Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Conversation at the airport

Conversation at the airport

Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:31 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute
Angry Conversation at the airport

So my flight at 12.55 was cancelled and they put me on the 5.10pm. I bolted to the airport to try to make the 10.30 am and arrived at 9.55.
2 people were at the cancellations counter, both with customers. The woman in front of me in the queue said they had both been there for about 20 minutes and that if I was in a hurry I should try elsewhere.
Ran to the first class check-in - no queue. Explained my situation - bird told me it was the first class check-in window and my ticket wasn't a first class one - she couldn't help me.
I decided not to trail her over the counter and dance on her head - instead i politely asked for the manager.
2 minutes later a 75 year old woman who had more fake tan on than any bodybuilder i have ever seen came hobbling over. I explained the situation. She informed me that i didn't have a first class ticket and that i'd have to join the regular check-in queue.
I looked at the queue, then asked her if she was a customer service rep. She replied yes. I looked at the queue again and said "Its 10.05. I'm trying to get on the 10.30 flight. The queue is at least 30 minutes long. Do you think that you'll be able to help me by the time I get to the front of the queue ??"
She replied something along the lines of "um, err, um, err".
I then gave up - asked for her name so I could complain then asked her if she'd had a nice vacation. She looked confused, then I said, "Well I guess you're just back from vacation if you have a tan like that" and walked off.

I have to ask - what ******* use are these people and whatever happened to common sense ??
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Conversation at the airport

Originally Posted by BigDavyG
So my flight at 12.55 was cancelled and they put me on the 5.10pm. I bolted to the airport to try to make the 10.30 am and arrived at 9.55.
2 people were at the cancellations counter, both with customers. The woman in front of me in the queue said they had both been there for about 20 minutes and that if I was in a hurry I should try elsewhere.
Ran to the first class check-in - no queue. Explained my situation - bird told me it was the first class check-in window and my ticket wasn't a first class one - she couldn't help me.
I decided not to trail her over the counter and dance on her head - instead i politely asked for the manager.
2 minutes later a 75 year old woman who had more fake tan on than any bodybuilder i have ever seen came hobbling over. I explained the situation. She informed me that i didn't have a first class ticket and that i'd have to join the regular check-in queue.
I looked at the queue, then asked her if she was a customer service rep. She replied yes. I looked at the queue again and said "Its 10.05. I'm trying to get on the 10.30 flight. The queue is at least 30 minutes long. Do you think that you'll be able to help me by the time I get to the front of the queue ??"
I then gave up - asked for her name so I could complain then asked her if she'd had a nice vacation. She looked confused, then I said, "Well I guess you're just back from vacation if you have a tan like that" and walked off.

I have to ask - what ******* use are these people and whatever happened to common sense ??
... but you didn't actually have a seat on the 10.30am, did you?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:39 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
But he did have a seat on the 12.55 which they cancelled so they should have be abit more accommodating, if only to tell him there were no seats left on the 10.30.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:40 pm
Thinking about it

BigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond reputeBigDavyG has a reputation beyond repute

No, i was trying to get one - but how could you get one if they make you join a queue you can't get to the front of til 10.35.
Oh, and its not like i was late- this only arose cos they cancelled the earlier flight apparently due to mechanical difficulties.
You'd have thought that an airline the size of american could have rustled up a spare plane at their home airport, or am i just being daft ??
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:40 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Oh dear, I hope you managed to get the flight. Yes I know exactly what you mean, dumb, dumb, dumb.

Have a great weekend.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:41 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by britontour
But he did have a seat on the 12.55 which they cancelled so they should have be abit more accommodating, if only to tell him there were no seats left on the 10.30.
Thank you
I didn't think i was being unreasonable
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute
Question Re: Conversation at the airport

The OP says the airline put him on 5.10pm. At the time he heard that, why didn't he call/speak to the airline to ask about the 10.30am to check availability?
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:47 pm
Thinking about it

The OP says the airline put him on 5.10pm. At the time he heard that, why didn't he call/speak to the airline to ask about the 10.30am to check availability?
Because at the time they called me it was 9.30 and i was at work.
I asked about the earlier flight and they couldn't guarantee me getting to the airport in time to make it so I took the 5.10 as a guarantee and tried to make it to the airport to get on the 10.30. Given that they said they could book me on the 10.30 i assumed that there were seats available.
If i'd taken the 10.30 how the hell could i have checked in for it anyway as i would have had to join "the back of the queue".

Are you being deliberately awkward or are you a tw*t on a permanent basis ??

Last edited by BigDavyG; Mar 3rd 2006 at 5:50 pm.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:47 pm
The American Job

britontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond reputebritontour has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you
I didn't think i was being unreasonable
A few years ago I had a flight booked from East Midlands to Edinburgh on New Years Eve I booked it 3 months in advance and they decided to cancel the flight 1 week before. All they did was give me my money back by this time all the prices had gone up on any similar flights and they just don't give a toss what inconvenience they create you.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:48 pm
Thinking about it

A few years ago I had a flight booked from East Midlands to Edinburgh on New Years Eve I booked it 3 months in advance and they decided to cancel the flight 1 week before. All they did was give me my money back by this time all the prices had gone up on any similar flights and they just don't give a toss what inconvenience they create you.
They are all w**kers
(By they I mean all big companies)
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Exclamation Re: Conversation at the airport

Because at the time they called me it was 9.30 and i was at work.
I asked about the earlier flight and they couldn't guarantee me getting to the airport in time to make it so I took the 5.10 as a guarantee and tried to make it to the airport to get on the 10.30.
If i'd taken the 10.30 how the hell could i have checked in for it anyway as i would have had to join "the back of the queue".

Are you being deliberately awkward or are you a tw*t on a permanent basis ??
There. You said it yourself. "They couldn't guarantee me getting to the airport in time to make it"... It was 9.30am and you should know that internal US flights have a minimum checking in time of an hour and you don't even have a ticket!

PS: you need to take a chill pill. No need to get bitchy!
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:53 pm
Senior Moment

Sarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond reputeSarah has a reputation beyond repute

have to say whenever I've watched one of those airport programs that show people going off the rails because they've arrived at 1.00pm and are suprised they can't catch the 1.05pm flight I've always thought they were the idiots rather than the staff they feel so free to verbally abuse.
However I do know what its like to be in a rush, and they should have been more accomodating seeing as your original flight was cancelled.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Philgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond reputePhilgr has a reputation beyond repute

The odd occasion this has happened to me I've found most success calling up the Frequent Flyer people - it obviously helps if you're in the higher tier programs but even on the basic tier I have found that they can get things done faster than waiting for people at the airport.

If you use a travel agent and have a changeable ticket they can sometimes help out faster as well.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:56 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I think its disgraceful that airlines are allowed to overbook and that the last to check in doesn't get a seat, when the airline may have had the money for months. Surely when you pay for your seat it is a legal contract, so how the hell can they sell it more than once. We flew overnight to the UK Christmas Eve arriving Christmas morning, fortunately we checked in on line the night before because the flight had been overbooked. Can you imagine hoping to arrive to spend Christmas Day with your loved ones and not being able to get there until the following day. The flight was from Newark to Manchester and there is only one evening flight per day.

I know the reason why they do this but it just isn't right.
Old Mar 3rd 2006, 5:56 pm
Thinking about it

Originally Posted by Sarah
have to say whenever I've watched one of those airport programs that show people going off the rails because they've arrived at 1.00pm and are suprised they can't catch the 1.05pm flight I've always thought they were the idiots rather than the staff they feel so free to verbally abuse.
However I do know what its like to be in a rush, and they should have been more accomodating seeing as your original flight was cancelled.
Yep - if they'd told me the flight was full, or i was too late i didn't have a problem with that.
To tell me to join the queue when i was prob already too late anyway was just plain daft, especially since they caused the mess by cancelling the flight in the first place.
That is the point i was trying to make.
I agree with you about those progs though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.