Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

considering california...any stories welcome

considering california...any stories welcome

Old Jan 12th 2009, 12:48 pm
Arrogant ****

dbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond reputedbj1000 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: considering california...any stories welcome

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Taxes are high here, especially property taxes

Property taxes in California are capped so if you don't do major reno's or buy a new house, down the road you will be happy to be in California vs another state.
Really? How many decades will it take for property taxes in states like Texas to catch up with the "capped" California taxes?
Old Jan 12th 2009, 6:15 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

From talking to other USC's in some mid west and eastern states our property taxes are much lower it seems due to Prop 13. Other states re evaluate the house annually and up the tax accordingly.
Now that the house prices have dropped many people will apply for a reduction in the yearly tax, here.
For our house we pay about $2000 a year in property tax (a bit less if I remember right) of course the house is 16 yrs old and we bought it new. It's if you move every 4 or 5 years you get dinged as you pay based on the value of the last sale, and it increases slightly every year, but house price increases were going up much faster. (were being the important part here)
Before prop 13 people who owned their homes and retired were getting priced out of their homes at retirement as they couldn't afford the high taxes as they were based on the value of new sales in the area.
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:08 pm
Forum Regular

sdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nicesdbritguy is just really nice

Originally Posted by littleleroux
Hi everyone

My husband has been made aware that there may be an opportunity for him to transfer from his UK position to one in San Diego. He would be employed in IT as a director so would have a good salary. On the face of it a move to California and away from the cold weather in the UK sounds very attractive.

It would mean me leaving my career behind. I'm qualified as a midwife but I have no wish to try working within US healthcare or as an independent midwife. There may be opportunities for me within my husbands company. We also have two children aged 7 and 1. Other than that we won't be leaving much family behind and just a few friends. The other slight concern I have is that I'm asthmatic so healthcare obviously has to be a consideration.

Anyway any advice, stories good or bad etc gratefully recieved. Also some advice regarding nice residential areas around san diego would be wonderful.
If it hasn't been mentioned before, make sure hubby keeps his UK holiday allowance.
Old Jan 27th 2009, 11:40 pm
Just Joined

julians151 is an unknown quantity at this point

San Diego is one of the best places on earth...very laid back and down to earth people you wont find anywhere else in the world...do it.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:02 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
From talking to other USC's in some mid west and eastern states our property taxes are much lower it seems due to Prop 13. Other states re evaluate the house annually and up the tax accordingly.
Now that the house prices have dropped many people will apply for a reduction in the yearly tax, here.
For our house we pay about $2000 a year in property tax (a bit less if I remember right) of course the house is 16 yrs old and we bought it new. It's if you move every 4 or 5 years you get dinged as you pay based on the value of the last sale, and it increases slightly every year, but house price increases were going up much faster. (were being the important part here)
Before prop 13 people who owned their homes and retired were getting priced out of their homes at retirement as they couldn't afford the high taxes as they were based on the value of new sales in the area.
I think that might be the crux of the matter - you've owned the pad for 16 years and the property tax is based upon that price.

I've always thought Prop 13 was very unfair, I've seen two identical properties both with one couple living in them, and yet one paid $800 pcm property tax against the other at $100 pcm - seems somewhat unfair for the person paying 8 times more considering they are getting exactly the same level of service from the city/county as their neighbor.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Taxes are high here, especially property taxes

Property taxes in California are capped so if you don't do major reno's or buy a new house, down the road you will be happy to be in California vs another state.
?? They go up 2% per annum, rather galling when the property value is plummeting.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:46 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
?? They go up 2% per annum, rather galling when the property value is plummeting.
But if you have owned your home for many years, your likely already paying less then someone in a state where its based on property values every year.

Better to pay the measly 2% in a down turn then to be priced out of your house from taxes in an up turn.

Anyone considering California should keep in mind its 9.3% unemployment rate as well.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 1:52 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

But if you have owned your home for many years, your likely already paying less then someone in a state where its based on property values every year.

Better to pay the measly 2% in a down turn then to be priced out of your house from taxes in an up turn.

Anyone considering California should keep in mind its 9.3% unemployment rate as well.
2% on a recent california purchase price is not measly
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:58 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
2% on a recent california purchase price is not measly
I would never have bought at the over priced values of the past few years, it was wise to wait for the bubble to burst, and it did.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 3:59 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I would never have bought at the over priced values of the past few years, it was wise to wait for the bubble to burst, and it did.
I do realise I was a twit.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by littleleroux
I have to support hubby in doing this. Before this opprtunity came up he would have supported me in going to new zealand and if we hadn't met he would have made the move to the US a long time ago.
Wow, littleroux - unless you're a New Zealander yourself, I'd say it's a stroke of luck for you and your family that these other opportunities have come up for your husband, as I have a strong feeling (from the way you speak and from my own experience) you would NOT have been impressed with New Zealand. New Zealand NEEDS immigrants as not only do their own citizens, including the majority of their best and brightest, literally pour out of this 'paradise' at the rate of 50,000 per year, they have no other major source of revenue (immigrants prop up their beloved housing market amongst other things) outside of tourism and dairy. So they put an extraordinary amount of money and effort into promoting their country abroad to unsuspecting (and hopefully wealthy) potential immigrants with shameless exaggeration as 'clean, green, low crime, friendly, good schools, laid back lifestyle' etc etc. Now who can resist that picture?! A shame then that it's all 'spin' (to put it far too nicely than it deserves to be put!). The fact is that NZers are actually bragging openly these days about just how good they are at this kind of spin (it's been a hugely successful immigration campaign after all), so much so that they're talking about selling their 'spin expertise' overseas!! Just thought you might like to know this....

If you do make it to San Diego, do as others have suggested re making contacts from this board so that you have a support network already set up on arrival. Once there, you'll find that the easiest and quickest way with a younger child to meet other mothers/parents right away is to just take your child/children to the nearest-to-your-new-home playground/park every day, preferably at the time of day when it's 'busiest' - do this and I can almost guarantee that you will make American friends with similar-aged children very quickly... if you want to, anyway. Americans are generally extremely friendly and genuinely-interested-in-you people, but it CAN be difficult to get to meet ,and make friends with, them if you don't know where and how to...

But perhaps, seeing as you haven't posted recently, circumstances have changed?

Last edited by Black Sheep; Jan 28th 2009 at 12:32 pm.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:44 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinsix
It varies so much it's hard to say definitively. Each employer has their own plan that they use, and some are more attractive than others. In many large companies you actually have a 'buffet' of plans that you can select from, some of which cover this and that and some of which don't.

What you might be up against now is the pre-existing conditions problem--insurance plans won't cover a pre-existing condition (i.e. something you've received treatment for in the past or are currently receiving treatment for) for a certain period of time like 6 or 12 months. While the NHS is suppose to be a qualified insurance company that renders the pre-existing issue moot, many people have had problems getting that carryover from the UK to the US.

As you negotiate the package, you should point out that you want no gaps in your health coverage, and if the firm doesn't offer a health insurance plan that will ensure that, then you should get the firm to purchase you a temporary insurance plan.

The key in negotiating the agreement is that YOU are doing the company a favor by relocating--you should not be punished or harmed financially by making this move.
I didn't think you could be denied coverage by a US group plan for pre-existing conditions (Clinton years). When DH was added to my ins. here, all the company wanted was proof of ANY coverage in the UK (his NHS card was enought). No other questions asked.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:48 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatbrit
The border is a stone's throw away from SD! If you need prescription meds, just get them on the other side. Probably find paying cash is cheaper than your health insurance co-pay.
Esp. if you have a common medication that is available in generic form. I pay $4 at Walmart (and Kroger) for my generic prescription, which is $6 LESS than my copay.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Black Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of lightBlack Sheep is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by tamms_1965
I didn't think you could be denied coverage by a US group plan for pre-existing conditions (Clinton years). When DH was added to my ins. here, all the company wanted was proof of ANY coverage in the UK (his NHS card was enought). No other questions asked.
http://www.calpatientguide.org/v.html
Old Jan 28th 2009, 12:58 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by nettlebed
Recently joined: check!
Few, inflammatory posts: check!

Am I the only one feeling a little suspicious here?

Edit: Ibn Warraq is probably a pseudonym for this guy. Not sure what the significance is, though...
I haven't looked at the link yet, but I'm going to put a few bucks on it being a certain somebody with a "stout" avatar. Now I need to have a looksee...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.