Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Contemplating return to the UK after 43 years away.

Contemplating return to the UK after 43 years away.

Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:12 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contemplating return to the UK after 43 years away.

Originally Posted by JCR
I have been a New York resident since 1964. A British citizen, now retired at 72, holding a Green Card, I am contemplating a return to live out my days in the UK. I receive a US pension, US Social Security and hold only US investments. I have never closed my UK bank account but almost all my banking is done in the US. In addition to US income, receive small amount of UK income from pre-1964 SS payments. My nephew is willing to relinquish his Greenwich flat to me when he moves to Cyprus at the end of 2008, giving me time to make a final decision. I would need to arrange travel for my 5 cats, complicating my return somewhat! If any readers have knowledge of a similar situation and can offer advice, should be very grateful if they would share it with me.
Hello and welcome to BE.

I fully understand where you are coming from. You sound like a person of tremendous courage. Good luck.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Hello and welcome to BE.

I fully understand where you are coming from. You sound like a person of tremendous courage. Good luck.
Courage. The most appropriate word in this thread
Old Jul 29th 2007, 3:05 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by no1englishmuffin
Hiya JCR welcome to BE, By what you said your nephew owns his own flat so it sounds to me it will be in a nice area? if so I carn't see you having any problems and your nephew most probably will be out of the country before the cats arrive home in the UK.
I can see lots of problems if nephew decides he wants his flat back.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 3:06 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
It appears more like foolishness to me, with respect.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 4:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
The OP has said he has no one over here, then why not go home, now I'm not saying he wants to go off and die in his Mother Land, but he wants to spend the rest of his day's there, is that so hard to understand. Best of luck to him.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Adnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond reputeAdnams has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britvic
The OP has said he has no one over here, then why not go home, now I'm not saying he wants to go off and die in his Mother Land, but he wants to spend the rest of his day's there, is that so hard to understand. Best of luck to him.
Hear hear! Well saidi, I think the "boys" doing good.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 4:55 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rushman
Well they al need to stop it now.

I find anyone with a "y" or "ie" tagged onto their name is taken less than seriously.
That's true - I always wanted a "real" name
Old Jul 29th 2007, 4:56 am
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by no1englishmuffin
Hiya JCR welcome to BE, By what you said your nephew owns his own flat so it sounds to me it will be in a nice area? if so I carn't see you having any problems and your nephew most probably will be out of the country before the cats arrive home in the UK.
All I will say is good luck in your return to home and enjoy all the great British Food and all the local Pubs lol.
Take care and enjoy yourself
Yes but what happens when nephew comes back?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 5:14 am
JAJ
Retired

The OP has said he has no one over here, then why not go home,
As pointed out earlier in the thread.

He's planning to abandon his green card, abandon his home (rent controlled apartment) and go to live in the United Kingdom reliant on the goodwill of a nephew. With no other apparent resources other than a U.S. pension, swapping into sterling at over $2 for one.

That seems to be a crazy thing to do.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 5:24 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
As pointed out earlier in the thread.

He's planning to abandon his green card, abandon his home (rent controlled apartment) and go to live in the United Kingdom reliant on the goodwill of a nephew. With no other apparent resources other than a U.S. pension, swapping into sterling at over $2 for one.

That seems to be a crazy thing to do.
Well I'm doing the same thing, abandoning my green card, giving up one rented place for another, no family help for me at all back home, but I am doing it, I have to for my sanity.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 5:25 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm doing the same thing, abandoning my green card, giving up one rented place for another, no family help for me at all back home, but I am doing it, I have to for my sanity.
But you are both of working age ....

I do think it would be preferred if the gentleman did a month there first before he burns his bridges ..although he may well have done that already ...
Old Jul 29th 2007, 5:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Ray
But you are both of working age ....

I do think it would be preferred if the gentleman did a month there first before he burns his bridges ..although he may well have done that already ...
True. Yes that would be the wise thing to do first.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

But youve got a supportive spouse. I dont think the origianl poster has?
Old Jul 29th 2007, 1:34 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

I agree if at all possible the OP should spend at least 1 month in the UK...in the meantime he should apply for US citizenship. He should also pay rent and have a rent book...that way his nephew can't throw him out on a whim.
Old Jul 29th 2007, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

TruBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JAJ
i'm pretty sure the OP has not decided to do this on a whim, everybody let's give him some credit!

the OP has said he has nothing here, nothing to keep him in the usa and so i say to the OP best of luck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.