twat.
So the question is - why was I let off ??
Could he not work out how to process the ticket with my brit license - clearly he knew i had a us one so presumably he had access to those details on his 'puter ??
Alternatively could my initial thoughts have been correct - there is no way you could get an accurate clock on a car if you are travelling in the opposite direction and I am 40-odd yards behind the car in front (travelling at the same speed as the car in front).
Initially I thought option 2 was the answer but then if that was true he would prob have come back and done me for not having my us license.

Anyone any ideas what went on ???
Old Aug 27th 2006, 6:21 am

Jaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond reputeJaxbar has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cops

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
Ok - so a few questions and observations here..

You make me laugh, cos I got pulled this week driving on a military base, was with a client taking him to a job site and busily talking to him trying to put him at his ease, forgot its 25mph. The worse thing is although my OH doesnt work there, an additional penalty can be for a miltary service member to be made to pick up trash on the base. I apologized profusely and was let off.

OH said they can tell speed from other side of road.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 6:23 am
Mr. Grumpy

BritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond reputeBritGuyTN has a reputation beyond repute

He probably couldn't be arsed with the paperwork
Old Aug 27th 2006, 8:35 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

You can get readings from both dirsections but usually only the "same" side reading is used to avoid distortion and the wrong reading. (does this make sense?). As for the licence, processing "foreign" licences is tricky and puzzling, and they cant be enforced either.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond reputeTbag has a reputation beyond repute

On the way back I was about 40 yards behind the car in front. The oh pointed out that a cop car just passed us going in the opposite direction. She always does this and I've always said that they can't clock you going in the opposite direction - at least the can't in blighty anyway as far as I know.
At this point I decide to push my luck and whip out the uk license. He stares at it for a bit and asks wtf it is. I explain and he then asks if I'm a resident and if I have insurance. I say yes and tell him I've been here for "about 3 months" and give him the card. He asks about a US license and I tell him I've been here for 3 months and I haven't got an IL license yet. I then realise that my insurance card was issued in april. He then asks for address and goes back to his car with my brit license.
He comes back obviously having run either my name/address combo or my car plates (it was my car) - surprisingly he knows I have a US license - obviously I haven't thought this through very well.
I explain that its at home, but I know its an offense not to have license plus insurance so I told him I didn't have one when I actually meant I didn't have it on me.
He tells me that he could do me for doing 51 in a 40 ( + following the car in front) plus for not having my license but he waives the license thing - though interestingly if i have a uk license is that still an offense ??.
10 minutes later he comes back and says he's letting me off with the speeding - now I don't believe that he just decided to "let me off" though in fairness he was quite young and seemed a decent fella - not your usual patronising twat.
Could he not work out how to process the ticket with my brit license - clearly he knew i had a us one so presumably he had access to those details on his 'puter ??
Alternatively could my initial thoughts have been correct - there is no way you could get an accurate clock on a car if you are travelling in the opposite direction and I am 40-odd yards behind the car in front (travelling at the same speed as the car in front).
Initially I thought option 2 was the answer but then if that was true he would prob have come back and done me for not having my us license.

Id say the UK listen baffled.........too much work, it happened to me twice before I got my US license and I got let off both times
Old Aug 27th 2006, 12:32 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Tbag
Id say the UK listen baffled.........too much work, it happened to me twice before I got my US license and I got let off both times
Wotcher Tbag.

Me and the Mrs were playing scrabble in her car back when we were dating and a CHP cop asked me for "ID". Told him I didn't have any. He had the most odd look of confusion on his face and told me to get lost.
Suppose they didn't train them how to handle people who don't carry ID..??!

Old Aug 27th 2006, 12:52 pm
Gone but not forgotten. RIP

TRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond reputeTRPardoe has a reputation beyond repute

Ok - so a few questions and observations here.... ???
Didn't anyone ever tell you rule #1 ? "Don't lie to a cop".

You got lucky probably because of the licence and the accent. I used to use my own UK licence if I got pulled over for speeding before I owned a house. It worked every time.

Now that I have a house, a job and a FL licence I think it would be a dumb trick to try, at least in my own state.

They can detect you speeding in either direction. If you are in a lot of traffic they can only tell that someone is speeding and have to use their judgement to decide which one (unless they are following you). Usually the one overtaking is easiest to spot, or the one which is easiest to remember by the time they have caught up to you.

If both you and the car in front were speeding it was just easier to stop you than him.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 1:01 pm
Account Closed

gardnma will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
Didn't anyone ever tell you rule #1 ? "Don't lie to a cop".

You got lucky probably because of the licence and the accent. I used to use my own UK licence if I got pulled over for speeding before I owned a house. It worked every time.

Now that I have a house, a job and a FL licence I think it would be a dumb trick to try, at least in my own state.

They can detect you speeding in either direction. If you are in a lot of traffic they can only tell that someone is speeding and have to use their judgement to decide which one (unless they are following you). Usually the one overtaking is easiest to spot, or the one which is easiest to remember by the time they have caught up to you.

If both you and the car in front were speeding it was just easier to stop you than him.
If your car is red - you are buggered.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 2:46 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

I don't get it. You've been in the US more than three months and you have a US license. Why didn't you show that? By presenting the UK license, you set yourself up for trouble.

The cop may have had an initial reason to stop you but by showing the wrong license, that lead him to investigate you further...

NC Penguin
Old Aug 27th 2006, 3:09 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
I never thought about it like that - good thinking batman.
But, I know back home that they need hard evidence of the offense such as a gatso snap, video footage or a verifiable reading from a calibrated hairdryer.
Is a rough estimate based on a cop travelling in the opposite direction and me travelling behind another car enough to get a conviction in the US - presumably it is but as far as I know this isn't the case back home for obvious reasons ???
Old Aug 27th 2006, 3:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

Maybe it was the cop from the Village People and he like your smile?
Old Aug 27th 2006, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah it's ok to flash your brit licence when driving a rental and then tell a few porkies however if you are driving a vehicle registered in your name then the show's over

he didn't ticket you coz he probably had his quota for that day/week/month and couldn't be arsed.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 3:43 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by TruBrit
yeah it's ok to flash your brit licence when driving a rental and then tell a few porkies however if you are driving a vehicle registered in your name then the show's over
Yep - realised that as soon as I handed my uk license over - my plan was that he would just see my license and send me on my way - was hoping he wouldn't run my details or the plates - i'll know next time and save the uk license for cars that aren't my own
Old Aug 27th 2006, 3:50 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Lucky you didn't start doing a Jewish dance.
Old Aug 27th 2006, 3:52 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Yep - realised that as soon as I handed my uk license over - my plan was that he would just see my license and send me on my way - was hoping he wouldn't run my details or the plates - i'll know next time and save the uk license for cars that aren't my own
Well, you're a lucky sod, I'll give you that. BDG, they ALWAYS run the plates and whatever else they get. Especially if you hand them a document that they probably don't understand.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.