Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Coping with visitors

Coping with visitors

Old Apr 28th 2008, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

joto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond reputejoto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coping with visitors

I have recently had hubby suggest that his brother, wife & maybe 3 of their 4 kids or maybe the 4 come to stay on holiday when we move into our new place. I tried to put that thought right out his head. I reminded him that when brother goes anywhere he requires 24 hr room service, and will not go anywhere unless someone takes them. If they do go out they expect that someone that's staying in will look after one of the younger ones. NO WAY.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 11:02 am
BE Enthusiast

AlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of lightAlienUk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Philgr
Send them a link to the car seats on Target.com or Walmart.com and your home address - they can choose how much they want to pay, order them online and ship them to you.
Amazon will happily send them to you using their credit card info...
Old Apr 30th 2008, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Rochdale, then Toronto, then Preston now Tampa, Florida.
wildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to allwildmark is a name known to all

Originally Posted by joto
I have recently had hubby suggest that his brother, wife & maybe 3 of their 4 kids or maybe the 4 come to stay on holiday when we move into our new place. I tried to put that thought right out his head. I reminded him that when brother goes anywhere he requires 24 hr room service, and will not go anywhere unless someone takes them. If they do go out they expect that someone that's staying in will look after one of the younger ones. NO WAY.

We had people over like this when we lived in Canada...nightmare...that was ten years ago and we have not spoken to them since. They were on holiday and in their mind they were at an all inclusive hotel and were doing us a favor by being there, they belived because we had money we could and should pay for everything..no no no no!
Old May 3rd 2008, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

hwylcymru is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm rather relieved that so many of you feel the same about visitors as me! I hop across the pond in August, and whilst my main fear was missing my family and friends, especially my mum, but having her announce to me that she's taking early retirement in August and plans on visiting frequently is making me want to stay right where I am.

Dont get me wrong, I love her to bits, but she has 5 trips booked for the first 6 months already, one just after I arrive there, and TWO in January. There go my plans of turning the spare room into a nursery (not that there will be much time for baby making at this rate)

And I wont even have work to escape to...And aside from my mum, I have my dad and his wife wanting to visit, my godparents, my brother and his girlfriend, my sister and her friends, and of course MY friends. Life will be one endless routine of houseguests. All of january is booked up at the moment, I'm not sure I have a day between visits, I'll be picking people up at the airport the same time I drop someone else off. I really need to start charging, or buy a second house.
Old May 3rd 2008, 10:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

LATEST UPADATE!

I've sent them a link to all the sites showing them different baby/child/bolster seats and told them to choose what they want (as I've no idea what they're after, or their budget), pay for them and send them to us. If that doesn't work, for them to choose and I'll buy them and they will reimburse. That's sorted.

Now to the car hire!

Had a very lengthy email today about costs as they've been doing some work their end. Now while I'm happy to pick them up, there is no way my car will seat 3 adults, driver, 2 children, child seats AND luggage. So they're either going to have to get a car at the airport or get a taxi.

They are complaining about the airport taxes on car hire, and on the extra charges for not being US residents, AND the extra insurance the US demand, but it was the same for us when we were at home for 3 weeks. In fact, I paid twice the amount it's going to cost them (about £1k) which I really bitched about at the time! We've now got a US credit card which gives us free insurance in the UK as we no longer have a car at home ('home' being in the loose sense of the word as home is here now! At least for the next couple of years)

This isn't going to be a cheap holiday for them - but then there are 4* of them AND they're getting free accommodation. For as long as we can put up with them at least!

We were even looking at a mattress topper today as we know she hates our spare bed. Constantly moaned about it when they visited us in the UK - but no-one else said it was uncomfortable. OH said the $80-$100 it will cost for the topper is worth the peace and quiet! We'll see! No doubt that'll be too high/hot/cold/hard/soft

*4 in the family, but 5 in total with additional friend who is coming. Who is always the perfect house-guest!
Old May 4th 2008, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

JULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond reputeJULIEROSE has a reputation beyond repute

This is such a difficult situation. My thing is this... If I go to the UK noone picks us up at the airport, we have to hire a car, noone has a house big enough for us to sleep in and we are expected to visit everyone and pay our own way.

When they all come to this side of the pond... they won't drive, as they are too scared, we have to pick them up at the airport, take precious leave, feed and give them a good time every day! LOL and yes it feels like they are doing us a favor by visiting...

I have to say next year when they are coming as they threating to do, I am renting a beach house in the Outer Banks for a week and driving us all down there to break it up (and include our week vacation with theirs) as, I now have two toddlers. We are finishing the basement in this house so, we can chuck them on their own floor as well, as we are getting a lot of guests this year and next.

I do feel people take advantage... it seems it is not a two way street however, it it nice for them to come see us all the same.

I think perhaps your guests should plan some day trips away or a few weekend ones ... if they are on a budget (as they say) then they cannot expect you to pay for thier vacation and expect you to fill up every day with things to do,just as you would not expect them to do that if you were over in the UK. Tell them you are also on a budget and the dollar is crap against the pound and their money should go a long way.
Old May 4th 2008, 3:11 am
lj2
BE Enthusiast

lj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of lightlj2 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Mandana
LATEST UPADATE!

I've sent them a link to all the sites showing them different baby/child/bolster seats and told them to choose what they want (as I've no idea what they're after, or their budget), pay for them and send them to us. If that doesn't work, for them to choose and I'll buy them and they will reimburse. That's sorted.
Good, reasonable as you would expect from a friend. I would never have worried because this was always going to happen.

Now to the car hire!

Had a very lengthy email today about costs as they've been doing some work their end. Now while I'm happy to pick them up, there is no way my car will seat 3 adults, driver, 2 children, child seats AND luggage. So they're either going to have to get a car at the airport or get a taxi.

They are complaining about the airport taxes on car hire, and on the extra charges for not being US residents, AND the extra insurance the US demand, but it was the same for us when we were at home for 3 weeks. In fact, I paid twice the amount it's going to cost them (about £1k) which I really bitched about at the time! We've now got a US credit card which gives us free insurance in the UK as we no longer have a car at home ('home' being in the loose sense of the word as home is here now! At least for the next couple of years)
Isn't this perfectly reasonable then? You moaned when you were in the UK, they are moaning now? We all need to moan sometimes, nothing unreasonable here...

We were even looking at a mattress topper today as we know she hates our spare bed. Constantly moaned about it when they visited us in the UK - but no-one else said it was uncomfortable. OH said the $80-$100 it will cost for the topper is worth the peace and quiet! We'll see! No doubt that'll be too high/hot/cold/hard/soft

*4 in the family, but 5 in total with additional friend who is coming. Who is always the perfect house-guest!
This is your choice. Personally, I wouldn't bother but would suggest one to her if she starts moaning. Either way, it is not them being unreasonable at this stage (although moaning about someone elses bed that they are kind enough to let you sleep in is a bit out of order in the first place if you ask me)

Honestly, be positive, your friends are coming to see you - it's a good thing
Old May 4th 2008, 4:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Mandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond reputeMandana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lj2
Isn't this perfectly reasonable then? You moaned when you were in the UK, they are moaning now? We all need to moan sometimes, nothing unreasonable here...
True. Difference was we were stung good and proper at Gatwick. And, like many other posters on this thread, we were expected to hire a car and drive from pillar to post to visit everyone, yet this end it's the opposite!

And driving from one end of the UK to the other and back was a darned sight more expensive than it is here!

Honestly, be positive, your friends are coming to see you - it's a good thing
I'm trying! Honestly! Thing is, I know them!
Old May 4th 2008, 4:15 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Sod it...I'm a Yorkshire lass and I say what I think. If I was in your shoes it would be a recipe for disaster. There I've said it.
Old May 4th 2008, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Sod it...I'm a Yorkshire lass and I say what I think. If I was in your shoes it would be a recipe for disaster. There I've said it.
LOL, so is my OH, but he leaves the 'heart on the sleeve comments' to me!

I know this sounds really daft, and yes they are my friends, but I'm dreading them coming. I can't tell you how comforting it is to know I'm not the only one who has fears like mine, friends like mine (or worse - family) and stresses before they've even got here.

3 weeks is a long time to have company - even if it's your nearest and dearest. But it'll seem like a life sentence if they carry on like they do at home - in their own home.

I'm sure you guys are sick to the back teeth of me on this subject by now!
Old May 4th 2008, 4:35 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

LOL, so is my OH, but he leaves the 'heart on the sleeve comments' to me!

I know this sounds really daft, and yes they are my friends, but I'm dreading them coming. I can't tell you how comforting it is to know I'm not the only one who has fears like mine, friends like mine (or worse - family) and stresses before they've even got here.

3 weeks is a long time to have company - even if it's your nearest and dearest. But it'll seem like a life sentence if they carry on like they do at home - in their own home.

I'm sure you guys are sick to the back teeth of me on this subject by now!
Sorry but I would have said something to them by now. There is absolutely no way I could go through this turmoil for the next few months.

Let's face it...from what you've told us...unless you're willing to foot the bill and bend over backwards to accommodate them it's a train wreck waiting to happen.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 4th 2008 at 4:41 am.
Old May 4th 2008, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

You'd better get some rose petals in to scatter at their feet.
Old May 4th 2008, 4:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
You'd better get some rose petals in to scatter at their feet.

That reminds me - I need to buy some roses for petals!

JG, oh but I have said something! That's why they're sorting out a car! And I've made it clear THEY are paying for the seats. But 'little' things like taking their stuff to their room, no coming indoors wet from the pool .. that'll wait until they get here. It's too early to go into the nitty gritties of my gripes. That'll have to be as soon as they arrive!

We're ringing them tomorrow and will have another chat about it all then.
Old May 4th 2008, 4:58 am
SUPER MODERATOR

That reminds me - I need to buy some roses for petals!

JG, oh but I have said something! That's why they're sorting out a car! And I've made it clear THEY are paying for the seats. But 'little' things like taking their stuff to their room, no coming indoors wet from the pool .. that'll wait until they get here. It's too early to go into the nitty gritties of my gripes. That'll have to be as soon as they arrive!

We're ringing them tomorrow and will have another chat about it all then.
You're not born under the same star sign as my hubby are you...Libra?

Anything for a quiet life. I'm entirely the opposite...I have to say what I feel...I can't let things fester. Whereas my OH is quite content to stick his head in the sand until the situation passes by.
Old May 5th 2008, 10:23 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
You're not born under the same star sign as my hubby are you...Libra?

Anything for a quiet life. I'm entirely the opposite...I have to say what I feel...I can't let things fester. Whereas my OH is quite content to stick his head in the sand until the situation passes by.
I'm a Libra. When I have visitors I act like a doormat. I cook, clean, drive people around, invent trips, etc. Last time I went to the UK, both sets of my family said "oh, you know we can't take any time of work while you are here." Plus no special food in the house.

I can't stop being a good hostess though!! Arrrgh! That's why they keep coming back!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.