Reload this Page >

Convincing company to sponsor Green Card

Convincing company to sponsor Green Card

Old May 16th 2014, 2:46 am
Just Joined

leehindmarch is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Convincing company to sponsor Green Card

Hi guys,

I will be moving to Chicago on an L1-A visa shortly and I would like to convince my employer to proceed with the GC asap. Any advice on how to have this conversation?

I have been with the company for 4 years, in the UK and Australia. I would like the security that the GC offers as if my employment is terminated for any reason I believe I would need to leave the country.

Has anyone approached this topic with their employer with success? I know my company offer this but the 'conditions' appear a bit grey...

Thanks
Lee
Old May 16th 2014, 3:18 am
L2, GC, Surrey, OH, TX!

MsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond reputeMsElui has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Convincing company to sponsor Green Card

would last longer than the 7 years the visa and renewals lasts.
cost would be offset by less renewal costs (incl possible trip back home for visa stamp)
Old May 16th 2014, 11:10 am
BE Forum Addict

rpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond reputerpjs has a reputation beyond repute

Is it the company that wants you to transfer? If so, tell them that you won't go unless they agree in writing to sponsor you.
Old May 16th 2014, 1:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

The cost of repatriation could be considerably more than the cost of green card processing.

Once you have a green card, the company can fire you without the cost of repatriation.
Old May 16th 2014, 2:10 pm
Forum Regular

H Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond reputeH Bomb has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MsElui
would last longer than the 7 years the visa and renewals lasts.
cost would be offset by less renewal costs (incl possible trip back home for visa stamp)
You just eluded to something I was not aware of.

When our L1A/L2 is up for renewal - do we have to travel back to the UK to do it? I always assumed it could be done in the USA.
Old May 16th 2014, 4:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leehindmarch
I will be moving to Chicago on an L1-A visa shortly and I would like to convince my employer to proceed with the GC asap. Any advice on how to have this conversation?
Before you signed the contract and they got the L1 visa.
Old May 16th 2014, 4:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by H Bomb
When our L1A/L2 is up for renewal - do we have to travel back to the UK to do it? I always assumed it could be done in the USA.
You can renew the status. You need to leave the US to get the actual visa though, so could go to Canada or Mexico if you preferred, but without the visa you would be landlocked.
Old May 16th 2014, 4:34 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rebs
The cost of repatriation could be considerably more than the cost of green card processing.

Once you have a green card, the company can fire you without the cost of repatriation.
There is no legal requirement for the company to repatriate you when you're on an L visa.
Old May 16th 2014, 4:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
There is no legal requirement for the company to repatriate you when you're on an L visa.
Ah, didn't know that Our repatriation must have just been part of their usual policy, rather than a legal requirement - certainly cost the company a fair amount of money.
Old May 16th 2014, 4:45 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, didn't know that Our repatriation must have just been part of their usual policy, rather than a legal requirement - certainly cost the company a fair amount of money.
Didn't you know that you were only here for a certain period, before you came? Was it a 2 year deal or something? I think then it's usual to have all the costs paid.

Even when you come out here on a H, I believe the legal requirement is only to repat the H visa holder, not their family too.
Old May 16th 2014, 4:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Even when you come out here on a H, I believe the legal requirement is only to repat the H visa holder, not their family too.
I believe that's correct. Someone who works for my husband was going to do that, and they only bought one ticket for him.

They don't have to pay for the renewal either.
Old May 16th 2014, 4:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Didn't you know that you were only here for a certain period, before you came? Was it a 2 year deal or something? I think then it's usual to have all the costs paid.

Yes, that is true - it was a 2 year assignment, and the company policy for expat assignments applied.
Old May 17th 2014, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I believe that's correct. Someone who works for my husband was going to do that, and they only bought one ticket for him.

They don't have to pay for the renewal either.
We were pleasantly surprised to get the cost of a business class one way flight, for hubby, paid as part of his settlement.
Old May 17th 2014, 8:10 am
Just Joined

Icklerichie is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi. Good luck with the move! I went out to San Diego in 2008 on a L1-b visa, it is valid for 3 years & then you can get an extension for two. After that you have to leave the US for at least 12 months before re-applying (not sure if your visa is different).

When I was there I kept on asking about a Green Card & after a few years they agreed. So currently back in the UK but been back for 15 months. Hopefully only another 2 months away from the embassy interview. So long story short, I would get the process started ASAP if you can!!

Cheers
Rich
Old May 18th 2014, 3:01 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat027 is an unknown quantity at this point

1) Be so good at your job that the company comes to rely on you.
2) Indicate that in order to stay you need to feel secure by getting a GC.

The rest is just sugar coating the delivery of your intention. Every boss is different, so will require a different approach.

My bosses were great, and 6 months in agreed to get the ball rolling. If they hadn't have been, then I wouldn't want to be working for them anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.