British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Considering a move to the US- NON immigration discussion (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/considering-move-us-non-immigration-discussion-673005/)

bonnie1 Jun 18th 2010 1:08 pm

Considering a move to the US- NON immigration discussion

moderator note: This thread has been split from someone else's immigration thread. Please do not discuss immigration/visa specifics here. This portion of the discussion is OT to immigration, focused on people bad-mouthing the US.

Hi there,we are also looking at moving to the usa {florida} and also posted a questions on here, but i have to say i have nothing but bad feed back with people constantly trying to make there country look crap.If we listened to them i think there country would come to a hault as no one would visit. America is a lovely country {places were we have visited} lovely people, more laid back and house prices and buisness now make it affordable for us.We also have spoke to people who have made the move and would not come back to the uk even 4 a visit. So good luck.:thumbup:

Manc Jun 18th 2010 1:16 pm

Re: help on moving to USA on E2 visa

Nothing said in this thread is false though.
yes the USA is a lovely country.

but scenic views of the Rocky Mountains can't get you a visa.

ian-mstm Jun 18th 2010 1:27 pm

Originally Posted by bonnie1 (Post 8640947)
i have nothing but bad feed back with people constantly trying to make there country look crap.

With all due respect, you don't live in the US... and you can not possibly know what life is like here based on a few visits or talking to friends. If you think you can, you're most likely trying to convince yourself of something that just isn't so.

Ian

Ray Jun 18th 2010 1:31 pm

Hi there,we are also looking at moving to the usa {florida} and also posted a questions on here, but i have to say i have nothing but bad feed back with people constantly trying to make there country look crap.If we listened to them i think there country would come to a hault as no one would visit. America is a lovely country {places were we have visited} lovely people, more laid back and house prices and buisness now make it affordable for us.We also have spoke to people who have made the move and would not come back to the uk even 4 a visit. So good luck.:thumbup:

there lies the problem ... you visited while earning a good wage in the UK ....
once you live here and your income is at florida income ... its not so good

have you ever paid car and house insurance water bill, electric bills did you know there are 9 taxes added to your phone bill... do you have to pay for garbage collection

Yes gas is cheaper but you have to do three times the mileage to get anywhere

Real life is not like those of a tourist

Nutmegger Jun 18th 2010 2:02 pm

America is . . . more laid back

I don't think so!!!!

goldenstate31 Jun 18th 2010 5:57 pm

I do hate this when people living in the US complain about the bills, yes they are eye openers!!!:eek: NO it isnt a country like the UK, thats full of vicky pollard Welfare/on the dole claiming lazy S**TS, to the extent the UK is. Nor is it wise for anybody to LIVE IN THE USA, if you worry about HEALTHCARE costs. The people that are majorly concerned with the cost of health care, shouldnt even be living there in the first place:rolleyes:
Or at best, stop moaning! :thumbsup: America did not ask you people to go there!

As far as America is concerned, moan about it. great. but your more than welcome to leave and im sure the americans attitude to this would be......
'dont forget to shut the door on your way out':D

bonnie1 Jun 18th 2010 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by ian-mstm (Post 8640981)
With all due respect, you don't live in the US... and you can not possibly know what life is like here based on a few visits or talking to friends. If you think you can, you're most likely trying to convince yourself of something that just isn't so.

Ian

Thats true but with all due respect you can not tell me its not for the better as you have never lived in the uk and do not know what my life is like here and how hard it is to run a buisness.

bonnie1 Jun 18th 2010 6:04 pm

Originally Posted by Ray (Post 8640988)
there lies the problem ... you visited while earning a good wage in the UK ....
once you live here and your income is at florida income ... its not so good

have you ever paid car and house insurance water bill, electric bills did you know there are 9 taxes added to your phone bill... do you have to pay for garbage collection

Yes gas is cheaper but you have to do three times the mileage to get anywhere

Real life is not like those of a tourist

Yes we do pay car tax, car ins, house ins, building ins, life ins, critical illness ins, health ins- private and national ins also taxed 40% on wages then taxed again when you buy goods and dont forget VAT at 17.5%. So there you go its not just the usa that just gives high taxes and we also pay a council tax which is for our bins to be emptied and for our policing.

goldenstate31 Jun 18th 2010 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by bonnie1 (Post 8641536)
Thats true but with all due respect you can not tell me its not for the better as you have never lived in the uk and do not know what my life is like here and how hard it is to run a buisness.

Bonnie, sometimes people have a habit of not replying to the actual questions that the OP asks:D
But, I'm sure, or, would like to think that, our fellow brits are just trying to advise you on the pitfalls that are not seen from a holiday perspective;)
have you any friends in America? that could perhaps advise you on, general day to day living in the states?
We have recently had another set of friends come back to the UK, because they didn't want to live their lives in constant stress, that the E2 often gives you!
Sometimes it can be for some living in the US, same S**T different country! It does provide a fantastic way of life, IF you have plenty of money. You see in the UK, there are all kinds of things should you fall out of work, to fall back on like unemployment benefits and healthcare that you dont get big bills for. :)

dbj1000 Jun 18th 2010 6:11 pm

So Bonnie, have you paid any money to the person who is "arranging" your E2 visa for you?

I only ask because your initial posts sound rather too similar to this poor person who's lost everything they've paid to a "visa consultant":

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672995

SarahG Jun 18th 2010 6:13 pm

There are good things and bad things about living anywhere in the world. Money is a factor and in the US healthcare and its costs is a huge factor. My daughter has a medical condition that requires hospital visits and tests and the bills are not nice, but, we wanted to come to the US so we either deal with it or move back to the UK.

I don't know a lot about the E2 visas but if you want any kind of visa to get you over to the US the research everything you can. List pros and cons. Look at the likely duration of the visa and the impact it will have on your children. There will always be people telling you not to do it and there will be people saying go for it. Take in all the information and decide what is best for you and your family. The US is one of the hardest places to get a visa for. Be prepared for a lot of hard work.

Whatever you decide to do, I wish you the best of luck.

bonnie1 Jun 18th 2010 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by goldenstate31 (Post 8641576)
Bonnie, sometimes people have a habit of not replying to the actual questions that the OP asks:D
But, I'm sure, or, would like to think that, our fellow brits are just trying to advise you on the pitfalls that are not seen from a holiday perspective;)
have you any friends in America? that could perhaps advise you on, general day to day living in the states?
We have recently had another set of friends come back to the UK, because they didn't want to live their lives in constant stress, that the E2 often gives you!
Sometimes it can be for some living in the US, same S**T different country! It does provide a fantastic way of life, IF you have plenty of money. You see in the UK, there are all kinds of things should you fall out of work, to fall back on like unemployment benefits and healthcare that you dont get big bills for. :)

Yes thats the whole point brits or people that come to the uk that can not be bothered to get a job or come here because they get homes and benefit, and us that work pay high taxes cause the low life get away with it. If you need money then get a job and work like the rest of us.

fatbrit Jun 18th 2010 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by bonnie1 (Post 8641593)
Yes thats the whole point brits or people that come to the uk that can not be bothered to get a job or come here because they get homes and benefit, and us that work pay high taxes cause the low life get away with it. If you need money then get a job and work like the rest of us.

Yeah -- too many bloody scrounging immigrants for my liking in the UK. Anything else of interest in The Mail today?

Octang Frye Jun 18th 2010 6:51 pm

Most of us here are British ex-pats who have lived in the UK. :)

Even Ian with that weird dog thing.

Duncan Roberts Jun 18th 2010 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by bonnie1 (Post 8641561)
Yes we do pay car tax, car ins, house ins, building ins, life ins, critical illness ins, health ins- private and national ins also taxed 40% on wages then taxed again when you buy goods and dont forget VAT at 17.5%. So there you go its not just the usa that just gives high taxes and we also pay a council tax which is for our bins to be emptied and for our policing.

I think the point is you have never paid those in the US whilst earning a US salary. Also, most people on the boards are British expats, hence the name of the board, so lived in the US for usually a considerable amount of time so can give a pretty good view of the things that people don't even consider when they are looking at immigrating here. Things like being charged for incoming calls on your cell phone, inflated insurance costs, charges and/or taxes for pretty much everything, etc. No one is trying to crush your dreams or convince you not to try, or bad mouthing the US, just pointing out the reality compared to the fantasy.