British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Contemplating return to the UK after 43 years away. (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/contemplating-return-uk-after-43-years-away-468675/)

JCR Jul 24th 2007 7:58 pm

Contemplating return to the UK after 43 years away.

I have been a New York resident since 1964. A British citizen, now retired at 72, holding a Green Card, I am contemplating a return to live out my days in the UK. I receive a US pension, US Social Security and hold only US investments. I have never closed my UK bank account but almost all my banking is done in the US. In addition to US income, receive small amount of UK income from pre-1964 SS payments. My nephew is willing to relinquish his Greenwich flat to me when he moves to Cyprus at the end of 2008, giving me time to make a final decision. I would need to arrange travel for my 5 cats, complicating my return somewhat! If any readers have knowledge of a similar situation and can offer advice, should be very grateful if they would share it with me.

Adnams Jul 24th 2007 8:03 pm

Re: Contemplating return to the UK after 43 years away.

Originally Posted by JCR (Post 5100814)
I have been a New York resident since 1964. A British citizen, now retired at 72, holding a Green Card, I am contemplating a return to live out my days in the UK. I receive a US pension, US Social Security and hold only US investments. I have never closed my UK bank account but almost all my banking is done in the US. In addition to US income, receive small amount of UK income from pre-1964 SS payments. My nephew is willing to relinquish his Greenwich flat to me when he moves to Cyprus at the end of 2008, giving me time to make a final decision. I would need to arrange travel for my 5 cats, complicating my return somewhat! If any readers have knowledge of a similar situation and can offer advice, should be very grateful if they would share it with me.

Try looking in / posting in the "Moving back to the UK" section of the main forum. I am sure that everyone will be very helpful in this forum to you too though. There are a fair few who are going home soonish.

Wow you're brave thats a long long time but we all get that pull to return to the Motherland.

Good luck and welcome to BE.

TruBrit Jul 24th 2007 8:04 pm

hiya and welcome to BE :)

check out this website for the regs re your cats ~

http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quarantine/index.htm

it wont really complicate your return taking your cats, you just have to make sure they have their titre test 6mths before travel so best to get planning and good luck :)

btw check with the airline you plan to travel with re their rules and regs for crate sizes etc ;)

Elvira Jul 24th 2007 8:04 pm

The # 1 advice I would have is: get US citizenship before you leave!!!!

Other than that - living in a flat in Greenwich - WOW.... how much better can life get!! :)

britvic Jul 24th 2007 8:05 pm

Welcome to BE :) JCR, 43 year's and you now are thinking of going home, amazing and best of luck to you :thumbup: Someone will be along shortly to help you out with your question's.

Celsius Jul 24th 2007 8:10 pm

If you haven't spent extended periods (at least a month at a time) in the UK since you left in 1964, you'll probably experience great culture shock at how the UK has changed.

Why do you want to move to the UK? What do you percieve that the UK has over the US?

Also, if you do plan on moving to the UK, why don't you get a US passport? This will make travel between the two countries much easier.

anotherlimey Jul 24th 2007 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by Elvira (Post 5100835)
The # 1 advice I would have is: get US citizenship before you leave!!!!

Other than that - living in a flat in Greenwich - WOW.... how much better can life get!! :)

He would have to fill out a tax return every year though! :eek:

snowbunny Jul 24th 2007 8:15 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius (Post 5100859)
Also, if you do plan on moving to the UK, why don't you get a US passport? This will make travel between the two countries much easier.

Taxes?

Don't know enough about the UK income tax system to know whether a person of significant age ;) would get more tax breaks than in the US.

Celsius Jul 24th 2007 8:16 pm

Originally Posted by anotherlimey (Post 5100875)
He would have to fill out a tax return every year though! :eek:

Don't permanent residents have to do that anyway?

anotherlimey Jul 24th 2007 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by Celsius (Post 5100886)
Don't permanent residents have to do that anyway?

I don't think it applies to us if we're not in the country, but US Citizens have to do one no matter where in the world they live.

ETA: But I'm not an accountant so don't take advice from me!

JCR Jul 24th 2007 8:22 pm

I am overwhelmed by the rapid response to my newbie post in this forum!

To address Celsius' point as to why I would want to return after so long. I have no family support here, something to consider at my age. Also, can no longer run around to take advantage of the many cultural advantages NY has to offer. I might add, living in a studio apartment with 5 cats is no picnic! Have been working with a cat rescue group for many years and my brood were originally a temporary foster but........they grew on me!

britvic Jul 24th 2007 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by JCR (Post 5100910)

To address Celsius' point as to why I would want to return after so long. I have no family support here, something to consider at my age. Also, can no longer run around to take advantage of the many cultural advantages NY has to offer. I might add, living in a studio apartment with 5 cats is no picnic! Have been working with a cat rescue group for many years and my brood were originally a temporary foster but........they grew on me!

Ahhh blessyou for the good work you do for those poor cats, karma lovin on it's way :wub:

TruBrit Jul 24th 2007 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by JCR (Post 5100910)

here's some kitty karma on it's way....your 5 cats are lucky to have found you!

Adnams Jul 24th 2007 8:32 pm

Have you considered the exchange rate at the moment? And what impact this may have on your income / pension etc. I would seek some good UK based financial advice before making any dramatic moves.

But at least you wont have to put up with the summer humidity in Greenwich.

JCR Jul 24th 2007 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by Adnams (Post 5100949)
Have you considered the exchange rate at the moment? And what impact this may have on your income / pension etc. I would seek some good UK based financial advice before making any dramatic moves.

But at least you wont have to put up with the summer humidity in Greenwich.

Both points have been very carefully considered. The exchange rate is certainly daunting. I maintain a pound sterling bank account with my bank here and can do exchanges at almost no cost. Hoping the exchange rate will reverse in the not too distant future.

Yes, the humidity factor is very persuasive, especially during the past couple of weeks!