Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Convincing company to sponsor Green Card

Convincing company to sponsor Green Card

Old May 18th 2014, 1:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Convincing company to sponsor Green Card

As we all know our managers change over time and so do the HR personnel involved with the immigration lawyers on our transfers to the US.
Which is why the promise of a green card needs to be in writing and pursued with vigor, people unfortunately/conveniently forget verbal promises and of course we are the only people who remember.
I personally have seen a couple of very upset expat families who thought they were staying in the US for the foreseeable future only to have the rug pulled from underneath their feet in the middle of crucial times of their kids education, because their green card were not contractually promised to them.
Old May 19th 2014, 1:10 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rpjs
Is it the company that wants you to transfer? If so, tell them that you won't go unless they agree in writing to sponsor you.
It should be understood that even if the company honors the agreement to sponsor, eligibility for the green card is decided by the U.S. Government. Not the company. There have been cases on this forum of green card cases being either significantly delayed, or refused, even with company sponsorship.

In addition, companies can sometimes be unable to honor commitments even if they want to. For example, in a bankruptcy.

The only genuinely safe way to immigrate (subject to accepting the tax obligations on green card holders) is through the Immigrant Visa, which gives permanent residence from arrival in the United States. Every other option carries risk, which must be managed.
Old May 19th 2014, 1:19 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
It should be understood that even if the company honors the agreement to sponsor, eligibility for the green card is decided by the U.S. Government. Not the company. There have been cases on this forum of green card cases being either significantly delayed, or refused, even with company sponsorship.

In addition, companies can sometimes be unable to honor commitments even if they want to. For example, in a bankruptcy.

The only genuinely safe way to immigrate (subject to accepting the tax obligations on green card holders) is through the Immigrant Visa, which gives permanent residence from arrival in the United States. Every other option carries risk, which must be managed.
Great point.
Old May 19th 2014, 5:15 am
Just Joined

leehindmarch is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for all the replies.
I haven't signed the L visa yet so will try and get something in writing added to the contract that I sign.

Will let you know how I get on. Writing to HR in the States today
Old May 27th 2014, 11:27 pm
Just Joined

leehindmarch is an unknown quantity at this point

Company have agreed to process and sponsor my green card application after one year of employment in the USA

I have had this clause added to my employment letter

Thanks for the advice
Lee
Old May 27th 2014, 11:42 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leehindmarch
Hi guys,

I will be moving to Chicago on an L1-A visa shortly and I would like to convince my employer to proceed with the GC asap. Any advice on how to have this conversation?

I have been with the company for 4 years, in the UK and Australia. I would like the security that the GC offers as if my employment is terminated for any reason I believe I would need to leave the country.

Has anyone approached this topic with their employer with success? I know my company offer this but the 'conditions' appear a bit grey...
But why would they not want to do it - if the status runs out you have to leave, so you cannot work for them anymore. That's the reason why the status runs out. For example, there is another version of L-1 called: "L-1 intermittent" which is used by cross-border commuters principally which does not have an ultimate expiry date, but to get it you have to convince CBP (or I suppose the State Dept. if you are getting a visa) that you intend to stay in the US less than 183 days a year. You just keep renewing it every 2 years. The point being that they have no intent of staying in the US, so there is no reason why they would need to be sponsored.

Moreover you have to have the intent to carry on working for that employer for the whole green card process to be valid, otherwise it's fraud, basically. Misrepresentation to gain an immigration benefit.
Old May 28th 2014, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

Vimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond reputeVimto has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leehindmarch
Company have agreed to process and sponsor my green card application after one year of employment in the USA

I have had this clause added to my employment letter

Thanks for the advice
Lee
That's acceptable and will give you some security of tenure so to speak, all the best with the rest of the terms and conditions of the move.