Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Considering a move to the US- NON immigration discussion

Considering a move to the US- NON immigration discussion

Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:11 pm
Just Joined

bonnie1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Considering a move to the US- NON immigration discussion

is there anyone out there that could tell me what the bills honestly are for healthcare, insurance and any other taxes, instead of just saying that they are sky high
can someone please have something good to say as iam about to call the samaritans for help
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bonnie1
is there anyone out there that could tell me what the bills honestly are for healthcare, insurance and any other taxes, instead of just saying that they are sky high
can someone please have something good to say as iam about to call the samaritans for help
By asking that question, you are showing that you do not understand how things work in the US. No-one can answer what 'the bill for healthcare' will be. It depends on whom you can find to insure you and what your health history is like.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:29 pm
Just Joined

we are a family of 3
as far as we are concerned of normal standing
my husband is very early 40s with no medical history and of very good health and never smoked
iam late 30s and recently had an operation to remove a benine tuma removed but otherwise of good healt but did smoke for about 10 years but no more than 10 a day
our son is 4 and no medical problems
surely someone out there has a simlar medicalhistoy and of simlar age
Help!!!!
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

Ever heard that old saying "If you have to ask, you can't afford it?"

Moving to the USA with limited funds is a bit like looking round one of those shops that don't have price tags on the items for sale

Nobody can give you a "price list" other than to say estimate as best you can, then double it.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

we are a family of 3
my husband is very early 40s with no medical history and of very good health and never smoked
iam late 30s and recently had an operation to remove a benine tuma removed but otherwise of good healt but did smoke for about 10 years but no more than 10 a day
Help!!!!
Many people on this site get health insurance through their employer. If you are running your own busuness, you will have to pay for it yourselves, as was mentioned in the previous thread. Do the people you have spoken to about businesses in Florida have any information on this that they could give you?
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:45 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

we are a family of 3
Help!!!!
about $12,000 a year health insurance for the family there or there abouts..

maybe less if you waive the right to EVER have surgery on anything resembling a tumor ever again.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:50 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

we are a family of 3
Help!!!!

That's great that you are all fit and healthy. So was my husband until last year when he fell off a roof. He has health insurance but (and this is exactly a year after this accident) we are still fighting insurance, doctors, hospitals over the bills. I'm not talking a few hundred dollars, it's in the thousands and this is with insurance.

Never take the NHS for granted!
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:51 pm
Just Joined

yeah got funds to buy a house without the need for a mortgage, along with the money for a small business to buy for $60k with a monthly income of $4k a month
could i live on this income ?
Old Jun 18th 2010, 9:57 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

yeah got funds to buy a house without the need for a mortgage, along with the money for a small business to buy for $60k with a monthly income of $4k a month
How the hell do you intend to get an E2 with 60k down?

4k a month w/ Manc's estimate for your insurance (and as he used to flog insurance it'll be a good estimate) means that 25% of your income goes on health care.

What Manc didn't explain is that if you're actually ill or need a doctor, there will be considerable out-of-pocket expenses to add to it.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

coopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond reputecoopa_troopa has a reputation beyond repute

Why not ditch the idea of buying a house and use your capital for your business needs? It's always a good idea to rent for a while first anyway, get a feel for where you might want to live, and your business should dictate where you live anyway.

I'm thinking $60k for a business won't impress the powers-that-be anyway, with regard to a visa.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:05 pm
Just Joined

to coopa-troopa
i did not think that there was a minimum to get a visa- i was led to believe that this is a myth
we do intend to have a small mortgage after a year renting
what sort of investment do you think will satisfy the authorities
we want to live in Florida ideally around davenport in kissemee
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond reputeSarahG has a reputation beyond repute

I am fit and healthy but after a well woman check up with my Dr who then referred me to a dermatologist I had to have a mole removed. The total cost of the operation to remove it was over $6k of which I had to pay $1,200 and this is after the insurance made their payments. I was told the mole was pre cancerous and I will need to see a dermatologist for the rest of my life. You cannot anticipate health care costs and you don't know what will happen. My daughter has a kidney issue and her hospital appts, scans and blood/urine tests have totaled about $1,200, so far, of which we have had to pay about $350.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

rebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond reputerebs has a reputation beyond repute

When I was putting together a day to day budget ahead of our move to Texas a couple of years ago, I found the forums on http://www.city-data.com/ very useful.

With some digging around, you can probably find out what property taxes are in your area, plus how much people are paying for gas, electric, tv etc for houses with similar sq footage. Even some idea of grocery costs, perhaps. I started with my UK budget listing every day items and started plugging in rough US figures as I found them.

It will take a bit of leg work on your part, but I should imagine the info is out there - same with health/medical costs. There are a ton of threads here - do a few searches and see what you can find.

At the end of the day, no one can answer your question with a simple 'yes' or 'no' - you've really got to do some specific, tailored research on your own.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

to coopa-troopa
i did not think that there was a minimum to get a visa- i was led to believe that this is a myth
we do intend to have a small mortgage after a year renting
we want to live in Florida ideally around davenport in kissemee
I'm not qualified to advise you on figures, save to say there's no definitive "minimum" figure. But I'm sure others will be along to suggest $60K won't cut it.

However, if you want any info on the area you mention, I might be able to help out as that's where I live
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:22 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Out of London and a regular sort of business, you're looking at $200k.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.