Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Confused Yankee wants the truth on uks example of a national health care.

Confused Yankee wants the truth on uks example of a national health care.

Old Aug 20th 2009, 7:54 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused Yankee wants the truth on uks example of a national health care.

Originally Posted by Giantaxe
Obviously there are frivolous malpractice suits, but also remember that a lot of them are not. And anyone who ends up needing significant care because of malpractice is likely going to need a lot of $$$ to pay for that care as they are almost certainly going to be uninsurable at that point. It really is a vicious circle.
It's very much an American thing that we have only the courts to prevent the consumer. Concepts such as self-policing by professional bodies are alien here.

Watching a native trying to grasp alternative concepts such as an ombudsman is almost comical. When one was appointed for USCIS, at least one of the resident lawyers on this board told us all that we shouldn't contact them -- they were for the professional community only!

Sure we should move to better ways of weeding out lazy and crappy doctors and nurses. But this is not going to be the make or break of the health care system.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:30 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Confused Yankee wants the truth on uks example of a national health care.

Originally Posted by fatbrit
How much of unnecessary treatment is to protect against malpractice suits and how much is just feeding folks into a machine that keeps on paying? No idea, myself. But I do know that studies have put the cost of malpractice suits at a couple of percent at best. This is a pretty insignificant level in my book, and hence it shouldn't be a major concern in any health bill. We can't explain the fact that we cost over twice as much as everyone else just because of the lawyers.

In fact, the reason we cost twice as much as anyone else is quite simple to identify: it's the health insurance companies, their inefficiencies and their obscene profits.

Placing the blame on the lawyers may sound good. But it's just untrue.
I'm not sure you can really cite health insurance profits either though as they make up an either smaller percentage (0.6%) of health care expediture.

http://www.factcheck.org/2009/06/pus...a-public-plan/

Certainly it doesn't help and I'm sure there is a larger impact than just the profits themselves, but I don't think it's the whole story.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:40 pm
Septicity

fatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond reputefatbrit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof
I'm not sure you can really cite health insurance profits either though as they make up an either smaller percentage (0.6%) of health care expediture.

Certainly it doesn't help and I'm sure there is a larger impact than just the profits themselves, but I don't think it's the whole story.
Interesting. So just where is all that money going? Because it's going somewhere, and the amount should leave a trail the width of an elephant's skid mark.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:54 pm
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

Interesting. So just where is all that money going? Because it's going somewhere, and the amount should leave a trail the width of an elephant's skid mark.
I'm not sure. But there's hospitals to be run, Drs. to be paid, new drugs to researched, politicians to be bought, Fox News to be funded. It all adds up...
Old Aug 20th 2009, 9:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by angel uk-tn
For the record I heard there was some sort of medical care system for those who can't afford it.
There is, Medicaid and Care for the elderly and the poor....but you've got to be old enough for one and dirt poor for the other, which even if your breadline you wouldn't qualify for. Military vets also get covered...but then so do people who work in government.

Every one is paying for this btw via taxes, it's just you also end up paying a lot in medical insurance, either directly yourselves or via your employer with the added bonus of worrying about when you most need it when you get sick that you might be fired because you can't work, thus losing your coverage and then finding it hard or impossible to get further coverage either because they won't cover you or you can't afford it.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:00 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

A big difference between the US and elsewhere is the amount of money spent on administration. That's about 30% of total health spending, or between 4 and 5% of GDP. Not only do we have these costs on the insurance company side, but think of the legions of staff on the doctor's side employed just to deal with insurance companies and bill patients.
Old Aug 20th 2009, 10:02 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zargof

Creative accounting at it's best, publicly traded health insurance companies don't like to show too much profit. This was the first thing I was told in an accounting class.
Old Aug 21st 2009, 4:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond reputeDan725 has a reputation beyond repute

"Legitimate business expenses", no doubt....like corporate jets for "business" travel, multi million dollar therapeutic retreats and entertainment funds....and so on...