British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Coping with visitors (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/coping-visitors-530117/)

Mandana Apr 17th 2008 9:56 pm

Coping with visitors

Just had a call from some friends telling us they've booked their flights to come over in the summer ... for THREE weeks!! :eek::eek::blink:

That's 2 adults with their 2 kids (both under 5) and another friend (although he isn't staying that long)

How are we going to cope with 2 tear-aways for that long?? They will be hiring a car, but are on a very, very tight budget, so going away and staying in a hotel isn't an option.

I think we're going to move!!

What are you best coping strategies for visitors? I'm panicking already! :unsure:

Jerseygirl Apr 17th 2008 10:00 pm

Re: Coping with visitors

Originally Posted by Mandana (Post 6225335)
Just had a call from some friends telling us they've booked their flights to come over in the summer ... for THREE weeks!! :eek::eek::blink:

That's 2 adults with their 2 kids (both under 5) and another friend (although he isn't staying that long)

How are we going to cope with 2 tear-aways for that long?? They will be hiring a car, but are on a very, very tight budget, so going away and staying in a hotel isn't an option.

What are you best coping strategies for visitors? I'm panicking already! :unsure:

Best strategy is the American 2 night rule. :lol:

TruBrit Apr 17th 2008 10:05 pm

and there really isn't anything to do in Katy for a day let alone 3 weeks! guess the kiddies will enjoy the pool, that'll be a novelty and then there is always galveston :ohmy:

shame they didn't go to disney, there is nothing for any kids let alone under 5 yrs old ...i'll keep thinking....

even though they are on a tight budget their money will go that bit further with the exchange rate...all i can say is the best of british :blink:

TruBrit Apr 17th 2008 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6225349)
Best strategy is the American 2 night rule. :lol:

that long :eek:

AmerLisa Apr 17th 2008 10:24 pm

Why would anyone want to spend 3 long weeks in Houston, TX in the summer?:confused: Tell them the A/C broke down.....

Jerseygirl Apr 17th 2008 10:24 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 6225477)
Why would anyone want to spend 3 long weeks in Houston, TX in the summer?:confused:

Errr...because they get their board and lodgings free. :p

AmerLisa Apr 17th 2008 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6225487)
Errr...because they get their board and lodgings free. :p

But still.....:confused:

TruBrit Apr 17th 2008 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 6225477)
Why would anyone want to spend 3 long weeks in Houston, TX in the summer?:confused: Tell them the A/C broke down.....

we had my uncle stay for 3 weeks a couple of yrs ago and it was ok as we took him places and stayed in hotels but with 2 kiddies under 5 there really is not much to do besides which the mozzies here are bigger than the little kiddies :eek:

TruBrit Apr 17th 2008 10:28 pm

Originally Posted by AmerLisa (Post 6225492)
But still.....:confused:

coz it's america, same old story the brits haven't got a clue :blink:

Mandana Apr 17th 2008 10:44 pm

Phew, changed that before someone quoted me!

I feel terrible. They're all excited about coming over .. have paid a small fortune for flights .. and there is me moaning!

I think it was just shock! They didn't tell me they were definitely coming - just rang to say flights were booked and they want picking up at such and such time, such and such date and staying for 3 weeks!

It'll be fine. I'm sure. At least August will be :sneaky::lol:

augigi Apr 17th 2008 11:11 pm

I can't believe people book flights without checking dates with you or asking how long you want them for.. how rude!!

Jerseygirl Apr 17th 2008 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by augigi (Post 6225674)
I can't believe people book flights without checking dates with you or asking how long you want them for.. how rude!!

I think so too. I'd have said 'sorry we're away for the first two weeks...you'll have to change your flights and visit for only one week'. :sneaky::D

TruBrit Apr 17th 2008 11:13 pm

Originally Posted by Mandana (Post 6225605)
Phew, changed that before someone quoted me!

I feel terrible. They're all excited about coming over .. have paid a small fortune for flights .. and there is me moaning!

I think it was just shock! They didn't tell me they were definitely coming - just rang to say flights were booked and they want picking up at such and such time, such and such date and staying for 3 weeks!

It'll be fine. I'm sure. At least August will be :sneaky::lol:

but had you told them before they booked there is nothing to do in the heat of the august summer in texas esp for little kids?

TruBrit Apr 17th 2008 11:16 pm

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl (Post 6225681)
I think so too. I'd have said 'sorry we're away for the first two weeks...you'll have to change your flights and visit for only one week'. :sneaky::D

it would be different if mandana lived close to one of the disney theme parks but she lives out in a city called Katy and there is nothing there not that there's anything in houston to occupy adults let alone under 5's for 3 weeks :eek:

Mandana Apr 17th 2008 11:17 pm

We've told them it's hot. But they managed in the heat of summer in Egypt so they're happy to stand it here. I think they're looking forward to the pool.

They're hiring a car so they'll be able to go off for day trips to Schlitterbahn and the like.

We knew they were planning on coming over as it's his 40th while they are here, so there will be the 4 of them plus another mate coming (just for a week/10 days). But we've not talked for a while, so a call to say flights are booked was a bit of a shocker. I was like this :ohmy: for the length of the conversation!!