Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

considering california...any stories welcome

considering california...any stories welcome

Old Jan 1st 2009, 2:51 pm
Just Joined

littleleroux has a brilliant futurelittleleroux has a brilliant futurelittleleroux has a brilliant futurelittleleroux has a brilliant futurelittleleroux has a brilliant futurelittleleroux has a brilliant futurelittleleroux has a brilliant future
Default considering california...any stories welcome

Hi everyone

My husband has been made aware that there may be an opportunity for him to transfer from his UK position to one in San Diego. He would be employed in IT as a director so would have a good salary. On the face of it a move to California and away from the cold weather in the UK sounds very attractive.

It would mean me leaving my career behind. I'm qualified as a midwife but I have no wish to try working within US healthcare or as an independent midwife. There may be opportunities for me within my husbands company. We also have two children aged 7 and 1. Other than that we won't be leaving much family behind and just a few friends. The other slight concern I have is that I'm asthmatic so healthcare obviously has to be a consideration.

Anyway any advice, stories good or bad etc gratefully recieved. Also some advice regarding nice residential areas around san diego would be wonderful.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 2:53 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: considering california...any stories welcome

Originally Posted by littleleroux
Hi everyone

My husband has been made aware that there may be an opportunity for him to transfer from his UK position to one in San Diego. He would be employed in IT as a director so would have a good salary. On the face of it a move to California and away from the cold weather in the UK sounds very attractive.

It would mean me leaving my career behind. I'm qualified as a midwife but I have no wish to try working within US healthcare or as an independent midwife. There may be opportunities for me within my husbands company. We also have two children aged 7 and 1. Other than that we won't be leaving much family behind and just a few friends. The other slight concern I have is that I'm asthmatic so healthcare obviously has to be a consideration.

Anyway any advice, stories good or bad etc gratefully recieved. Also some advice regarding nice residential areas around san diego would be wonderful.

I am sure Ozzidoc will be able to give you some good information.
I think my company are toying with the idea of sending me there on a transfer this year, regardless of that I will be there every month.

I am in Northen Cali.....you will love San Diego

Last edited by Poppy girl; Jan 1st 2009 at 2:56 pm.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 2:59 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

even if you move there and hate it............ least you gave it a shot

nothing ventured as they say.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 3:30 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littleleroux
Hi everyone

It would mean me leaving my career behind. I'm qualified as a midwife but I have no wish to try working within US healthcare or as an independent midwife.
Why would you not wish to work in U.S. healthcare?

Will your husband's company sponsor him for a green card immediately? And is he eligible for first preference green card? If they terminate his employment before green card is granted, who pays to relocate you back to the U.K.?

How will you both cope with being away from family and friends?

Real estate is quite expensive in San Diego, by U.S. standards.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 3:38 pm
Just Joined

littleleroux has a brilliant futurelittleleroux has a brilliant futurelittleleroux has a brilliant futurelittleleroux has a brilliant futurelittleleroux has a brilliant futurelittleleroux has a brilliant futurelittleleroux has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by JAJ
Why would you not wish to work in U.S. healthcare?

Will your husband's company sponsor him for a green card immediately? And is he eligible for first preference green card? If they terminate his employment before green card is granted, who pays to relocate you back to the U.K.?

How will you both cope with being away from family and friends?

Real estate is quite expensive in San Diego, by U.S. standards.
Hi

As it stands my job doesn't exist within US healthcare and US maternity care is different to the kind of care I want to provide. I could practice independently (possibly depending on current laws) but insurance is a nightmare and with young children it isn't a practical option due to effectively being on call 24/7 all year.

As far as we know (but the full relocation package hasn't been announced yet) my husbands company would sponser him for his greencard immediately. Other than that I'm not sure at the moment.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 3:49 pm
Not living a 9 to 5 life

NC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond reputeNC Penguin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Manc
even if you move there and hate it............ least you gave it a shot

nothing ventured as they say.
I think that's good advice in general but the OP's personal circumstances include two children. For that reason, if I were her, I'd make an informed choice before making the leap.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 3:51 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

Here is a good review of midwives in the USA.

http://www.efn.org/~djz/birth/midwifefaq/usmid.html

While few would disagree that health insurance in the US is a pain, it is a multi-billion dollar industry employing hundreds of thousands of people. In essence, the problems that exist (or you may think exist) should not necessarily deter you from seeking to continue your career (if that's what you really want to do)

Good luck.

p.s. check the wiki on health care and on schools--what you need to get ready for your kids

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Health_Insurance
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/What_d...kids_in_school
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/
Old Jan 1st 2009, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

The Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond reputeThe Horticulturalist has a reputation beyond repute

Other's will have more knowlege than I do, but make sure that your health coverage will cover the cost of your medication as that could really add up on an ongoing basis.

I *think* (someone else can clarify this?) that most expats are not eligible for the same/more comprehensive insurance that the other employees have until they have been resident for 6 months.
You might have trouble getting a short term plan to adequately cover the cost of meds for that time. I would stock up in anything you needed before you leave the UK to defray the cost if you can.

We are on a temp policy until next month which is ok for catastrophic events but pretty rubbish for anything else. We have to pay out $600 for an hour in the ER for my 4yr old, the insurance payed half.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 4:15 pm

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

My only other mention would be to look into the asthma resources for San Diego. I know some areas of Southern California (smog) are somewhat difficult for some asthma sufferers. You might look at taking a recon trip out there to see if you can tolerate the air.

You might also consider asking about asthma and other San Diego specific questions on the relocation messageboard here:

http://www.city-data.com/forum/san-diego/
Old Jan 1st 2009, 4:16 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NC Penguin
I think that's good advice in general but the OP's personal circumstances include two children. For that reason, if I were her, I'd make an informed choice before making the leap.
personally, I think kids have less trouble adapting than adults.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 4:19 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by The Horticulturalist
Other's will have more knowlege than I do, but make sure that your health coverage will cover the cost of your medication as that could really add up on an ongoing basis.

I *think* (someone else can clarify this?) that most expats are not eligible for the same/more comprehensive insurance that the other employees have until they have been resident for 6 months.
You might have trouble getting a short term plan to adequately cover the cost of meds for that time. I would stock up in anything you needed before you leave the UK to defray the cost if you can.

We are on a temp policy until next month which is ok for catastrophic events but pretty rubbish for anything else. We have to pay out $600 for an hour in the ER for my 4yr old, the insurance payed half.
Thank you, I think my GP would prescribe me enough to keep me going for a few months (well he said he would so hopefully will keep that promise). I know medical insurance for me is going to be a bit of a pain but I kind of feel if we never give this a go we will always wonder what might have happened.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix

While few would disagree that health insurance in the US is a pain, it is a multi-billion dollar industry employing hundreds of thousands of people. In essence, the problems that exist (or you may think exist) should not necessarily deter you from seeking to continue your career (if that's what you really want to do)

Good luck.

p.s. check the wiki on health care and on schools--what you need to get ready for your kids

Thank you. Part of the problem would be the cost for me to effectively retrain. I kind of like my job at the moment and the diversity I have in the UK. This would be different in the US unfortunately. If relocating to california doesn't come about we will go to australia on the back of my career.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 4:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by penguinsix

Good luck.

Also the biggest problem is that I'm not a trained nurse. I did three years of straight training for my midwifery degree rather than nursing and 18 months to top up to be a midwife.
Old Jan 1st 2009, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

How exciting for you It's sunny all year in SD....we find that it is a friendly city with a lot going on. The beaches are lovely - tho busy, Balboa Park is interesting, the Zoo and the San Diego Wildlife Park are great places for the whole family.

Websites we use include
www.nctimes.com
www.signonsandiego.com
www.sdreader.com

Where in San Diego is hubby's company located? We are in the Del Mar/La Jolla area. I say we....but I'm mostly still in the UK at the moment, mainly for professional reasons. I spend a lot of time in SoCal though, and am aiming to move there permanently once my greencard comes through.

There are hospital-based midwives in the California healthcare system...I worked with several in Los Angeles. If you were to work, hubby would need the correct visa that would let you work (ie not an H1B). I'm pretty sure that you would need to become a board certified midwife to work as a midwife...ie further studying and exam/s.

Hmmm...lots to think about.... fire away with any questions, we're all here to help! That includes helping hubby negotiate a fab relocation package!
Old Jan 1st 2009, 4:33 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Ozzidoc
How exciting for you It's sunny all year in SD....we find that it is a friendly city with a lot going on. The beaches are lovely - tho busy, Balboa Park is interesting, the Zoo and the San Diego Wildlife Park are great places for the whole family.

Websites we use include
www.nctimes.com
www.signonsandiego.com
www.sdreader.com

Where in San Diego is hubby's company located? We are in the Del Mar/La Jolla area. I say we....but I'm mostly still in the UK at the moment, mainly for professional reasons. I spend a lot of time in SoCal though, and am aiming to move there permanently once my greencard comes through.

There are hospital-based midwives in the California healthcare system...I worked with several in Los Angeles. If you were to work, hubby would need the correct visa that would let you work (ie not an H1B). I'm pretty sure that you would need to become a board certified midwife to work as a midwife...ie further studying and exam/s.

Hmmm...lots to think about.... fire away with any questions, we're all here to help! That includes helping hubby negotiate a fab relocation package!
Hi

I asked hubby where they were and he randomly pointed at the north a little towards the coast. I know not helpful.

I'd need to do a lot of exams and things. There is the possibility I could move into training medical staff to use equipment and things. To be honest, with a young child this is an appealing option for us.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.