Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Contacting the IRS -- Is it possible?

Contacting the IRS -- Is it possible?

Old Jan 16th 2022, 10:14 pm
Just Joined

Brookside is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Contacting the IRS -- Is it possible?

Does anyone have an effective way to contact the IRS? I received a letter (second notice) saying I owed money. I had already paid the correct amount and the cheque had cleared before the second letter was sent. After a couple of days of constantly trying phone numbers and web sites I gave up and sent another cheque. I'd really like to talk to someone and find out what's going on. Any ideas?
Old Jan 16th 2022, 10:28 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contacting the IRS -- Is it possible?

Originally Posted by Brookside
Does anyone have an effective way to contact the IRS? I received a letter (second notice) saying I owed money. I had already paid the correct amount and the cheque had cleared before the second letter was sent. After a couple of days of constantly trying phone numbers and web sites I gave up and sent another cheque. I'd really like to talk to someone and find out what's going on. Any ideas?

When we had a recent IRS problem we contacted the office of our congressperson and her IRS liaison helped get things sorted out for us. It took a while, but was successful. Or you could write to the IRS with a copy of the original canceled check.
Old Jan 16th 2022, 10:39 pm
Just Joined

Thanks, great idea. (I'm also a degree of separation from one of our senators, so I might do a personal reach-out to him, too.)

(Off topic, but why can't I click on "Quote message in reply"?)
Old Jan 16th 2022, 10:41 pm
Furby

Glasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond reputeGlasgow Girl has a reputation beyond repute

Create an online account. https://www.irs.gov/payments/your-online-account. Then you can check your balance, and ask for a transcript of all transactions. You will be able to see almost everything that an agent can see. You can also make electronic payments so that you won’t have this issue going forwards. The IRS moves at a snails pace, likely the system that sent you the second demand was not up to date with the system recording your payment. Your second payment will either be sent back to you (which may take a while but your second check will not clear if that is going to occur) or if it was for a prior year it may be cashed and become a credit on your account that can be used for this upcoming year. It is almost impossible to get a live person anymore.
Old Jan 16th 2022, 10:52 pm
BE Irregular

RICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond reputeRICH has a reputation beyond repute

It is the time of year for IRS tax scams. DO NOT fall for demands for money.
Old Jan 16th 2022, 11:48 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Glasgow Girl
Create an online account. Then you can check your balance, and ask for a transcript of all transactions. You will be able to see almost everything that an agent can see. You can also make electronic payments so that you won’t have this issue going forwards. The IRS moves at a snails pace, likely the system that sent you the second demand was not up to date with the system recording your payment. Your second payment will either be sent back to you (which may take a while but your second check will not clear if that is going to occur) or if it was for a prior year it may be cashed and become a credit on your account that can be used for this upcoming year. It is almost impossible to get a live person anymore.
Thanks, I've tried this many times and it never works. I'll try again!